Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:31:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] VNL - Vanillacoin - ZeroTime double-spend reward  (Read 5972 times)
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:19:41 AM

I asked Nick Szabo aka Satoshi Nakamoto what he thought of my invention but he has failed to respond after many attempts.

How about the more eccentric, poor man's Nakamoto, Anonymint.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 04:18:39 AM

I asked Nick Szabo aka Satoshi Nakamoto what he thought of my invention but he has failed to respond after many attempts.

How about the more eccentric, poor man's Nakamoto, Anonymint.

He had "something" to say about it

I am calling scam on this coin now

Another cryptocurrency expert, who certainly doesn't agree with Anonymint about everything (anything?) has this to say

Vanillacoin was previously discussed on this forum, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=890388.0 but he locked the threads in order to shuffle the users (victims?) off to someplace out of the light of day-- never a good sign, (nor is his BCT newbie account, for that matter).  The "vanillacoin" software has no source code available, it is binaries only (very much not a good sign, and usually severe malware concern; and an ultimate form of centralization), there are source links but they go to a basically empty github repository. There is a whitepaper, which like the comments on github show some general software development background they show no real sign of sophisticated understanding around decenteralized systems for adversarial networks or cryptocurrencies.

I don't know anything more about it, but I figure sunlight tends to be a good disinfectant; and with the threads locked it probably wasn't fair of me to say nothing while I was privately thinking "hm, that all smells pretty fishy".  Of course, the guy was a bit rude to me and also wasted my time-- so feel free to factor that bias in however you like. I'm just reporting my impression as a regular community member. You now know what I know.

(I believe it is no longer the case that the source is not available,  but I'm not positive.)

I note for the emphasis with regard to bolded quoted comment above, the new ANN thread is self-moderated, which means you can't trust it to contain an open unbiased debate about the merits of the coin.

There are a lot of red flags here. Be careful.
YAdaminer

Activity: 829

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:21:50 AM

blablabla

Dear smooth I'm sure you wanted to post this on some other thread, right?
Or you are so confused so you don't know where you need to post and what you want to say so you must quote other guys?
Anyway, do you know how or are you capable to take our bounty money cause this thread is all about that.
No?
Then move on, go back to your thread and help your community with fork problems.

MemoryShock

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:25:50 AM

blablabla

Or you are so confused so you don't know where you need to post and what you want to say so you must quote other guys?
Anyway, do you know how or are you capable to take our bounty money cause this thread is all about that.
No?
Then move on, go back to your thread and help your community with fork problems.

I don't think that was called for...

I don't agree with an assessment based on a January post but I don't think he is confused.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  I/O DIGITAL
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
iodigital.io & iocoin.io

█████████████████
███████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████
█████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:27:15 AM

blablabla

No.

No.

No?

I'm no more interested in even working on something for $2300 worth of would-be-worthless coins then AnonyMint is, and perhaps less.

In any case, the question was asked what he thought about it, and I posted a relevant, on-topic answer. Perhaps you should retreat to self-moderated threads where you can delete inconvenient on-topic posts that don't suit your agenda.

I'm not even sure what you are confused about.
P-Funk

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

Token

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:28:24 AM

I wouldn't trust in the possibility of a bounty unless it was held by a third party escrow.
YAdaminer

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:02:50 AM

I wouldn't trust in the possibility of a bounty unless it was held by a third party escrow.

Well, this would be a right question for this thread when it wouldn't start with "I wouldn't trust..."
In this form from newbie account means nothing but just another FUD post.

YAdaminer

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:20:58 AM

blablabla

No.

No.

No?

I'm no more interested in even working on something for $2300 worth of would-be-worthless coins then AnonyMint is, and perhaps less.

In any case, the question was asked what he thought about it, and I posted a relevant, on-topic answer. Perhaps you should retreat to self-moderated threads where you can delete inconvenient on-topic posts that don't suit your agenda.

I'm not even sure what you are confused about.

Your first post would nicely fit in

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=977245.0

This thread is about ZeroTime double-spend reward
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:36:16 AM

The discussion was relevant to offer of a reward and the possibility of collecting it.

People considering trying to get the reward and also those observing the process of whether it is collected or not are entitled to relevant independent opinions, including expert opinions. Turning it into a shilling exercise devoid of scrutiny is just scamming. That's inappropriate regardless of the thread topic or forum location.
YAdaminer

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:58:16 AM

The discussion was relevant to offer of a reward and the possibility of collecting it.

Not with a single sentence.
traumschiff (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

180 BPM

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 09:44:05 AM

(I believe it is no longer the case that the source is not available,  but I'm not positive.)

Why do you even comment without doing your research? You are no better than the 0 activity trolls in most threads.

The project is open source, google: vanillacoin + github

Was it hard?

I note for the emphasis with regard to bolded quoted comment above, the new ANN thread is self-moderated, which means you can't trust it to contain an open unbiased debate about the merits of the coin.

There are a lot of red flags here. Be careful.

The popular discussion thread is unmoderated, take a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=977245.2780

Also john doesn't moderate the official forums at all (a few community members are also mods there, like myself - it's unmoderated), which you can find here: https://talk.vanillacoin.net/

The ANN was locked, because he made an official forum like many other projects.

As for gmaxwell, he started fuding, because John had an argument with them on the Bitcoin github, which you would have seen if you read the thread you just quoted. Gmaxwell isn't the hero of the altcoin section, he doesn't just go an investigate projects, he had an agenda because he was butthurt.

In theory you couldn't answer this post, because you literally made no research and now you should feel like a true ass jumping on the hate train, but this isn't how the world works so you will probably come up with a shitty excuse to fud.

john-connor

Activity: 596
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 10:29:48 AM

Please keep it civil and on topic and stop trying to censor my posts by trying to bury them. Cool

Here is my last post before the off-topic-fud/trolling:

Based on their responses they have ZeroClue on how to even perform a basic double-spend, instead they talk about unrelated things such as PoS and Sybil Attacks and [insert BS here].

Anyone can double-spend Bitcoin at will as we've recently witnessed and I was the person that informed the developers that it would occur due to their faulty signature validation code. The Bitcoin devs demonized me but in the end they realize my findings were accurate and the network split losing people hundreds of thousands of USD and forced zero confirmation transactions to be disabled on a wide scale. When I told them a hard-fork was required to fix this bug safely they said "we have more than hard forks at our disposal". This is the typical crypto-currency ego and if it continues the double-spend attacks will increase due to easier but more sophisticated attack vectors.

It is impossible to have safe zero confirmation transactions on any crypto-currency without it being part of the core protocol. This is what I have done and it resolves the problem for all crypto-currencies using a backwards compatible approach without the need to hard-fork.

I will not waste my time responding to nonsense. You have be given an opportunity, take it or leave it. Cool

Thank you for your support.

Minter                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█

▄█████▄   ▄▄
▐█▄           ▄███████████▀
████▄▄       ▐█████████████▀
████████▄▄   ▐████████████
 ████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████████████
 ▀███████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████
   ████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄▄▄█████████████▀
  ▀▀█████████▀▀
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 10:41:58 AM

The popular discussion thread is unmoderated, take a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=977245.2780

Okay that's a reasonable place to look for uncensored discussion, but not the official ANN thread.

The ANN was locked, because he made an official forum like many other projects.

No, he made a new ANN which is moderated, and not locked (and has recent posts): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1064326.0

The original ANN thread, which was unmoderated, was indeed locked.

In other words, just as gmaxwell said, the original unmoderated ANN thread was locked, and replaced with a private forum and a moderated ANN thread, where discussion can be censored and controlled.

That is a huge red flag

As for gmaxwell, he started fuding, because John had an argument with them on the Bitcoin github, which you would have seen if you read the thread you just quoted. Gmaxwell isn't the hero of the altcoin section, he doesn't just go an investigate projects, he had an agenda because he was butthurt.

His points about transparency and red flags are valid on their face. It is a common (but fallacious) refrain in the altcoin area that criticism can be dismissed if someone has a "bias" or "agenda", while ignoring the substance of the statement (which as I demonstrated above, turns out to be correct). More precisely this is the logical fallacy of Ad hominem circumstantial and is a weak argument that reflects poorly on those who attempt it.

Quote from: john-connor
stop trying to censor my posts by trying to bury them.

Discussion and critical comments is not censoring, nor is it off topic, but what you did by posting the exact same message again to bump it below other comments is a lot closer.
traumschiff (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

180 BPM

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 11:09:21 AM

The moderated BCT thread is a pure announcement thread, for official announcements and not a chat topic.

The private forum is currently community moderated (nothing gets deleted)/owned.

IRC is also community owned.

BCT discussion thread community owned.

So as you can see the main discussion hubs are not censored in any form. Who cares what gmaxwell stated half a year ago honestly?

The statement of gmaxwell has no weight currently.

I'm out of this discussion, you simply argue to get your first point through which is based on something you necrod back from half a year ago. Good job.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 11:20:34 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2015, 11:40:48 AM by smooth

The moderated BCT thread is a pure announcement thread, for official announcements and not a chat topic.

The private forum is currently community moderated (nothing gets deleted)/owned.

IRC is also community owned.

BCT discussion thread community owned.

So as you can see the main discussion hubs are not censored in any form. Who cares what gmaxwell stated half a year ago honestly?

The statement of gmaxwell has no weight currently.
I'm out of this discussion, you simply argue to get your first point through which is based on something you necrod back from half a year ago. Good job.

I'll grant that the unmoderated BCT thread is an open forum.

The rest are controlled by people with an interest in the coin itself, making them not open forums, even if they don't happen to be actively censored at the moment.

I actually think AnonyMint's point about the lack of any sound basis for this claimed consensus algorithm is more important, and relevant to whether anyone should bother trying to break it, although as I said a tiny $2100 bounty will likely attract interest from zero qualified people. Looks more like a promotional stunt.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 11:50:46 AM

Let's try this again.

Please keep it civil and on topic and stop trying to censor my posts by trying to bury them. Cool

Okay, then let's not repost the exact same post multiple times to try to bury critical comments.

solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:13:24 PM

This coin is running on the Zero proof of proof algorithm.

Instead of this lame bounty why not pay for a security audit of the code cheapskate.

ah yes like the Shadowcash crew did, paid Isidor Zeuner a few grand for an audit whom we haven't heard high nor tail from for 6 months?

This is the problem with high level projects like VNL, anyone who is qualified to investigate its strengths or weaknesses usually has motives not to do so. This isn't exactly the University & Education sector around here, everyone has an agenda, even those on the Bitcoin mailing list.

Also for those whining the bounty is tiny, take a look at the going rate for Bitcoin bounties and tell me it's not fair.

https://bitcoinsecurityproject.org/BugBounties/
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:19:52 PM

This coin is running on the Zero proof of proof algorithm.

Instead of this lame bounty why not pay for a security audit of the code cheapskate.

ah yes like the Shadowcash crew did, paid Isidor Zeuner a few grand for an audit whom we haven't heard high nor tail from for 6 months?

This is the problem with high level projects like VNL, anyone who is qualified to investigate its strengths or weaknesses usually has motives not to do so. This isn't exactly the University & Education sector around here, everyone has an agenda, even those on the Bitcoin mailing list.

You can still get real audits, reviews, and advice from experts. You just have to either pay them real money (which to qualified people a bounty of $2100 in would-be-worthless-upon-success coins is not) or get them sufficiently interested in the project itself to want to be involved, not be a hired gun for slave wages.

I see neither happening here, just a stunt to say, "We had a bounty and no one could break it! BUY! BUY! BUY!"
x0rcist

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:47:20 PM

You can still get real audits, reviews, and advice from experts. You just have to either pay them real money (which to qualified people a bounty of $2100 in would-be-worthless-upon-success coins is not) or get them sufficiently interested in the project itself to want to be involved, not be a hired gun for slave wages.

I see neither happening here, just a stunt to say, "We had a bounty and no one could break it! BUY! BUY! BUY!"

Its not an audit its about finding an exploit, much ego words not many action.

~ When life is real, it's not going to be smooth.
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 01:53:00 PM

I'm pretty sure John Conner just answered his critics...

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: