Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:16:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for transparency (@TBF)  (Read 2200 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:29:51 PM

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/donate states:

Bitcoin Foundation Accepts Donations in Bitcoins
We believe this is important for two reasons:
1. It represents our strong belief in the value of Bitcoin as a medium of exchange AND
2. It automatically makes the Foundation’s assets public information—allowing Bitcoin users to see how much we have received in donations and emphasizing our commitment to transparency

Membership fees the assets too. And they r supposed to be transparent.

I kindly ask any founder of The Bitcoin Foundation to publish addresses that were used to accept the fees. Especially I'm interested in those that were used to accept payments for Industry Memberships.

PS: Could anyone, plz, quote my request in case I'm put into an ignore list.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:34:17 PM

1. It represents our strong belief in the value of Bitcoin as a medium of exchange AND
2. It automatically makes the Foundation’s assets public information—allowing Bitcoin users to see how much we have received in donations and emphasizing our commitment to transparency

I kindly ask any founder of The Bitcoin Foundation to publish addresses that were used to accept the fees. Especially I'm interested in those that were used to accept payments for Industry Memberships.

To that I would like the requests for disclosure of payments made from membership money. How much money has gone, or will go to, board members (and if so, for what work / purpose), developers or third parties?

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:38:39 PM

Heh, I'm affraid u r in their ignore list too.
The_Duke

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:40:18 PM

Quite likely. That says more about them than about me though Smiley
Other people will ask the same questions though, in that sense, the bitcoin community is just as "vigilant" as TBF said it should be Smiley

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
The_Duke

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:44:10 PM

Oh, were the bylaws already published or can I add that to my request?

greyhawk

Activity: 938

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:45:23 PM

CfB, why are you so hung up on the Bitcoin Foundation?

You are creating an alternacoin after all, so TBF shouldn't impact you in the slightest.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:52:47 PM

CfB, why are you so hung up on the Bitcoin Foundation?

You are creating an alternacoin after all, so TBF shouldn't impact you in the slightest.

More Xcoins exists - higher chance that we win in our fight against the state. Yes, I'm creating an alternacoin, but it doesn't mean that I wish Bitcoin to die.
Uuno

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 03:43:11 PM

Well I'm just putting this up here. Thanks.  Cool

Send all your money here: 1CRTegc4fdeJYwTPGYTuGq3nFBbgvHc23c
BitBlitz

Activity: 285

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 03:52:21 PM

I have doubts that the paranoid naysayers have even looked over the TBF website.

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 05:08:25 PM

I have doubts that the paranoid naysayers have even looked over the TBF website.

Thats fine, thats what Im here for  Cheesy

Oh, were the bylaws already published or can I add that to my request?

Yup, right here: https://github.com/pmlaw/The-Bitcoin-Foundation-Legal-Repo/tree/master/Bylaws

No need for you to request this, all budgets, fees, donations, memberships, ect. are all legally open to be viewed by every member of the foundation

This is part of US non-profit law (don't quote me as this is just my understanding)

We also will be putting up items for members to vote on, discuss, and our meeting minutes.

All members will be able to see this in the foundation members forum.

Transparency and accountability are very important for the bitcoin foundation.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me directly

-Charlie Shrem, Vice Chairman.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 05:22:15 PM

No need for you to request this, all budgets, fees, donations, memberships, ect. are all legally open to be viewed by every member of the foundation

Could any member of TBF publish addresses used to pay for Industry Memberships, please? The ones used by MtGox and BitInstant would be enough.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 07:18:59 PM

Could any member of TBF publish addresses used to pay for Industry Memberships, please? The ones used by MtGox and BitInstant would be enough.

By the way, it's not TBF, rather BF. The 'the' is only used when addressing the foundation but not part of its title.

Could members publish addresses used to pay for memberships? I don't see why that would be an issue. I'm sure its part of the transparency and accountability reports we will be releasing.

MtGox and BitInstant are not the only industry members, there are many more.

Can I ask why you want to know specifically?

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 07:24:23 PM

By the way, it's not TBF, rather BF. The 'the' is only used when addressing the foundation but not part of its title.
-Charlie

Hmm I think you might have made a mistake in your bylaws then Wink

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 07:42:55 PM

-Charlie

Possibly, I didn't write it.

However I mentioned this to you as well last week, its Bitcoin Foundation.

Thanks for pointing it out.

The_Duke

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 08:12:19 PM

-Charlie

Possibly, I didn't write it.

But surely you reviewed them, before they were released, right? Since you are directly associated with them, I'd say that is the minimum?

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 08:30:38 PM

If I got the situation correctly...
The board has two "industry member" representatives, and two " individual member" representatives.  The seats are elected by members from the class that they represent.
   ...directors are elected by Foundation members. And only a member can be elected. If MtGox or BitInstant did not pay membership fee, then they can't be members and can't be elected. So I'd like to verify it. I have nothing against BitInstant, used their service a lot of times without any problems. But I do not want to see MtGox involved into anything related to Bitcoin regulation.
The_Duke

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 08:34:25 PM
Last edit: October 03, 2012, 08:32:11 AM by The_Duke

Some things in the bylaws I would like to have some explanation on, mainly because my native language is not english and I might have misunderstood its meaning and because I'm not a lawyer:

Section 5.13 Indemnity: The Corporation shall indemnify its directors to the fullest extent allowed by sections 29-406.51 and 29-406.52 of the District of Columbia Official Code, or any corresponding section(s) of any future official District of Columbia code.

Does that mean (translated by me) that if any of the director screw something up that would lead to costs, the corporation (why is it called the corporation and not the foundation? I assume that has to do with the legal status of a foundation?) will pay for it?
Does that include stuff they do with their private companies (Mt.Gox, Bitinstant, etc)? If not, then what does it mean?

(a) Conflict of Interest. As used herein this Section 5.15, a "conflict of interest transaction" is a transaction with the Corporation in which a director of the Corporation has a direct or indirect interest. An indirect interest exists where: (i) another entity in which the director has a material interest, or in which the director is a general partner, is a party to the transaction; or (ii) if another entity of which the director is a director, officer, or trustee is a party to the transaction and the transaction is or should be considered by the Corporation's Board of Directors.

Does this "transaction" only refer to money? Because if it doesn't, I can't see how this doesn't conflict with devs, and MtGox or bitinstant people being directors.

One person may hold multiple offices.

Sorry... what? Why the hell is that in there? So theoretically we might end up with one dictator taking all roles? Then what do the rest of the seat holders do?

The Chairman of the Board shall serve as an ex-officio voting member of all committees, and shall have such other powers and duties as may be designated by the Board from time to time.

What does that mean? Sounds like the board can give the chairman additional powers? What would those be for example?

Section 8.8 Political Activities: The Corporation shall not make any political expenditure or lobbying expenditure that will result in the loss of, or otherwise adversely affect, its status as a tax-exempt organization under the Internal Revenue Code.

Why is that? What if bitcoin needs such an expenditure?

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 12:20:50 AM

Some things in the bylaws I would like to have some explanation on, mainly because my native language is not english and I might have misunderstood its meaning and because I'm not a lawyer:

Section 5.13 Indemnity: The Corporation shall indemnify its directors to the fullest extent allowed by sections 29-406.51 and 29-406.52 of the District of Columbia Official Code, or any corresponding section(s) of any future official District of Columbia code.

Does that mean (translated by me) that if any of the director screw something up that would lead to costs, the corporation (why is it called the corporation and not the foundation? I assume that has to do with the legal status of a foundation?) will pay for it?
Does that include stuff they do with their private companies (Mt.Gox, Bitinstant, etc)? If not, then what does it mean?

(a) Conflict of Interest. As used herein this Section 5.15, a "conflict of interest transaction" is a transaction with the Corporation in which a director of the Corporation has a direct or indirect interest. An indirect interest exists where: (i) another entity in which the director has a material interest, or in which the director is a general partner, is a party to the transaction; or (ii) if another entity of which the director is a director, officer, or trustee is a party to the transaction and the transaction is or should be considered by the Corporation's Board of Directors.

Does this "transaction" only refer to money? Because if it doesn't, I can't see how this doesn't conflict with devs, and MtGox or bitinstant people being directors.

One person may hold multiple offices.

Sorry... what? Why the hell is that in there? So theoretically we might end up with one dictator taking all seats?

The Chairman of the Board shall serve as an ex-officio voting member of all committees, and shall have such other powers and duties as may be designated by the Board from time to time.

What does that mean? Sounds like the board can give the chairman additional powers? What would those be for example?

Section 8.8 Political Activities: The Corporation shall not make any political expenditure or lobbying expenditure that will result in the loss of, or otherwise adversely affect, its status as a tax-exempt organization under the Internal Revenue Code.

Why is that? What if bitcoin needs such an expenditure?

Yup, I reviewed them and was in the meetings when it was put together but Im not in a position to answer these since I dont know why some of it was included.

I've asked Patrick to look at this thread so he can provide his input ASAP for you!

If I got the situation correctly...
The board has two "industry member" representatives, and two " individual member" representatives.  The seats are elected by members from the class that they represent.
   ...directors are elected by Foundation members. And only a member can be elected. If MtGox or BitInstant did not pay membership fee, then they can't be members and can't be elected. So I'd like to verify it. I have nothing against BitInstant, used their service a lot of times without any problems. But I do not want to see MtGox involved into anything related to Bitcoin regulation.

Of course, understandable.

I'll talk to Peter and get this information to you asap.

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 06:38:55 AM

I'll talk to Peter and get this information to you asap.
Thank you in advance.
The_Duke

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 07:43:15 AM

Bump. Seems Peter has difficulty finding this topic Wink

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: