Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:12:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10: do not upgrade  (Read 1452 times)
acquafredda (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 01:17:52 PM

If you are a bunch of wise bitcoiners you should not definitely upgrade to Windows 10.

For a series of simple reasons:

a. it's buggy;
b. if you don't revise the privacy settings you'll end up share everything with Windows;
c. why it is given for free from a corporation like that? Easy and clean because you're the product for them;
d. it has been presented as the best windows ever: it is not;
e. cortana is useless.

the list goes on and on...
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 02:39:16 PM

exactly my friend. i will wait until the last day (2019?) and buy it...or use my Ubuntu....

thx for that thread.

acquafredda (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:49:13 PM

These are really good reads

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/

http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:54:14 PM

If you are a bunch of wise bitcoiners you should not definitely upgrade to Windows 10.

a. it's buggy;
b. if you don't revise the privacy settings you'll end up share everything with Windows;
c. why it is given for free from a corporation like that? Easy and clean because you're the product for them;
e. cortana is useless.

I will definitely not upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 on my main computer. But I am seriously considering doing it on my laptop which has windows 8.1 installed. I really don't like windows 8  Lips sealed

I think I will wait a few more months to let Microsoft implement important bugfixes before I install windows 10.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:08:47 PM

I upgraded and didn't really have any issues. I of course reviewed and changed all the privacy settings.

Here is a guide for the most common settings to change:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f38ed/guide_how_to_disable_data_logging_in_w10/
acquafredda (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 07:29:33 PM

a. it's buggy;
e. cortana is useless.

I will definitely not upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 on my main computer. But I am seriously considering doing it on my laptop which has windows 8.1 installed. I really don't like windows 8  Lips sealed

I think I will wait a few more months to let Microsoft implement important bugfixes before I install windows 10.

I am pretty much fine now with windows 8.1. I upgraded to ten and I had to go back.
Start was not responsive, I was not able to customize the menu and I found all the crap that uninstalled back (I don't use apps, I do not have a microsoft account and I don't want it).

PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 08:01:23 PM

I am planning to clone my windows 7 hard disk on a spare drive, upgrade get the key and then restore my windows 7 system. With the key, I can upgrade to Windows 10 when they have fixed all the bugs. I love my Windows 7 and god knows how many of my apps will stop working if I upgrade.
alva5763

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 08:29:45 PM

Unless you buy the professional version you cannot choose whether or not to receive updates. These are automatically downloaded. I find that some updates cause problems then have to do a system restore.
cmthompson22

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:17:09 AM

I did not think the windows 10 has been so bad. I really like how it is laid out and it is much more user friendly than either version of the windows 8. I haven’t had any issues, outside of it started the upload several hours ahead of time  and interrupted my work time (with two kids at home, nap time is the only time I really have in order to get some work done). Otherwise I think it is great.

I did not realize they were giving it out for free to everyone. I just got a new computer like a month before this came out so I figured I got it for free because of that close timeline (I had heard somewhere they had done that in the past so figured that was the same for here). I have enjoyed it so far though and feel like it has met the needs that I will be using it for much nicer than some of the other versions of windows.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:11:32 AM

hmblm1245

Activity: 628

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 04:36:32 AM

Just like every Win version to come out got try it somehow. Thanks for the tips on the privacy.
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 04:48:39 AM

i will agree, i will remain using windows 7 until it vanishes, but my reason is not exactly the same.
windows 10 is limited free, but cannot be sure if the corporation is hiding something important with the windows 10.
i cannot see anything really good with windows 10, windows 8 is better than windows 10 for me.
unless microsoft announced that the official version of the windows 10, otherwise i would not really wish for windows 10.
i don't wanna get trapped by something random.
guys in my opinion you'd better remain using either windows vista, 7 or 8.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
Ditto

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 05:06:47 AM

unless microsoft announced that the official version of the windows 10, otherwise i would not really wish for windows 10.
Not sure what you're trying to say here.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 07:01:31 AM

a. it's buggy;
e. cortana is useless.
-snip-
What are people so afraid of Windows 10?

1. It's not buggy, this is dependent on personal experience and the hardware. I haven't encountered a single noticeable bug.
2. Stop using express installation on software and customize it. Turning off everything took less than 30 seconds.
3. That's a good question.
4. It is much better than the previous version.
5. It is useless, I've tried it last night.

While I do agree that something is not right with Windows 10, and they have a few policies that are weird, it is much better than 8.1. I've already noticed improvements on my laptop and I've only used it for a hour or so. A issue for me with Windows 10 is that Windows Update and Windows Defender and a few other things such as OneDrive are being forced upon the user. You can't disable Updates nor uninstall OneDrive. You can disable Windows Defender but after a while it turns on again.
Windows 7 master race starts?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:04:01 AM

Not sure what you're trying to say here.
i mean the windows 10 is still in beta, we don't know what bugs would occur, and we still don't know if the windows 10 is safe(secure) for universal usage. i don't wanna get my personal data shared due to the unexpected bugs.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 09:21:21 AM

I never upgrade to a new windows version right away anyway, precisely because of these kind of problems, you also don't know how good it is until more experienced people have tried it for themselves. I think it must have been a good few years before I was dragged kicking and screaming into Windows 7 and that was because of DirectX and how unfriendly new games were to Windows XP.
altcoinhosting2

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 09:29:54 AM

IF you're planning on staying with windows, AND update to 10 (i wouldn't know why, unless you're on a company PC like i am, and the PC team doesn't allow linux), please read this article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html

I couldn't believe it myself, untill i read it on a reputable website... They're actually using your bandwith to dispense updates, unless you explicitly tell them not to  Angry

██████████████████████▔|▔▔|      LEDGER WALLETSecond factorMalware Proof
████████████████████▔|▔▔|
██████████████████████|▔▔| ◀◀ Smartcard based Hardware Wallet - Worldwide Shipping
Powerpuff

Activity: 839

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 09:36:54 AM

I think it's always better not to rush to upgrades espesially windows. I would wait until they release service pack 1 with fixes of most of the starter bugs etc..
BitMarshall

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 10:38:34 AM

lol
Happy Mac Users Cheesy Cheesy
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 11:21:33 AM

I never upgrade to a new windows version right away anyway, precisely because of these kind of problems, you also don't know how good it is until more experienced people have tried it for themselves. I think it must have been a good few years before I was dragged kicking and screaming into Windows 7 and that was because of DirectX and how unfriendly new games were to Windows XP.
Well if you are interested in DirectX then you definitely need to upgrade. I'm pretty sure that we will eventually see games that require DirectX 12 and have no support for lower. I can't blame the developers for this as DirectX 12 is so much better than DirectX 11. Here is a example of the improvement.

However, I blame MS for not pushing DirectX 12 to Windows 7.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: