Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:38:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: terrible firmware destroyed my investment  (Read 1409 times)
professor21 (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 08:55:55 AM

I spent a lot of money on these s3+ miners and one powered off during firmware flash.  I can't establish a serial connection via a raspberry putty cable.  I'm getting nonsense characters output on the putty screen when I attach the green white black wires to the soldered male connectors, but can't access the miner??

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 01:30:53 PM

If you are getting some characters then the baud rate is probably incorrect. You need 115200,8,n,1

If it's still not working then double check the connections & serial driver. See this post for more information.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=889206.msg9844329#msg9844329

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
professor21 (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 11:32:04 AM

yes I've been trying 115200 for weeks now do I try a different baud with those settings?  there is just nonsense output in the putty window which is active.  anyway I could have shipped out the s3+ I found a local buyer
yeah with the debug holes facing me I attached white green black or green white black

I need to not connect ground and set display to ANSI?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 07:41:54 PM

yes I've been trying 115200 for weeks now do I try a different baud with those settings?  there is just nonsense output in the putty window which is active.  anyway I could have shipped out the s3+ I found a local buyer
yeah with the debug holes facing me I attached white green black or green white black

I need to not connect ground and set display to ANSI?

My best advice is try to go over to bitmain's official site: https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Depending on who you get you might get someone over there willing to help try it remote.  But I think they are your best bet.
gablay12
Legendary

Activity: 918

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:10:15 PM

Have tried to reset the S3?

If you have multiple S3, you can change the controllers.By this way you can report whether it is a controller priblem or not.If you are sure it is problem related to firmware your problem will be resolved by a reset.

If reset does not work, and the controller is ok; you have to control cables.

The more I meet people, the more I like my dog.
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:13:56 PM

As notlist3d stated goto  bitmain topic and seek advise their. And a note for you in the future. Only invest what you can afford to be without. Investing into mining equipment is a tough game right now and I would not even bother to buy any more I would just buy crypto and hold it. If I had done the same thing when Avalon first released theirs Id be much better off and so many more people would be too.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:10:16 AM

As notlist3d stated goto  bitmain topic and seek advise their. And a note for you in the future. Only invest what you can afford to be without. Investing into mining equipment is a tough game right now and I would not even bother to buy any more I would just buy crypto and hold it. If I had done the same thing when Avalon first released theirs Id be much better off and so many more people would be too.

I highlighted a very important part.  You should only invest what you can handle loosing.  A "lot" can mean different to different people.

If your investing a "lot" and can get buy if you lose it then it is ok.  If you invest a "lot" and it truly will effect how you live and make it where you cannot meet obligations then you went to far.

It is not a steady investment like a stock.  This is more risky, and should only be done if researched and can handle loss as with any investment.
professor21 (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:25:06 AM

I lost my medical hospital and food money because this IT guy tricked me into it while I was in the hospital sick.  I thought it might be a steady low risk way to pay for living expenses like the IT guy presented it to me. 
And now the buyer on Amazon backed out of the sale and I lost $50 on the shipping/handling and it doesn't look like I'm going to get my money back. 
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:05:00 PM

I lost my medical hospital and food money because this IT guy tricked me into it while I was in the hospital sick.  I thought it might be a steady low risk way to pay for living expenses like the IT guy presented it to me. 
And now the buyer on Amazon backed out of the sale and I lost $50 on the shipping/handling and it doesn't look like I'm going to get my money back. 

If you where in hospital and this was a deal between you and someone else I would be taking legal action with that other person and proceeding with filing for losses. I am sorry to hear you where in hospital and I hope that you recover or are on the road to recovery. It can be low risk so long as you have enough hashing power and also free energy. But buying a bunch of miners and taking money out of medical and food is a NO NO. Your health is more important than to risk a little profit. If it was an IT guy at the hospital I would be getting someone else involved and acting on your behalf and filing for losses if you both entered into some agreement and hes backed out with you losing out then that would be enough grounds on taking action.

I would be seeking legal advise on what can be done in this type of situation. If would of waited and just bough the  coin like its low is now due to many factors and it going back up in a few months then would have a lot less to risk on it. In future take note of only putting funds up front what you can afford to be without.

I really do feel sorry for you to be in a situation like you are currently in and hope you manage to work though it.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
professor21 (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 03:29:54 PM

Thanks so much!!!  I've worked at poverty level at Christian universities and churches for my whole life.  I've been studying theoretical physics and mathematics. 
I sold an S3+ on Amazon to a guy Owen Hartnett and he backed out of the sale and ROBBED me of the miner by filing a return claim.  I spent 100 hours upgrading the firmware and the miner was mining perfectly when I shipped it out +$50 shipping it out to him.
yeah I was disabled and crippled and the other miner I bought from the IT server guy won't mine after firmware upgrade.  The green LAN light doesn't light up and I can't get the config screen up or an ip address.

I've tried the serial-USB putty interface connect hundreds of times with white-green-black, green-black-white and I have male connectors soldered to the controller.  the fans still work
Minerkev

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 04:53:40 PM

Sell on ebay  Grin
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 06:04:24 PM

Sell on ebay  Grin

Horrible idea winner of auction will contest with paypal and win.  And OP would be out shipping to him.  So he would lose even more money. (Unless you mean sell as parts but I don't think that is what you meant).

Honest contact bitmain support and see if they can help you out with it.  If not see about getting a S3 controller (if they still have them).
professor21 (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 06:45:30 PM

aren't bitmain miners scams?  I mean waiting almost 2 years to recoup your investment with a nonrealistic 0 electricity situation.

I don't know if I should just throw out my s3+ but it really financially ruined me and it's 50-75 for a controller board. 
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 11:12:33 PM

aren't bitmain miners scams?  I mean waiting almost 2 years to recoup your investment with a nonrealistic 0 electricity situation.

I don't know if I should just throw out my s3+ but it really financially ruined me and it's 50-75 for a controller board. 

They are legit.  They are only game in town right selling new gear.   So they can choose price, but yes legit hardware maker.

I'm sorry to hear your story on here.   If it is "financially ruined" you buying it I would not go into it any more.  You should only invest money you can afford to loose.
professor21 (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 12:19:08 PM

how do I serial-USB connect?  I'm using a raspberry pi type cable and it is showing the chip on diagnostic program on the port (USB-serial chip).  but I am just getting nonsense character output on putty when I connect or I can't type at all and I am connecting the wires white-green-black or green-white-black.  I'm not using the red wire.  some tutorials say not to connect the black ground wire? 
so I think I'm getting some output from the miner but can't access the config screen? 

now I disconnected the leads black and red on the dell psu so how do I connect them to get the powersupply running?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 04:00:37 PM

how do I serial-USB connect?  I'm using a raspberry pi type cable and it is showing the chip on diagnostic program on the port (USB-serial chip).  but I am just getting nonsense character output on putty when I connect or I can't type at all and I am connecting the wires white-green-black or green-white-black.  I'm not using the red wire.  some tutorials say not to connect the black ground wire? 
so I think I'm getting some output from the miner but can't access the config screen? 

now I disconnected the leads black and red on the dell psu so how do I connect them to get the powersupply running?

I don't have the instructions for it.  But Bitmain does have instructions on how to do it.

Submit a ticket asking here: https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us   That is a official Bitmain support site ask for help on it with usb to serial.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: