Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:23:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: best mother board for mining  (Read 2587 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 02:25:15 PM

The Gridseed 80 actually is 2 "blades" in one device, one USB port per "blade" is needed.

Power is provided via a "barrel" type connector, +12V - you can do this from a computer-type power supply, or a 12V "brick" type.

Raspberry Pi does NOT provide power - it's a small computer you can use to run the blades with.

There is a specific cgminer that is set up to run these, or check github for the source - I don't have a url handy. You need one of the versions (preferably the most recent) that specifically says it supports Gridseed devices. There was an earlier Gridseed "orb" that older cgminer "gridseed support" versions worked with, also works with the blade but doesn't report the hashrate correctly and might not support the correct number of chips that are on the blade.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
tech_solutions

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:45:04 PM

can anyone help me out which computer hardware is good for minning  Smiley
splat44 (OP)

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:34:07 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2015, 08:11:33 PM by splat44

Ok, let's see
1) Windows PC
2) Raspberry Pi

So gridseed can run on either system right?

The Gridseed 80 actually is 2 "blades" in one device, one USB port per "blade" is needed.

Power is provided via a "barrel" type connector, +12V - you can do this from a computer-type power supply, or a 12V "brick" type.

Raspberry Pi does NOT provide power - it's a small computer you can use to run the blades with.

There is a specific cgminer that is set up to run these, or check github for the source - I don't have a url handy. You need one of the versions (preferably the most recent) that specifically says it supports Gridseed devices. There was an earlier Gridseed "orb" that older cgminer "gridseed support" versions worked with, also works with the blade but doesn't report the hashrate correctly and might not support the correct number of chips that are on the blade.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 10:50:30 PM

I have run my Gridseeds on a windows system, and a Linux system. The Pi is commonly used to run a small Linux system, but I already had existing LINUX machines around so I just used one of those.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
Strannik-74

Activity: 348
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:12:05 AM

Do not engage in this nonsense, buy Asrock PRO BTC + 6x GTX750Ti / 950! / 960/970 and dig safely. After the NVidia Maxwell, farm on Radeon no longer relevant.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:36:49 AM

Do not engage in this nonsense, buy Asrock PRO BTC + 6x GTX750Ti / 950! / 960/970 and dig safely. After the NVidia Maxwell, farm on Radeon no longer relevant.

Probably a good setup for X11 or such, but it's gonna LOSE money hand-over-fist for Scrypt or SHA256.

I do agree that the Maxwell NVidia cards are the way to go for cryptomining on GPU-viable coins now.

splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 05:45:17 AM

Ok, now I see!

I was confuse in term of input and output on gridseed device!
I see in order to use full mh we need using two blades with 2 power supplies!

Ah, so both blade can be run on same operating systems!

How coins are you earning in 24 hours for example? I'm just curious!

I have run my Gridseeds on a windows system, and a Linux system. The Pi is commonly used to run a small Linux system, but I already had existing LINUX machines around so I just used one of those.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:04:58 PM

Each "blade" runs about 2.5 MH/s at the "stock" 750 Mhz clock setting, but I recommend downclocking them a little unless you have a COLD room to put them in.

I'm pulling in a hair under .05 Litecoin/day right now per blade, plus a few Dogecoin occasionally via my pool's Merged Mining.

I have run up to 6 blades on one machine with one cgminer, if you had enough of them with hubs I've read you can run up to 20 per cgminer.

splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 09:52:09 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2015, 10:20:48 PM by splat44

I live on a basement apartment and I have no problems with heat.

I few questions about miner softwares:
bfgminer and cgminer

bfgminer:
According bitcointalk we read the following
- radeon driver is disable by default
- CPU as well (Not included in window built)

It possible to mine via radeon including with gridseed at same time?
We mine multiple coins?
It would be great to know command setting to use script and to truly recognize two blades

cgminer:
There too many reports seems say it has problems recognize two blades for me consider.

Assume I get gridseed devices:
1) two blade for a computer
2) other one for another computer and a laptop.

2nd option, will allow connecting a blade to a windows PC and other on laptop (That's possible right)?
Shouldn't damage laptop, correct?

Each "blade" runs about 2.5 MH/s at the "stock" 750 Mhz clock setting, but I recommend downclocking them a little unless you have a COLD room to put them in.

I'm pulling in a hair under .05 Litecoin/day right now per blade, plus a few Dogecoin occasionally via my pool's Merged Mining.

I have run up to 6 blades on one machine with one cgminer, if you had enough of them with hubs I've read you can run up to 20 per cgminer.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 12:26:25 AM

You can mine with both GPU and Gridseeds on the same machine.
 (I did this with a couple of Radions mining Darkcoin (X11) and up to 3x Gridseed 80 units (6 "blades") mining Lightcoin on the same Linux box for a while).

I WILL say that Linux was more reliable on running multiple blades, but if you have a Windows machine you're not running much of anything else on it works fairly well.

You have to run a seperate instances of cgminer, one for whatever you are GPU mining and one to run the Gridseeds.
 You would DEFINITELY have to run seperate cgminer instances for each class of coins (by algorythm, Scrypt/X11/X13/etc.).

To the best of my knowlage nothing BUT cgminer ever supported Gridseeds, but since I had cgminer working I didn't really bother looking into anything else after I got it working.

Any machine that can run cgminer AND has at least one USB port can run Gridseeds. Not sure I'd do it on a laptop as I don't trust laptops to not overheat when running 24/7 but should work OK if you have good enough cooling on the laptop.

splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 08:09:09 AM

I checked latest version of cgminer 4.9.2
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.msg12269796#msg12269796

Apparent;y no altcoin support in master cgminer
After looking at readme and cannot find scrypt support neither

Can you explain that?

Would be great knowing which version that support gridspeed device though!

You can mine with both GPU and Gridseeds on the same machine.
 (I did this with a couple of Radions mining Darkcoin (X11) and up to 3x Gridseed 80 units (6 "blades") mining Lightcoin on the same Linux box for a while).

I WILL say that Linux was more reliable on running multiple blades, but if you have a Windows machine you're not running much of anything else on it works fairly well.

You have to run a seperate instances of cgminer, one for whatever you are GPU mining and one to run the Gridseeds.
 You would DEFINITELY have to run seperate cgminer instances for each class of coins (by algorythm, Scrypt/X11/X13/etc.).

To the best of my knowlage nothing BUT cgminer ever supported Gridseeds, but since I had cgminer working I didn't really bother looking into anything else after I got it working.

Any machine that can run cgminer AND has at least one USB port can run Gridseeds. Not sure I'd do it on a laptop as I don't trust laptops to not overheat when running 24/7 but should work OK if you have good enough cooling on the laptop.

xingqiaoyin

Activity: 395

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 11:53:19 AM

Not if you're mining ether... Wink
splat44 (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 02:01:23 PM

You mentioned that earliest cgminer doesn't support correct number of chips that are on the blade.

I've found that most recent one that does:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=571255.msg6261888#msg6261888

I understand I need some other thing as seen below for rasbperry I think:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install autoconf autogen libtool uthash-dev libjansson-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libusb-dev libncurses-dev git-core –y screen

getting and using GIT:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/jmordica/cgminer-gc3355.git
cd cgminer-gc3355
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-scrypt --enable-gridseed --disable-gpu
make

above code, is --disable-gpu can be left out?
I simply want to mine on raspberry PI 2 (without display)
What I mean is accessing PI with putty.
I know how to use putty based on enough information

Using cgminer:
Code:
./cgminer --scrypt -o server <address>:<port> -u <username> -p <password> --gridseed-options=baud=115200 freq=850 chips=80 --hotplug 30

According to README.md of cgminer, we see GC3355-specific options can be specified via --gridseed-options:
The default number of chips is 5 and since this miner support 40 chips per blade, I think the above setting is correct!

can you confirm what I provided so far should work on raspberry PI 2?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: