Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:58:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Import Address from older Wallet Backup  (Read 903 times)
Neoon (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 01:27:01 PM

Hey,

Seems like i run into shit, i added a Address to a Bitcoin wallet, deleted the Wallet with the Data, but still had a Backup from that wallet what i did before i added this Address.

So now, there are Bitcoin's on that Address, but i dont see even the Bitcoins my Address on my Wallet. Logically it isnt added yeah but how to fix?

So i tried:

setaccount "bitcoinaddress" "account"

Works, i see my address but not the bitcoins which are on it. And:

importaddress "Address", Which returns:

The wallet already contains the private key for this address or script (code -4)

Any idea how to fix that?  Huh
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2015, 02:23:48 PM

If you managed to import an address and its private without triggering the built-in rescan function to update the current balance of your wallet, then you will need to close the wallet software completely, and restart it with the rescan option from the command line.

The "wallet.dat" data file maintains a current balance for your addresses. Every time that a new block is downloaded, any payment to you is noted and the balance in addresses you own is updated in this local file.

However, if your local client is in sync, having already downloaded the entire blockchain, and you then import a private key through a third-party utility, the Bitcoin client doesn't go back in history searching for old payments to this new address. You must close Bitcoin, and relaunch it with the command-line option "bitcoin-qt -rescan". This will start up Bitcoin in a mode where for several minutes it will re-examine the blockchain and attempt to detect any missing payments to you to correct your balance.

After doing so, you should be able to go to the "send" tab and select "inputs", and see the individual payments previously received by this address which contribute to your balance. If you still don't, you should look up that specific address in a block explorer site to see if it really has coins - your old wallet may have your bitcoins in other addresses than the one you think, due to "change".

Here's another old post of how to do this:
You need to add a command line option at the command line. On windows, open "command prompt" under accessories.

Here is a typical command line session for 32 bit windows (blue is what you type):

C:\Users\user1>cd \

C:\>cd "Program Files"

C:\Program Files>cd Bitcoin

C:\Program Files\Bitcoin>bitcoin-qt -rescan

Then Bitcoin will start with the wallet splash screen displaying "rescanning..." for a minute or two.

Neoon (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 03:38:30 PM

Hey,

Thanks, i have even tried this:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys_in_Bitcoin_Core_0.7%2B

Not working, I just have my Address which i generated before, and it seems like when i try to import that into my Wallet it dosent works.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2015, 04:14:51 PM

Hey,

Thanks, i have even tried this:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys_in_Bitcoin_Core_0.7%2B

Not working, I just have my Address which i generated before, and it seems like when i try to import that into my Wallet it dosent works.

At which step does it not work?

What happens after you typed importprivkey ... into the console?

Did you try the rescan as deepceleron suggested?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
tonycamp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 04:17:47 PM

i only use on line wallets but pen storage for more btcs can be good to try to keep track of security codes

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● REGISTER NOW and GET 1000 DOGE for FREE!  >>
Neoon (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 04:29:26 PM

I got my Private Key now from the address by using: dumpprivkey [your public key here]

So, tried to do that again: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys_in_Bitcoin_Core_0.7%2B

Worked, exept that i dont see my Bitcoins, I just see the address in my wallet.

What else can i do to get on my bitcoins?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2015, 04:34:49 PM

I got my Private Key now from the address by using: dumpprivkey [your public key here]

So, tried to do that again: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys_in_Bitcoin_Core_0.7%2B

Wait till the rescan is done, after that your coins should show.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 04:56:09 PM

There are 2 possibilities (as has already been pointed out to you).

The first (and most likely in my opinion) possibility is that you perhaps extracted a private key for the wrong address.  How do you know that this address should have bitcoins associated with it?  Are you aware that when you send a transaction, the wallet creates a new address that it keeps hidden from you and moves the bitcoins (as transaction change) to the new address?  If you still have access to the old wallet and the bitcoins still show up under the old wallet, then you should run listunspent to get a list of all the unspent outputs in the wallet and the addresses that each of them are actually associated with.

The next possibility is that you imported the correct private keys, but you did so without re-scanning the blockchain.  If this has occurred, then you can rescan the blockchain and the bitcoins will show up.

It would be helpful if you could share the address with us that you are trying to import.  We could then investigate and make sure that it is the correct address and let you know a bit more about what you've done.

It is generally dangerous to be manipulating private keys if you don't understand what you are doing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: