Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:44:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crowd Sourced Patent Liberation Charity  (Read 983 times)
buryfarmer (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

hi

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:00:56 AM

I don't really give to charity much as I hate the thought that 50% of my donation will be wasted on admin etc. I also don't believe that the charities have the best strategy and in some cases think they do more harm than good.
My main interests are tech, finance and politics and I like thinking about how to improve the world.
Most people including myself believe that technological progress is a good thing.
The profit motive accelerates inovation and patents/copywrite allow people to protect their ideas and therefore profit from them, This is good in the sense that it encourages inovation but bad in that only one company will use this new inovation.
So to abolish patents and intellectual property rights as some wish for would kill the financial motive to innovate.
But keeping patents in place also restricts inovation by non patent holders.
So the answer is a charity that buys important patents off patent holders so that there is no longer a patent.

This charity could list different patents and the estimated price of liberating each one specifically and people could donate the ones that they thought were the most important to the world.

examples:
expensive college textbooks
expensive cancer drugs
H.264 (video codec)
heinz baked beans
key solar panel patents
ios features
your favorite song
your favorite drink

Bitcoin would be a perfect way to crowd fund these patent liberations.

If anyone wants to steal this idea please do and let me know.

Send me a coin please I'm unemployed:  1CpaPf9Yxq1BHzuD2wVAWATHAQonuGbqzK
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:09:18 AM

Most of your examples are not even patents.
buryfarmer (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

hi

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:14:47 AM

OK IP then not patents
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 01:26:06 AM

Buying patents from patent holders only perpetuates an immoral system and gives it legitimacy.

Instead, the money should be going to abolish patents.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: