Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:15:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So how on earth am I supposed to get bitcoins in the UK?  (Read 14464 times)
dannyjj (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:30:10 PM

The only optioned seemd to be OKPay. They have documentation which proves who I am, and where I live official government documents. Yet  if I do a bank transfer, they need to see further proof, a photo of my holding my identification! Are they fucking idiots? What a load of bellends.

With the terrible customer service on Intersango and MT GOX, how I am supposed to get Bitcoins in the UK? (it can't just be their banks, I worked in business, paying in £5000 a day, with other locations paying in £5000-10000 a day, and I never had problems with my business banking, so it's funny how BTC exchanges are!

People say that you can't do it by credit/debit card because of the risk of a chargeback, that's bullshit. I just purchased a £2000 Gibson by debit card, same thing. How is it different all of a sudden just because the product is bitcoins?

Mercabit tried to charge me something like £12.50 per bitcoin. No thanks... it was £8 or something last time which was reasonable :s

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:32:54 PM

The banking system in the UK is more controlled than most places. You're dealing in direct Rothschild territory. The Bank of England is bought out to the core. They have been since ground zero. Barclays and friends are close friends with J.P. Morgan who seem to be butthurt about Bitcoin according to a recent video about money laundering. Which proved to be just a giant shit on Bitcoin.

Basically, the banks there want nothing to do with Bitcoin. Good luck.
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:33:04 PM

Bitstamp.net  Smiley

dannyjj (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:35:53 PM

Bitstamp.net  Smiley

Any charges for Bitstamp in the UK, am I paying into a UK account?
MiningBuddy

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:42:45 PM

Bitstamp.net  Smiley

Any charges for Bitstamp in the UK, am I paying into a UK account?

You will most likely use SEPA payments, there's usually no direct charge from your bank to send a payment but you may loose a little depending on the exchange rates from GBP > EUR > USD. If your bank happens to offer free wire transfers (pretty unlikely tbh) you might be better off doing that straight from GBP > USD.

edit* Payments go to a bank in Slovenia where bitstamp are based

Malophor

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:43:39 PM

PingIt to blockchain should work for you. You could also open a US account.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 02:48:26 PM

There is a fairly viral solution to these problems that does work pretty well. I recommend trying it.

https://localbitcoins.com/

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
dannyjj (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:53:01 PM

PingIt to blockchain should work for you. You could also open a US account.

I don't have a Barclay's account, but I might go open one right now.

edit; just realised I can do it via lloyds.
SuperHakka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:58:56 PM

From the UK, the cheapest way to buy with GBP is via PingIt to Blockchain as the post above says (you have to open up an account with Barclays first). The fee is 0.97% total which is reasonable as even with Mt Gox you still have to pay a 0.6% transaction fee. The other way is to do international money transfer to say Mt Gox but it is expensive, e.g. with Barclays this costs £25 per transfer. I think Mt Gox's bank in Japan also charges like 1000Yen for handling the transfer so altogether you are looking at around the £35 mark. To make this cost efficient, you'd have to do a transfer of at least £10,000 and this gets the charge down to 0.35% plus add on the 0.6% from trading and you have equivalence with the PingIt/Blockchain method. Downside with PingIt though is you can only transfer a maximum of £250 per week.

WE WANT A CHEAP NO LIMIT WAY TO BUY BITCOIN IN GBP DAMNIT!

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
SuperHakka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 03:04:00 PM

There is a fairly viral solution to these problems that does work pretty well. I recommend trying it.

https://localbitcoins.com/

Interesting but lowest quote is £8.05. Highest bid on Mt Gox is £7.70 which means that the sellers on localbitcoins are making at least 4.5% profit. It will be cheaper to do international bank transfer to Mt Gox for £1000.

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
dannyjj (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 03:05:50 PM

OK so I'm just opening my pingit account now. Can you verify that Blockchain is legitimate?
MiningBuddy

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 03:07:12 PM

OK so I'm just opening my pingit account now. Can you verify that Blockchain is legitimate?
Blockchain.info is legit, shouldn't have any issues with that site.

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 03:20:26 PM

Hopefully the issues with Mt Gox's Barclays account will be resolved, or they'll set up another UK portal somehow.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 03:23:03 PM

Talk directly to me or Bitcoin Magazine. We sell a few bitcoins from time to time for GBP.

-
dannyjj (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 03:27:51 PM

Ok I've figured everything out on Pingit I think, where it says 'message', should I put my reference no. in there? Going to try it out with a smaller deposit before throwing a few hundred quid at it.
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 05:05:59 PM

I sell bitcoin for a fixed fee. As much as you will realistically need. Pm me.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 05:15:52 PM

For Bitcoin in the UK, BitInstant just released an online bank transfer system. This has not been publicly announced yet, but it works, and is very fast.  

On BitInstant.com, select your UK flag (You can see many other countries are available for this as well), then select Online Bank Transfer and go through the process. You can have the funds converted automatically into BTC and sent to your Bitcoin account, so you don't even need to bother with any exchanges. Fee is 3.49% if over $100 worth, and 3.99% if under.

EDIT: note that these bank transfer payments are nearly instant (matter of minutes). It does not take 1-3 days like most bank transfers. It's pretty baller, actually Wink
davidspitzer

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 05:17:16 PM

You can buy gold and silver with bitcoin from coinabul.com and then sell  it locally
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 06:22:02 PM

The only optioned seemd to be OKPay. They have documentation which proves who I am, and where I live official government documents. Yet  if I do a bank transfer, they need to see further proof, a photo of my holding my identification! Are they fucking idiots? What a load of bellends.

Shoe on head, sharpie in pooper and stfu.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
dannyjj (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:30:03 AM

Shoe on head, sharpie in pooper and stfu.

I might deliver to them. I called up their customer services before and it was absolutely diabolical.

Anyway, I've just sent Blockchain some money with Pingit. I probably won't see the bitcoins until the morning as Pingit is all mobile based and transactions will have to be processed manually, and understandably, the fella who runs blockchain is probably sleeping, unless he is nocturnal like me.

A local lad down in Crocky is also selling coins, I might pay him a visit and take everything he has.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: