Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 04:03:58 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When getting a merchant to take Bitcoin  (Read 409 times)
wallywattz (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 01:54:56 PM

I'm talking about your typical local mom and pop type places (coffee shop, hair dresser, convenient store, dry cleaner, etc.). Let's say you ask if they take Bitcoin. You explain what it is and how they can save money off of transaction fees vs. credit cards. They're in.

Where do you point them to start taking Bitcoin? Coinbase and Bitpay are the two biggest payment processors I'm aware of. I could help them download a wallet on their own smart phone, but I think if they are going to accept Bitcoin for any customer, they'll probably want to use a payment processor.

What is the minimum amount of tech they'll need to get set up to accept BTC? A smart phone or tablet?
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:08:06 PM

even without a mobile phone,just with a paper wallet,it is possible

But a simple smartphone or a tablet is preferrable to verify the bitcoins has been received
wallywattz (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:17:44 PM

Yea, I know they could use a paper wallet, but that may be too technical for a merchant just getting into Bitcoin. Plus, they most likely will want to convert to USD.

Do any of the payment processors offer low tech solutions such as paper wallets/QR codes that are tied to their account? I feel like having to either have a dedicated smartphone/tablet or using their personal phone/tablet may be a barrier for some stores.

Do any of the existing POS hardware solutions have Bitcoin payment capabilities that don't require displaying a QR code?
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:20:12 PM

I think a tablet is more than enough. I know some bars here that accept Bitcoin use tablet devices to get the job done. They surely would want to use something like BitPay if they at some point will accept Bitcoin payments, especially if they don't exactly know what Bitcoin is. They will just receive the fiat from all the sales and don't have to worry about fluctuations.

They just show you a QR code that you scan with your smartphone camera, and bemmmm, payment sent! And you're good to go, and they have their fiat probably the next day on their bank account.
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:21:21 PM

You can create the paper wallet,and after that you can use the IFTTT app in the mobile phone with notifications for that address

So,when bitcoins are received in that address it will appear a notification in the mobile phone
wallywattz (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:30:19 PM

Do any of the payment processors let you download their app and start taking BTC before registering, providing your info, etc.?

Of course, could just show them how it works with one of the basic consumer wallets, but if they eventually would be using a processor, I'd want to show them a Bitcoin transaction with what they'd be using.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 02:34:17 PM

Just help them go to BitPay and set up a merchant account. It's very simple, takes like 5 minutes.

Then they can either use their smart phone or have a tablet for it. But if they use a tablet make sure they don't just load it then stick the tablet in the corner so it can die after a while and need to be re-charged the next time someone comes in asking to pay with bitcoins.

Then you can go to coinmap.org and put them on there.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:36:35 PM

even without a mobile phone,just with a paper wallet,it is possible

But a simple smartphone or a tablet is preferrable to verify the bitcoins has been received
I wish you can show us how to take care of the business and bitcoin payment with paper wallet alone. If someone is in charge of business like that there are certain requirements imo.
I doubt you can do this without computer, smartphone etc. (ok, you can do manage your business without it, but in that case why would you want to accept bitcoin? It is a contradiction.)
wallywattz (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:37:54 PM

Thanks. Didn't realize setting up a Bitpay account was that quick.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: