Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:00:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it illegal to purchase and use the Gift Cards, ie Starbucks, Steam?  (Read 3051 times)
pinkducky (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 08:18:48 PM

Hi, I see that there are a lot of gift cards being sold for BTC, I can see $200 Starbucks gift card for $50 in BTC.

Not sure how they can sell at this amount, but if the cards are obtained fraudulently, and someone buy and use it,  are the buyer held reliable?
sherbyspark

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:01:15 PM

Hi, I see that there are a lot of gift cards being sold for BTC, I can see $200 Starbucks gift card for $50 in BTC.

Not sure how they can sell at this amount, but if the cards are obtained fraudulently, and someone buy and use it,  are the buyer held reliable?
I haven't ever heard anyone getting arrested for using those cards. But you can always make up an excuse like you bought them off craigslist incase you are worried. Since so many cards are fraudulent ones, those big companies generally would likely never pursue you legally for using them.
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:03:45 PM

I've asked the very same question before, although it was about Amazon.com giftcards.

The reactions I had on that question, were about that if you redeemed a illegal code, the balance simply will be deducted from your balance again  - but that's it.

However, I don't want to use any of these illegal codes. Next to that, you also loose the money you paid for the illegal code. Just try to find legit codes over here. Yes, they're more expensive than fraudulent ones.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
ACCTseller

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

no longer selling accounts

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:03:02 PM

If you are buying a Starbucks gift card for 75% off it's face value (or anything for 75% off it's face value), then it is almost certain that the gift card was somehow illegally obtained. I would avoid any seller offering this deep of a discount.

With that being said, there is a market for legally obtained gift cards as people will receive gift cards as gifts, as prizes or purchase gift cards they end up not being able to use and are generally willing to let them go for somewhat of a discount.
Jorge320

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 12:39:46 AM

I've often wondered this as well, has anybody used any legal sites for exchanging BTC for gift cards?  Any recommendations?
pinkducky (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 01:00:55 AM

Just try to find legit codes over here. Yes, they're more expensive than fraudulent ones.

Buying more expensive ones doesn't necessary mean they are legit.  A fraudulent person can sell them at 5% off and the code still be fraudulent.

What I wanted to know is am I liable for using one of those fraudulent card (not necessary brought here)
luciann

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 01:09:36 AM

1st of all, all those suppliers giving incredible low rates are all suppliers of a carded card.

Meaning the balance on those will not last long, and sure its "illegal" to purchase but whos looking over you? its why so many do it anyways.

Don007
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 05:26:27 PM

Just try to find legit codes over here. Yes, they're more expensive than fraudulent ones.

Buying more expensive ones doesn't necessary mean they are legit.  A fraudulent person can sell them at 5% off and the code still be fraudulent.

What I wanted to know is am I liable for using one of those fraudulent card (not necessary brought here)

What I wanted to say is that if Gift Cards appear to good to be true (thus too cheap), it's likely a scam.

The topic I was referring to can be found here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=933727.msg10237157#msg10237157

I guess the balance will just be deducted as soon as they find out, and that's it. But ofcourse we're not sure.  I suggest you not to be involved in those illegal activities.

1st of all, all those suppliers giving incredible low rates are all suppliers of a carded card.

Meaning the balance on those will not last long, and sure its "illegal" to purchase but whos looking over you? its why so many do it anyways.

Appearently the companies self are looking over you, as they most of the time find these illegal used gift card codes and deduct the balance. Then you've lost money instead you win a little bit. Just try and go for official ones Wink.

Recentely someone has shown me https://www.egifter.com/. Looks valid to me Wink.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

sherbyspark

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 07:26:42 PM

Appearently the companies self are looking over you, as they most of the time find these illegal used gift card codes and deduct the balance. Then you've lost money instead you win a little bit. Just try and go for official ones Wink.

Recentely someone has shown me https://www.egifter.com/. Looks valid to me Wink.

Op already seems to be aware of carded gift cards and asked if he will be held responsible. Just to add I have spoken to someone who had an expired gift card while making a purchase and the company didn't ask any questions. They just told him the card is no longer valid or is blocked and to use another method of payment.
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:37:03 AM

I haven't ever heard anyone getting arrested for using those cards. But you can always make up an excuse like you bought them off craigslist incase you are worried. Since so many cards are fraudulent ones, those big companies generally would likely never pursue you legally for using them.

It is correct however if you can avoid it then that is best option. May not be all discounted cards are stolen some one might need a urgent cash so one might me selling at discounted price also. Finding such offers are quite challenging
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 05:46:01 AM

OP's question is pretty interesting, I'd also like to know if I could get in any legal trouble for , say, using an fraudulent Amazon gift card to order something that's then sent to my address.
I mean, is it my responsibility to know if I'm buying a legitimate gift card or one that was obtained illegally?

MF Doom

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:19:23 PM

OP's question is pretty interesting, I'd also like to know if I could get in any legal trouble for , say, using an fraudulent Amazon gift card to order something that's then sent to my address.
I mean, is it my responsibility to know if I'm buying a legitimate gift card or one that was obtained illegally?

I'm no legal expert, but if you are in possession of stolen goods, you can get in trouble.  Do you really think the cops will give you the benefit of the doubt?  No they will tell you they were obtained fraudulently, and probably nail you with something or other.

No, I haven't heard of anyone actually gettinng in trouble for using these, but its common sense.  Anyone selling 1000's of dollars worth of gc's for pennies on the dollar is NOT getting them legitimately.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 10:29:09 AM

I'm no legal expert, but if you are in possession of stolen goods, you can get in trouble.  Do you really think the cops will give you the benefit of the doubt?  No they will tell you they were obtained fraudulently, and probably nail you with something or other.

No, I haven't heard of anyone actually gettinng in trouble for using these, but its common sense.  Anyone selling 1000's of dollars worth of gc's for pennies on the dollar is NOT getting them legitimately.
I don't think that's actually your responsability, how are you supposed to know if the person selling them has obtained them through fraudulent means.
Plus, I didn't say that I was talking about gift cards that sell for 50 - 75% of the value.

MF Doom

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:12:00 AM

I don't think that's actually your responsability, how are you supposed to know if the person selling them has obtained them through fraudulent means.
Plus, I didn't say that I was talking about gift cards that sell for 50 - 75% of the value.

ok, I was referring to what the op was talking about, he mentioned getting gc's for 25% of their value.  those are a no brainer.

But really it probably depends on the situation.  If it was a one time thing, and you legitimately didn't know any better, they might let you off.  But surely they will want to know how you got them (if you say some random guy on a forum that might raise suspicion...) but if it was say off ebay they will probably just warn you that these non-legit cards are out they so be careful
LouisVuitton
Legendary

Activity: 896

Louis Vuitton

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 03:03:35 PM

Usually nothing will happen to you. Usually the company just removes the balance or suspends the accounts / cards. If you knowingly bought a stolen or illegally obtained card and you knew it was then yes you could possibly be charged with some type of crime.
Don007
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 10:27:01 PM

Usually nothing will happen to you. Usually the company just removes the balance or suspends the accounts / cards. If you knowingly bought a stolen or illegally obtained card and you knew it was then yes you could possibly be charged with some type of crime.

That is what I wanted to say: usually nothing will happen to you except the fact that your balance will be deducted: if you have paid money for these illegal gift cards, you will thus loose your money.

I don't think the police will show up for this: I can't imagine that huge parties such as Amazon do have the time to track / trace down users who used a illegal gift card: in the end, they might not even be aware of this: they might have though that they were going to buy a legal gift card.  However, I think exceptations apply for big scammers.  For the small ones, I think you will only risk that the company will remove the balance from your account. I think it is quite easy for those companies to do that, so try not to buy (and use) illegal gift cards..

MF Doom

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 09:13:06 PM

Yes, but probably only if you did so  repeatedly. I think they are more looking for the scammers selling the  fraudulent cards.

But one thing to keep in mind. If you do buy and use these you are supporting credit card fraud, plain and simple. If no one bought these, criminals wouldn't have an incentive to steal or buy stolen credit card info. Its that simple.
Don007
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 10:03:04 PM

But one thing to keep in mind. If you do buy and use these you are supporting credit card fraud, plain and simple. If no one bought these, criminals wouldn't have an incentive to steal or buy stolen credit card info. Its that simple.

It is not that simple. Often when you buy such gift cards, you simply do not know whether they are legit or not. A seller can mention that they are legit, but they might be fraudently obtained. So, you don't decide to support credit card fraud in that situation.

Not all cards on this forum are illegal / fraudently obtained..

MF Doom

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 10:36:17 PM

It is not that simple. Often when you buy such gift cards, you simply do not know whether they are legit or not. A seller can mention that they are legit, but they might be fraudently obtained. So, you don't decide to support credit card fraud in that situation.

Not all cards on this forum are illegal / fraudently obtained..

Again, I'm referring to the ones the OP mentioned, ie the people who have thousands of dollars worth of starbucks gc's and sell them for 75% off.  No one is getting them legitimately and selling them at that price, that is a common sense situation where you can be assured they are fraudulently obtained.

But I take your point, I see other gift cards/merchandise credits on here/ebay that are probably just good deals, people trying to get some cash/btc rather than the gc.  It one of those go with your gut situations I guess
flaviojr123

Activity: 5
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 10:36:05 PM

I'm also interested on this?

Can I be held responsible legally for using discounted gift cards if it turns out they were stolen?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: