Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:05:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: best mother board for mining  (Read 2587 times)
splat44 (OP)

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 10:42:39 PM

Which asus board is best for ecurrency mining?

Here spec
FM2+ socketed
AMD chip (up to 4 cores)
4 pci express x16

or
Intel® Socket 1150 for 4th Generation Core™ i7
Intel® 22 nm CPU
4 pci express x16

I know some asus board has the following:
intel core i7
4 pci express x1

Using those extenders, would it not burn board?
I read when using extenders from x1 to x16, will still run as x1 and not x16

Lots asus board support radeon gpu crossfire, is it recommend or suggested using crossfire support for mining?
Grout

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 11:04:11 PM

Here spec
FM2+ socketed
AMD chip (up to 4 cores)
4 pci express x16

or
Intel® 22 nm CPU
4 pci express x16

I'd go with Intel since Haswell CPUs are more energy efficient. But above all, I'd go with the cheapest: every $ you put in your hardware will push your ROI further back.

intel core i7
4 pci express x1

It's always a risk. Use powered risers if you want to be safe, that way the power comes directly from the PSU and the mobo stays chilly.

Lots asus board support radeon gpu crossfire, is it recommend or suggested using crossfire support for mining?

Yes, hybrid extenders run at 1x.
And no performance gain using SLI/Crossfire.
splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:14:30 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2015, 02:32:59 AM by splat44

Alright, I came through following:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/Z87A/specifications/

Has followings:
Intel® Socket 1150 for 4th Generation Core™ i7/Core™ i5/Core™ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors
Supports Intel® 22 nm CPU

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x2 mode)

So mining with 3 gpu(s) should do right and using ic7 (4 cores) won't be performance problem?

Good to know that crossfire isn't an issue!

Here spec
FM2+ socketed
AMD chip (up to 4 cores)
4 pci express x16

or
Intel® 22 nm CPU
4 pci express x16

I'd go with Intel since Haswell CPUs are more energy efficient. But above all, I'd go with the cheapest: every $ you put in your hardware will push your ROI further back.

intel core i7
4 pci express x1

It's always a risk. Use powered risers if you want to be safe, that way the power comes directly from the PSU and the mobo stays chilly.

Yes, hybrid extenders run at 1x.
And no performance gain using SLI/Crossfire.
iqlimasyadiqa
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 03:39:37 AM

quite efficient. but security will be the hardware that you use is important. up and down the voltage of electricity and heat in the device will provide security and durability of your equipment ...
splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:58:27 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2015, 07:40:32 AM by splat44

Perfect,

if I am to use sgminer5-1, then what settings to use on that motherboard to keep it longer?
I already know following:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1

I also know 2nd line deals with number of GPU.

Which radeon R9 is that overlocked is best for mining?
What the best GB on those GPUS
I hope using three, I know  R9 runs on pci express 3.0 x16.
Would they also run on 2.0 x8?
I also hope using 3 of those GPU.

Once I know it would great to know other setting using sgminer5-1!

regards

quite efficient. but security will be the hardware that you use is important. up and down the voltage of electricity and heat in the device will provide security and durability of your equipment ...
Lazada

Activity: 686

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:46:56 AM

Perfect,

if I am to use sgminer5-1, then what settings to use on that motherboard to keep it longer?

regards

your radeon R9 great choose .. I will remember you R9 very low voltage
splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:53:47 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2015, 09:24:12 PM by splat44

Ok, great R9 is low voltage!

However, several kind of radeon r9 such as:
1) XFX, GIGABYTE, MSI, and SAPPHIRE

Which kind of those are best for mining?
I recall few posts on bitcointalk seem to explain that "some of them not producing as much)

All R9 seems running on PCI EXPRESS 3.0 X16 but can they also be run and installed on PCI EXPRESS 2.0 x8 slot as well?

Perfect,

regards

your radeon R9 great choose .. I will remember you R9 very low voltage
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:48:08 PM

You're missing the most important part, which definitely affects choice of GPU.

What coin are you planning to mine?

If it's a SHA256 coin like Bitcoin or Namecoin, forget it - nothing SHA256 has been mineable for anything remotely resembling break-even with GPUs for years.

If it's something else, this question should be in an appropriate Altcoin part of the forum.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 12:34:22 AM

I am dealing with multiple coins using:
multipool.us

I totally agree on SHA256!

You're missing the most important part, which definitely affects choice of GPU.

What coin are you planning to mine?

If it's a SHA256 coin like Bitcoin or Namecoin, forget it - nothing SHA256 has been mineable for anything remotely resembling break-even with GPUs for years.

If it's something else, this question should be in an appropriate Altcoin part of the forum.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:17:28 AM

That doesn't answer my question, haveing never looked at whoever multipool.us is or what coins/algorythms they pool for.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 04:03:50 PM

Alright, Multipool.us is a pool which allows miners mining multiple coins (three coins) at a time:

ANC, AUR, CAP, DGB, DOGE, LTC, VIA

Here what I'm ming for example but it changes day by day:
DOGE, LTC AND VIA

Does this answer part of your question?

In fact, mining only depend on hardware that is use and not type of coin

I suggest we stay with hardware topic/question seen on posts:
#3, and #7

Motherboard question is answered but rest on GPU is still unclear!

That doesn't answer my question, haveing never looked at whoever multipool.us is or what coins/algorythms they pool for.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 04:25:34 PM

DOGE and Litecoin are scrypt - NOT GPU mineable for even close to breakeven. I don't recognise the others but presume they're also Scrypt.

You need Scrypt-based ASIC units to mine with, not a montherboard and/or GPUs, unless your electric is FREE or you like giving your power company money for very little return.

splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 06:21:25 PM

ASIC units, for price we pay these day are hardly breakeven! Less is cost better it is!
We also pay electricity using those those things!

My power cost isn't an issue!

Most lots radeon gpu use scrypt and produce a fair bit!
Although, I not speaking miner software, the ones supporting GPU are
1) sgminer5-1
2) cgminer3-7.2

Sgminer5-1 is by preferred one as we can mine 3 kinds of coins at a time and cgminer doesn't!
In fact I am mining on radeon r7 I believe and still produce more than CPU using preferred miner.

Getting radeon R9 would be better!

DOGE and Litecoin are scrypt - NOT GPU mineable for even close to breakeven. I don't recognise the others but presume they're also Scrypt.

You need Scrypt-based ASIC units to mine with, not a montherboard and/or GPUs, unless your electric is FREE or you like giving your power company money for very little return.

eyeknock

Activity: 381

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 07:21:14 PM

if i was you i will go for:

Intel® 22 nm CPU
4 pci express x16

since for me is better than the other one, but you should take care about what cpu you will use and if you really care a lot about the efiicient energy or not.
splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 01:44:06 AM

Can you lead me to board having following:?

Intel® 22 nm CPU
4 pci express x16

Of course, I plan mining on GPU, which of following R9 is best:

Intel® 22 nm CPU
4 pci express x16

since for me is better than the other one, but you should take care about what cpu you will use and if you really care a lot about the efiicient energy or not.
splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 02:04:22 AM

Can you lead me to board having following:?

Intel® 22 nm CPU
4 pci express x16

Of course, I plan mining on GPU, which of following R9 is best:

Assuming board has following:

Can any GPU PCI Express 3.0 x16 run PCI Express 2.0 x8?

Intel® 22 nm CPU
4 pci express x16

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 08:17:32 AM
Last edit: August 10, 2015, 08:37:05 AM by QuintLeo

I mined Scrypt with Radions - back when I could at least break even with them. Paid for almost all of the 7xxx series cards I own that way, and most of the cost of the last couple.

No point in even TRYING that now, unless you like to just hand all of your income AND 3-6X MORE to the power company. You will NOT make money even trying to mine anything Scrypt with a video card. You will NOT break even. You will LOSE money hand over fist, even if your electric is 3 cents / KWH.

It's not about the cost of the equipment when the electric to run it costs a TON more than the amount of coin you can mine with the equipment and current ASIC stuff for Scrypt has gotten to the point it's cheaper than many video cards anyway while performing a TON better.
 Gridseed "80" blades are wildely available for under $150, for example, and mine around 5 MH/sec (at "stock" clock) for under 100 watts - NO video card is even in shouting range of that performance especially at that price point - yet those units even at current Litecoin pricing are barely break-even. Any video card out there that could even come CLOSE to that 5 MH/sec is going to (1) cost you $500+ (2) Eat 600watts or MORE when mining Scrypt (3) NOT match that 5MH/sec.

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/litecoin/calculator tells the tale pretty well - though it's not taking the litecoin block reward halving into account yet (that halving is due in about 2 weeks) - at which point your electric cost stays the same for HALF the income.

The current generation Radion series isn't noticeably more power efficient than the 7970 was vs. amount mined - some are LESS efficient, a couple at the "sweet spot" are perhaps 20% more efficient at most.

I personally like the Sapphire cards, though the Gigabytes got a lot of use and recommendations.

PCI-E cards are all backwards compatable with PCI Express 1.0 if they meet the full spec on later PCI-E versions, within the physical limit of the slot they have to fit into.

splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 07:54:13 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2015, 09:04:29 PM by splat44

Thanks for providing some information towards those video cards.
No sure what you're talking about pci express 1.0 but using PCI express 1 to x16 extenders isn't an option!
Even if I had those extender, will still run at 1.0 and not x16 and tends to damage motherboard.

Funny, I have radeon R7 PCI Express 3.0 and it runs on PCI Express 2.0 without problems.
Therefore, having board with following:

wouldn't be a problem!

You mention about:
Gridseed "80" blades, it seem great.
Does this depend on CPU and GPU?
Assuming I go with that, can I  use PC for something else as well at same time?

I mined Scrypt with Radions - back when I could at least break even with them. Paid for almost all of the 7xxx series cards I own that way, and most of the cost of the last couple.

No point in even TRYING that now, unless you like to just hand all of your income AND 3-6X MORE to the power company. You will NOT make money even trying to mine anything Scrypt with a video card. You will NOT break even. You will LOSE money hand over fist, even if your electric is 3 cents / KWH.

It's not about the cost of the equipment when the electric to run it costs a TON more than the amount of coin you can mine with the equipment and current ASIC stuff for Scrypt has gotten to the point it's cheaper than many video cards anyway while performing a TON better.
 Gridseed "80" blades are wildely available for under $150, for example, and mine around 5 MH/sec (at "stock" clock) for under 100 watts - NO video card is even in shouting range of that performance especially at that price point - yet those units even at current Litecoin pricing are barely break-even. Any video card out there that could even come CLOSE to that 5 MH/sec is going to (1) cost you $500+ (2) Eat 600watts or MORE when mining Scrypt (3) NOT match that 5MH/sec.

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/litecoin/calculator tells the tale pretty well - though it's not taking the litecoin block reward halving into account yet (that halving is due in about 2 weeks) - at which point your electric cost stays the same for HALF the income.

The current generation Radion series isn't noticeably more power efficient than the 7970 was vs. amount mined - some are LESS efficient, a couple at the "sweet spot" are perhaps 20% more efficient at most.

I personally like the Sapphire cards, though the Gigabytes got a lot of use and recommendations.

PCI-E cards are all backwards compatable with PCI Express 1.0 if they meet the full spec on later PCI-E versions, within the physical limit of the slot they have to fit into.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 11:02:20 PM

The gridseed blades use 2 USB ports, and need some sort of computer to run a special version of cgminer to interface with them. There are images around to run them on a Rasberry Pi, but I've got so many spare machines I just run mine on one of those - and yes, you can do other stuff at the same time. They do NOT use GPU at all and put a very tiny load on the CPU that's running their cgminer, and by report you can run at least 20 USB ports worth of miners on that cgminer.

There are a few other Scrypt ASIC machine models around, but they all cost quite a bit more WHEN you can find them, so a much higher risk vs. attaining ROI - on the plus side, many of the other Scrypt ASIC miners are totally stand-alone machines that talk to an Ethernet port (like Antminer S-series and C1 or anything Spondoolies etc. for Bitcoin).

I've yet to see any "PCI Express 3.0" spec card fail to run on a PCI Express 2 slot. I don't think I have anything around with PCI-E 1.0 any more to try that but it SHOULD work.

If you run p2pool, or run on a multi-coin pool, you CAN in fact mine multiple coins with cgminer. The pool I work with for Scrypt does litecoin AND doge.

splat44 (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 02:15:43 AM

Ok, gridsdpeed has two usb port and it understood a computer is needed!

I know an USB connection via computer and on product is used but where other USB connection can be used? If is one gridspeed can be used on two computers then I understand otherwise, I stuck!

According what I read:
power on device can be provided from a PC or from Rasberry Pi correct?

Which version of cgminer supports this hardware?

The gridseed blades use 2 USB ports, and need some sort of computer to run a special version of cgminer to interface with them. There are images around to run them on a Rasberry Pi, but I've got so many spare machines I just run mine on one of those - and yes, you can do other stuff at the same time. They do NOT use GPU at all and put a very tiny load on the CPU that's running their cgminer, and by report you can run at least 20 USB ports worth of miners on that cgminer.

There are a few other Scrypt ASIC machine models around, but they all cost quite a bit more WHEN you can find them, so a much higher risk vs. attaining ROI - on the plus side, many of the other Scrypt ASIC miners are totally stand-alone machines that talk to an Ethernet port (like Antminer S-series and C1 or anything Spondoolies etc. for Bitcoin).

I've yet to see any "PCI Express 3.0" spec card fail to run on a PCI Express 2 slot. I don't think I have anything around with PCI-E 1.0 any more to try that but it SHOULD work.

If you run p2pool, or run on a multi-coin pool, you CAN in fact mine multiple coins with cgminer. The pool I work with for Scrypt does litecoin AND doge.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: