Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 10:23:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiplying the price by 10 after each halving, is it right ?  (Read 3053 times)
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 07:14:17 PM

Hello,

I saw people talking about multiplying the price by 10 after each halving.

Let's say before the having we will have a price of $250 for example, then the rally after the halving would put us at $2,500 and so on.

Is it right ?

I'm trying also to figure a mathematical equation where how will the price moves after halving, in theory.

Quote from:  Satoshi Nakamoto
Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 07:24:33 PM

There's only been one halving. Every time it happens the landscape will be radically different. It was a totally different market back then. A lot happens in 4-5 years. I don't think there's any way of predicting how the price would react.
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 07:30:13 PM

it would be great tough, but i doubt i'll be that lucky  Grin

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 07:32:38 PM

per 25x ...  Wink
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1078976.0

SmoothCurves

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 07:36:08 PM

$300 in 2017? That would mean an epic amount of accumulation for most people posting here.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 08:26:53 PM

Many different factors will play the role of bitcoin price before and after the halving. Some kind of equilibrium will have to be found since don't forget, blocks that miners mine will have half of the bitcoins in them after the halving. These miners have to pay for the electricity and their rigs, so will the difficulty drop since some miners will become unprofitable or will the price rise and then miners will find an equilibrium?

This halving will be completely different from the last halving and it will be interesting to see how will whole Bitcoin market react.
gotmilk_

Activity: 442

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 08:38:03 PM

This halving (and next next ones) will bring much bigger spike than previous one. Why? Because much more people will own bitcoin. We are still not even near mass adoption...  Wink
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 11:03:33 PM

so many people seem to have very unreasonable high price predictions due to the halving next year. demand must be there to go up significantly.
farting_shot

Activity: 318
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 11:15:18 PM

so many people seem to have very unreasonable high price predictions due to the halving next year. demand must be there to go up significantly.

It's called "mass delusion" caused by the siren songs sung by the bulltards, early adopters and whales. I'm willing to bet this won't happen due to too many people expecting it to happen. BTW, there's no demand for btc. Have you seen the buy volume lately? It's almost zero. No one wants to buy your crap coins no more. China men don't want to buy any more either. I pity you, a bag holder.
gotmilk_

Activity: 442

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 11:29:15 PM

It is not just halving but also % of all mined coins... Currently we are over 75% of all coins that will be ever mined.
Also it is estimated that 25-30% of all (currently) existing coins is already lost.
We are still in early ages of bitcoin more than 99% of all people on the earth never heard about bitcoin.

You do the math.
geofflosophy

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:28:26 AM

Hello,

Let's say before the having we will have a price of $250 for example, then the rally after the halving would put us at $2,500 and so on.

Is it right ?

I'm trying also to figure a mathematical equation where how will the price moves after halving, in theory.

Yes, my math agrees with yours, and it also predicts that we'll see $10k or very near it before the slide back to $2500.

But this is going to happen before the halving, I don't think the halving matters as it's already baked in.
futurebit640

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:34:00 AM

x10 is too high. We can assume if Bitcoin investment interest stays the same (meaning the same amount of dollar value is flowing into it) the price will double after the halving.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:56:25 PM

There should be a large mining efficiency raise before we start to see a major rally. Waiting for the future chip technology, but not quantum computing, it is far far from practical to do any sha256 related calculation

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 01:39:33 PM

People will make the price go higher than the last ATH this time. This is a law in stocks: Once a psychological barrier is crossed twice (specially the iconic 1.000 USD one) everything is possible.
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 04:18:47 AM

Yes, people are so focused on the supply side of Bitcoin, they tend to forget the demand side.
If demand declines then the effect of the drop in supply would be understated.

ashour

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 04:55:32 AM

Those are just speculations,  a 25x price increase seems too optimistic. After the halving of 2016 the price of bitcoin will definitely  rise since the supply will be cut by half.
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 05:00:29 AM

Hello,

Is it right ?

it happened 1 time so far so you can not make a rule out of it.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 08:55:14 AM

Hello,

Is it right ?

I think it will go up, its hard to find a reason why it wouldnt push the price up, if we look at litecoin it can be a good measure.  Maybe we would have a spike before the halving even happens.
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:32:52 AM

Hello,

Is it right ?

I think it will go up, its hard to find a reason why it wouldnt push the price up, if we look at litecoin it can be a good measure.  Maybe we would have a spike before the halving even happens.

Yes, the price will go up in anticipation of the halving. You can not be sure what will happen on that day.

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 01:07:56 PM

Hello,

Is it right ?

i am looking forward to seeing how the market will react because of the upcoming block reward halving but to assume that it will be 10X afterwards is a wrong assumption.
but most definitely the price will go up because of it

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 03:26:58 PM

Those are just speculations,  a 25x price increase seems too optimistic. After the halving of 2016 the price of bitcoin will definitely  rise since the supply will be cut by half.

That will be the case if the demand stays at least the same, which im assuming that will be it, if not higher. IT should be higher since a year from now in the bitcoin world is an eternity and lots of things can happen. Things are evolving fast and it's easy to miss on important stuff unless you are monitoring new sites and reading forums all day.
SmoothCurves

Activity: 379

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 09:22:23 PM

That will be the case if the demand stays at least the same, which im assuming that will be it, if not higher. IT should be higher since a year from now in the bitcoin world is an eternity and lots of things can happen. Things are evolving fast and it's easy to miss on important stuff unless you are monitoring new sites and reading forums all day.

I agree. I think the move up after halving will be bigger than expected and go right past 1k.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 07:54:33 AM

If you're not a miner, the halving shouldn't have much effect.  14.5 million of 21 million bitcoins have already been mined. Everybody knows this event is coming, so it should already be priced in.

If you are a miner, then you're running spreadsheets to see what equipment to keep, what equipment to dump, and what equipment to buy. Much of the older gear will be junked at the halving.
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:45:51 AM

If you're not a miner, the halving shouldn't have much effect.  14.5 million of 21 million bitcoins have already been mined. Everybody knows this event is coming, so it should already be priced in.

If you are a miner, then you're running spreadsheets to see what equipment to keep, what equipment to dump, and what equipment to buy. Much of the older gear will be junked at the halving.

That means you expect a significant drop in bitcoins hashrate after the halving?
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 04:33:51 PM

I think precisely because of the fact that everyone is expecting something, even if it's nothing, but everyone has the halving date on their minds, because of this, a huge pump can happen. The market game is a psychological one after all, psychology defeats all possible TA.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 05:42:31 PM

I think precisely because of the fact that everyone is expecting something, even if it's nothing, but everyone has the halving date on their minds, because of this, a huge pump can happen. The market game is a psychological one after all, psychology defeats all possible TA.

Not directly comparable of course, but Doge did nothing with its halving. Litecoin's upcoming happening will be an interesting test case.
aakashsangwan

Activity: 994

PUGG.io

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 06:12:26 PM

There is no proper way to find out how much a thing will cost after x amount of time.
It's based only upon the demand and supplies.
If supply is more and demand is less then prices fall.
If the demand is high and supply is low then the prices rise.
So at the time of halving the demand will be more and the supply will be reduced to half, so the prices will rise but by how much that is unpredictable.

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1353

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 06:31:37 PM

10x isn't attainable without a huge demand. Of course, for the price to go up, there must be someone on the buying side to drive the price upwards. If halving occurs without a huge demand, don't expect an upward surge in price. It heavily depends on many different factors and not just the fact that the  mined supply will be diminished by 1/2.
ridery99

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:37:49 PM

This halving (and next next ones) will bring much bigger spike than previous one. Why? Because much more people will own bitcoin. We are still not even near mass adoption...  Wink

People who are interested in bitcoin already invested in. It's not 2012 anymore
OBAViJEST

Activity: 714

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 07:43:31 PM

Holding on to LTC - how long until the halving?
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:51:55 PM

Yeah.

Right.

It took grandma a decade or more to start using email. That's free, zero risk and does nothing but enhance your life.

If BTC happens at all, it's going to take a long arse time before you're getting satoshis instead of a Werthers Original in return for having some gnarled fingers rammed up your hairless pussy.

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1353

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:43:26 PM

Check here: http://bitcoinclock.com/
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 11:03:03 PM

The exciting thing with bitcoin is that no one knows what is going to happen, because all the traditional financial and economy models do not apply to some currency with limited supply and instant international reach, which has never happened in human history

luciann

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 11:21:18 PM

I would just sell it now instead of holding it..

I mean we have bitcoin problem as it is with the whole china and their demands of wanting a bigger block and stuff.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:28:40 AM

ltc halving p&d is done already no need to hold that deadbag, better to join the bitcoin train at it is right now and waiting for a real halving effect

it should be clear for everyone that you should not expect any increase in the exact moment of the halving, i would say that x10 is possible in a timeframe of many months before and after the halving
Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:44:26 AM

It's far too long
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 10:53:08 AM

they said the same thing back in 2012.

most of people still dont know enough about BTC, so I think there is enough room for another rise
marcos19

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:40:44 PM

Halving is already calculated in current price, dream on!
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:05:39 PM

I don't believe that "it should already be priced in" is true.  Going from 3600 new coins produced every day to 1800 is pretty dramatic, and 2012-2013 showed just what kind of effect on price that halving can have when we went from 7200/day to 3600/day.

I also don't think that 2013's two insane bubbles were driven by halving alone, but it definitely played a part, and it will play a part in the supply and demand of 2015/2016/2017 as well.
ammy009

Activity: 303

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 07:06:08 PM

Hello,

Is it right ?

no one can exact predict on the upcoming halving .......... it will be x10 / x2 / x0.5  Grin

ashfaq

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:26:33 PM

how many coins r actually mined till now ??

malphite

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:00:09 PM

you can go to blockchains web tabs on the top. click on the tab "charts" then click on total of bitcoins in circulation.

that pretty much answers how much are mined up til this current point.

Its at 14 mill at this moment.
ashfaq

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 09:09:43 PM

you can go to blockchains web tabs on the top. click on the tab "charts" then click on total of bitcoins in circulation.

that pretty much answers how much are mined up til this current point.

Its at 14 mill at this moment.
yeah i know that but many coins r like wasted so r they not replaced by new coins ??..or what happens ?

OBAViJEST

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 07:10:59 AM

Hopefully litecoin rises...been holding on until this halving Cheesy
ashfaq

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 09:16:21 AM

Dont hold more than you cant afford to lose ,these events are not absolute they are very vulnerable and also very much unpredictable even a second before the halving loll....what if price rises and people like dump millions Huh price would go back to cents .

OBAViJEST

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 12:35:18 PM

Dont hold more than you cant afford to lose

That's been my strategy since beginning Cheesy

But now, however long later, I'm accumulating enough that I would NOT want to lose!
Monopoly

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 02:03:44 PM

Hello,

Is it right ?

Who said that ? price is depend on Supply and Demand ........ without demand BTC is nothing more than bits .....
Shiver

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 02:24:01 PM

I'm not convinced anymore that halving will have any sustained effect.  We might see a short term fizzle of a firework that disappoints perhaps.

Too many people have the same opinion, so likely it won't happen.  If you count the number of Billionaires in the world compared to the rest of us, then herd thinking doesn't seem to make you (us) stand out.  If you want to be Neil Armstrong then you don't go purely for safety, as there are no herds on 'da moon' that I'm currently aware of.

I mean, if you're convinced that it will go up 10x or 25x by next year, then why not mortgage everything and sell your grandma, car and that half gallon of milk in the refrigerator while prices are lower than what they're anticipated to be within the next year?

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:36:24 PM

http://bitcoinclock.com/

it's move ... 2016-07-27
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: