Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 02:57:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the amount that every Bitcoiner should own ?  (Read 3937 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6162

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 03:26:23 PM

I'am not sure if some of you remember this website (It dosen't work anymore) : http://amifilthyrich.com (It's redirect to their original website 99bitcoins)

According to this when the website was used 7 months ago https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2pqiqh/i_am_filthy_rich/
It seems like 92% of Bitcoiners own less then one BTC . (I'am not even sure how that's calculated since some people spread their coins on different wallets and adresses and some of them have shitload of adresses empty)

So , from that ... I want to know how much do you think every bitcoin should be holding ? (Holding means not using it or spend it just keep it safe on Cold storage or PC or whatever without touching them)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 03:36:34 PM

0,1 BTC i would say. it depends on your income  Smiley

(and 1 Litecoin  Tongue )

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 04:06:26 PM

The simple answer is something, anything, to at least first call yourself a bitcoiner. Obviously, the amount you own after that is completely dependant on your financial position and risk tolerance.

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 04:54:29 PM

10 is good.
at 10 000 USD in the next 5 years, it's a good "deal" ... use paper wallet to store safety.  Grin
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 05:02:18 PM

10 is good.
at 10 000 USD in the next 5 years, it's a good "deal" ... use paper wallet to store safety.  Grin

In 5 years time 10 might make you a whale. If there's a few rallies then the price could go so high that almost nobody could afford to buy a whole Bitcoin. If they cost $10 or $50 thousand each then people will talk about how many sats they own, not how many Bitcoins they own.
alva5763

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 05:04:49 PM

This is like asking how many shares you should hold to be called a shareholder. Everyone has their own financial commitments as to how many they can afford.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 05:08:40 PM

for me is bitcoiner everybody, who somehow secured his own wallet and had here something from other sources than faucets so at least 0.1BTC

safe spot is imho 1BTC on fancy paper wallet. considering it is 1/21M of total coins, it is great wealth:), this is also reply for "how much hold" question..
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 05:18:09 PM

Don't get your hopes high. While it is true that less that 90% bitcoiners hold less that 1 BTC, there are some pretty rich individuals out there who hold more that 1000 BTC.
Early adopters are out there and are waiting for bitcoin to reach high value. I seriously doubt it will be sufficient to hold 1 or even 10 BTC to have significant capital in the future.
If you think you can buy more, then buy, if you want to be safe I think that about 100 BTC would be sufficient. If you think less is enough - you are being naive.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 05:32:37 PM

Whatever they feel comfortable risking that they feel might benefit them right now or in the future.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 05:42:14 PM

I'd say at least one BTC. One's thing more important than the quantity though, it's the way people gets it. You're not a bitcoiner if all your BTC comes from faucets. Real bitcoiners are people who have mined (when it was easy) or bought BTC.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 06:01:27 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2015, 08:07:25 PM by ikydesu

It's depends on yourself.

My target is, HOLD 3BTC or even if i have more and don't know what should i do with that coins i will store in cold wallet.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 06:04:41 PM

It depends on the level of responsibility of the user.

Some fool might have too many coins and list it in the mishaps.

Some try to contribute to the community and establish himself even though he doesn't have significant amount of money.

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 06:30:31 PM

If you are a real bitcoiner you should own at least one whole bitcoin. Especially at these low prices its very doable if you save a lityle.

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 06:32:04 PM

problem is, that holding 40 BTC or even 100 BTC is not possible (due to finance situation) or comfortable (due to mega risky investment) for majority of current world.

I seriously doubt it will be sufficient to hold 1 or even 10 BTC to have significant capital in the future.

depends, what is "future". in 5 years, you are right. in 10 or 15? bitcoin will be dead or worth more, than you can now imagine..
cysive

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 08:23:10 PM

I try not to hold more than 2% of my net worth in Bitcoin. If it performs the way folks predict, that's more than enough to be life changing for any investment, if not, it won't hurt.

If you have a negative net worth, I would not allocate more than 5% of money going toward your investments.

Creator of the world's first bitcoin game show. http://takemybitcoins.tv

https://twitter.com/TakeMyBitcoins
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 08:45:41 PM

I'm in for the popular idea of 1 bitcoin per person, but if you can afford more then i would advise to do so.
It's not like you will get rich by owning 1 btc, atleast in the next years, but since bitcoin is spreading and getting traction, who knows.

cheers
Denker
Legendary

Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 08:48:33 PM

Don't get your hopes high. While it is true that less that 90% bitcoiners hold less that 1 BTC, there are some pretty rich individuals out there who hold more that 1000 BTC.
Early adopters are out there and are waiting for bitcoin to reach high value. I seriously doubt it will be sufficient to hold 1 or even 10 BTC to have significant capital in the future.

If you think you can buy more, then buy, if you want to be safe I think that about 100 BTC would be sufficient. If you think less is enough - you are being naive.

This is like saying 100k or 1 Million Dollar is nothing because there are people out there who own a few billion dollar. Stupid argument imo.
And what happens when Bitcoin reaches high price? Your assumption I guess is that they might cash out right? And so the price dumps.
But early adopters could have cashed out in december 2013 to mid last year for a making a really high profit.

I believe some of them might sell a part of their stash.But also believe that in the next big rally these  dumps will be quickly absorbed by people who want to get in or to accumulate more.So no big deal. A few whales sell and Bitcoin gets more distribution.Win win situation.

100 BTC is about 28000 dollar. I highly doubt that the average guy here can accumulate this in 5 years. In 10 years might be possible for good minority.
I'd say an amount of 5-25, or maybe 50 BTC if someone really can afford it, is a really good amount to aim out for.

Keep in mind the risk. So do yourself a favour and only invest what you can afford to lose.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 09:04:19 PM

This is like saying 100k or 1 Million Dollar is nothing because there are people out there who own a few billion dollar. Stupid argument imo.
And what happens when Bitcoin reaches high price? Your assumption I guess is that they might cash out right? And so the price dumps.
But early adopters could have cashed out in december 2013 to mid last year for a making a really high profit.

I believe some of them might sell a part of their stash.But also believe that in the next big rally these  dumps will be quickly absorbed by people who want to get in or to accumulate more.So no big deal. A few whales sell and Bitcoin gets more distribution.Win win situation.

100 BTC is about 28000 dollar. I highly doubt that the average guy here can accumulate this in 5 years. In 10 years might be possible for good minority.
I'd say an amount of 5-25, or maybe 50 BTC if someone really can afford it, is a really good amount to aim out for.

Keep in mind the risk. So do yourself a favour and only invest what you can afford to lose.

I also agree with this, if you are the type of person that can afford that much, but if thats not the case , even 1 btc should be enough to give you your place in the game.
In the future i think that bitcoin will either die out, or be insanely on the price, so even holding 1 btc in notable.

cheers
coinableS
Legendary

Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 02:33:42 AM

Yea there are some people with thousands but there are billions of people with zero. If bitcoin catches on and becomes a "go to" for store of value or remittance or another market, those billions of people with zero will want some of your measly 1 bitcoin, and you can bet that if any of those billions with zero are wealthy, they will want to be bitcoin wealthy and pay a great deal to carry their existing wealth over into the crypto world.

juankburke

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:40:06 AM

i am pretty sure there are many early adopters of bitcoin who have a really nice amounts of bitcoins which they are holding but i guess users who are getting on with bitcoin now should hold somewhere between 5 to 10 for some future where it will go upto 10,000 or 20,000 one day Cheesy Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: