Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:09:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USB hubs for ASICs  (Read 16382 times)
Xfinity

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:27:09 AM

What did you get that didn't work?

I am curious as well.

On topic:

I like to buy USB hubs that have proved themselves by reading user reviews.

Donations (BTC): 1L8EcGAuaDNK4kNxAbEBawo8ZaeFZvibgj
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 09:20:52 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-7-Port-USB-2-0-High-Speed-HUB-ON-OFF-Sharing-Switch-For-Laptop-PC-/110954699994?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

$5
Free shipping (from China, but I don't need it for a month at least)
Cool blue lights
7 ports.

How can you go wrong?  I got 2.

Its cool,but thats not a powered hub,it won't work for the Jalapeno's,only for the SC Singles 30 or 60 gh models.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Morblias (OP)

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 01:29:56 PM

I've gotten LOTS of cheap electronics from China, and I've never had a problem.  It's not that hard to implement USB (all of the USB you're using right now was almost certainly made in China).  I'll be very surprised if these hubs don't work.  If they don't, $10 loss.  No biggie Wink.

My biggest complaint was the cctv security camera I bought from China. It took FOREVER to figure out how to work it due to the software not working on Windows 7. Seems like every software of things sold on ebay from China only support windows xp. Then finding drivers for it to work took hours of looking and managed to download 2 viruses along the way (thank god it was in a virtual machine). I guess you should be fine though since USB doesn't require trying to find software haha.

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
squeept

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 01:49:18 PM

Kind of on topic: I think I'm going to buy a Jalapeno just to mod it to fit in a 5.25 bay for the novelty of it.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:45:49 PM

If you want to see one that doesn't work and what it did to not work, just hop over to newegg and sort by "best rating" then go to one of the last pages.  You'll find epic equipment like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817175014&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

read some of the reviews for mega lolz.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:12:11 PM

I've gotten LOTS of cheap electronics from China, and I've never had a problem.  It's not that hard to implement USB (all of the USB you're using right now was almost certainly made in China).  I'll be very surprised if these hubs don't work.  If they don't, $10 loss.  No biggie Wink.

My biggest complaint was the cctv security camera I bought from China. It took FOREVER to figure out how to work it due to the software not working on Windows 7. Seems like every software of things sold on ebay from China only support windows xp. Then finding drivers for it to work took hours of looking and managed to download 2 viruses along the way (thank god it was in a virtual machine). I guess you should be fine though since USB doesn't require trying to find software haha.

I once bought a cheap off-brand MP3 player off ebay that was shipped directly from China.  It never worked, and I think it might have simply been a theatre prop.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:19:49 PM

And you don't think daisychained firewire gets "overwhelmed"?

Sure, it can.  My point is that USB is great for many things; such as thumbdrives, keyboards & mice.  But streaming across a USB bus (particularly across a hub) is a hell of a bottleneck.  Firewire was literally designed for streaming of data.  Again, don't limit yourselves simply to the interfaces that you are used to.  USB would be fine for a single unit, but not for a large number of them.  They will each need their own stream from the host, and the overhead for streaming on USB is huge.  Each unit will be competing with all others for access.  This would also be true for firewire after a point, of course; but overhead for setting up and maintaining a dedicated data stream on firewire is much lower than USB.  USB's greatest advantage is that it's everywhere; and it's everywhere because it was the first market ready hot-pluggable serial bus standard.  USB is VHS, Firewire is BetaMax.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:47:38 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-7-Port-USB-2-0-High-Speed-HUB-ON-OFF-Sharing-Switch-For-Laptop-PC-/110954699994?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

$5
Cool blue lights
7 ports.

Its cool,but thats not a powered hub,it won't work for the Jalapeno's,only for the SC Singles 30 or 60 gh models.

It is a powered hub - says right in the description.  You need to put a 5v power supply into it, and I don't think one is included.  I'm doing SCs and bASICs, so it won't matter.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
ralree

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:52:39 PM

Ah yeah things like that from china can be a huge pain.  As long as it's a dumb piece of equipment, it's usually somewhat safe, but as soon as drivers are required, good luck.

ralree

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:53:58 PM

And you don't think daisychained firewire gets "overwhelmed"?

Sure, it can.  My point is that USB is great for many things; such as thumbdrives, keyboards & mice.  But streaming across a USB bus (particularly across a hub) is a hell of a bottleneck.  Firewire was literally designed for streaming of data.  Again, don't limit yourselves simply to the interfaces that you are used to.  USB would be fine for a single unit, but not for a large number of them.  They will each need their own stream from the host, and the overhead for streaming on USB is huge.  Each unit will be competing with all others for access.  This would also be true for firewire after a point, of course; but overhead for setting up and maintaining a dedicated data stream on firewire is much lower than USB.  USB's greatest advantage is that it's everywhere; and it's everywhere because it was the first market ready hot-pluggable serial bus standard.  USB is VHS, Firewire is BetaMax.

If my ASICs need more than 480Mbps (even combined) to calculate hashes, I'll be extremely surprised.

ralree

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:54:29 PM

I am curious as well.

On topic:

I like to buy USB hubs that have proved themselves by reading user reviews.

I'll try to remember to leave a review on here when these arrive.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 09:19:55 PM

$5
Cool blue lights
7 ports.

It is a powered hub - says right in the description.  You need to put a 5v power supply into it, and I don't think one is included.  I'm doing SCs and bASICs, so it won't matter.

Ah,I just looked at the pic & saw no wallwort.So you need to buy it seperately Huh They say 1 amp,so you can run only 1 Jalapeno.Oh well..............

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 10:05:23 PM

Belkin makes some very solid powered hubs
freeAgent

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 10:19:40 PM

Belkin makes some very solid powered hubs

I can second this.  Belkins are good.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 10:20:42 PM

I still have my 10 year old dlink.

stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 10:27:39 PM

The problem with USB hubs is there aren't any "good" ones.  There are only okay ones.  Newegg has 254 of them and none have significant numbers of high ratings.  If you want one that probably won't fail too soon, I'd go with basically anything without horrific ratings from:

Inland
Bytec
SIIG
Koutech
Belkin
Hawking
US Robotics
Kensington
TrendNet
Sabrent

A lot of those companies make some pretty bad ones but they also carry a couple that are pretty nice.
Ultra "makes" really bad products but their hubs I've had a lot of luck with too. (they don't make anything, they buy OEM and put their name on it).

if I had to buy one right this second, I'd say none of the above and get this beast:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4621333&CatId=392
not a bad price either

I have a D-Link DUB-H7 for 4 or 5 years now I think.  I have never had any problems with it.  The only problem is that it does not contain any USB 3.0 ports.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
EuroTrash

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 12:11:24 AM

In preparation for ASICs, what USB hubs do you have/are going to buy?

I am currently leaning towards http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/9583-mondohub

The ports are only 500mA, but I am assuming BFL Jalapenos will have something like dual usb inputs.

Do the Jalapenos use the USB port only for power, or do they use it for data connectivity?

According to the USB Charging Specification the max current is negotiated digitally. When non negotiated, the maximum is 500mA for USB2 and 900mA for USB3. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Charging_ports_and_accessory_charging_adapters for details.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 12:13:47 AM

Of course it uses data, but im pretty sure hubs dont care about negotiated power

ralree

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 04:09:56 AM

$5
Cool blue lights
7 ports.

Ah,I just looked at the pic & saw no wallwort.So you need to buy it seperately Huh They say 1 amp,so you can run only 1 Jalapeno.Oh well..............

Hmm I wonder if you have a PSU molex 5v and ground if you could just wire it directly into the DC barrel on there.  It would definitely supply more than enough power for some jalepenos.

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 04:15:52 AM

the pcb traces may melt

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: