Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:59:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada travel restrictions to terrorist hotspots  (Read 1282 times)
Sourgummies (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 06:56:20 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-proposes-travel-restrictions-1.3184703

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper said Sunday if re-elected he would introduce legislation that would make it a criminal offence for Canadians to travel to parts of the world under the control of extremist groups.

Another example of striping away freedoms under the guise of protection. Harper has been very active lately in attacking Canadians freedoms,will be interesting to see if we get a push back in the upcoming election.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 12:37:42 AM

It's only a proposal, but that's stupid. Men should be free to travel the world as they like, even if there are few legitimate reasons to go to war zones. I guess that if this is implemented, that will reduce the legitimate reasons to travel to Canada, as this country's turning into a police state. As long as you respect the law in one country, that country shall not have any right regarding what you do, or where you go outside of its borders.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
bojan92

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:05:41 AM

Why he would do such a thing. As a human being you have the right to go everywhere you want. The government can just suggest you not to visit such countries, because they are not secure. But this is just too much. What would happen if someone owns some kind of business in such a country. It will be a criminal offence to do your business?
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 05:58:39 AM

Another example of striping away freedoms under the guise of protection. Harper has been very active lately in attacking Canadians freedoms,will be interesting to see if we get a push back in the upcoming election.

This is a great example of how conservatives add hype to a politician's proposal to introduce new legislation.

First, this is merely a proposal "if I get elected!" It's an attempt to win votes for those that agree with him

Second, government is larger than one person, so this guy's proposal means nothing if others in the congress or legislative branch of Canada's government don't agree with him.

Finally (and most importantly), the statement "if elected" should motivate anyone who's not a fan of this legislation to vote for SOMEONE ELSE! And they could even try to convince others to vote for someone else, using this guys same statement that "if elected" he's going to...

Why do conservatives get so scared to hear about new legislation (especially when the legislation is being introduced out of fear!) It's ironic.

EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 06:13:54 AM

An obvious political ploy towards his userbase

As PM of a majority government it was well within his purview to change travel restrictions he did bill C51 already but it makes useful political ammo.
Not voting Conservative Bill C51 was an awful bill to permit Canadian government agencies to share information about individuals with limited needs for warrants and all on anyone.

Police will now have the power to preventatively arrest more people without a warrant. The bill makes slight tweaks to the current Criminal Code wording to widen the net of who police can arrest on suspicion.

Now someone can be arrested without a warrant if police believe the individual may carry out terrorist acts. Under the previous wording, arrest without a warrant was allowed only when police believed terrorist acts will be carried out.

Police now have the power to arrest without warrant if it is likely that this will prevent a terrorist act. Before C-51, arrest without warrant was allowed if it was necessary to prevent the terrorist act.

Seventeen government departments like the Canada Border Services Agency or the Canada Revenue Agency will now share information with, for example, Health Canada or the Communications Security Establishment Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/c-51-controversial-anti-terrorism-bill-is-now-law-so-what-changes-1.3108608

In other words Snowden warned us all.

freeyourmind

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:57:04 AM

It's only a proposal, but that's stupid. Men should be free to travel the world as they like, even if there are few legitimate reasons to go to war zones. I guess that if this is implemented, that will reduce the legitimate reasons to travel to Canada, as this country's turning into a police state. As long as you respect the law in one country, that country shall not have any right regarding what you do, or where you go outside of its borders.

It is just a proposal, but it doesn't benefit even one Canadian...why even put it forward?

It should be up to the individual on whether or not they feel safe enough to travel, and the government can definitely offer warnings to people looking to travel to dangerous regions, but it shouldn't make you a criminal for doing so.

Pro_Crypto_Marty

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

Bitcoin promoter. Pro Crypto tee wearer. Nice guy.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 06:29:24 AM

It's strange how people can be fed completely different info and possess completely different impressions about what's going on in the world.  Maybe I don't watch the news enough and am missing something because I find it hard to understand what can put people in mind to support the Harper gov's propositions.

To me they seem counter-intutive. Other's may feel that they're the only way that they'll be safe.

We are Pro Crypto. We make clothes that promote Bitcoin. Visit us at http://procrypto.net!
Check us out on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can also become an affiliate and make some money by advertising for us!
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 09:25:35 AM

What if there were Canadian Kurds and others travelling to the warzones specifically to fight ISIS? Bet he would suddenly start re-thinking his opposition then because he'd also be stopping any opposition from showing up to stop them too.

Forget the part about individual freedom, he just hasn't thought it through in the slightest, there are also American veterans who have gone back to Iraq to help the Kurds.
Sourgummies (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 11:22:04 AM

Believe he made a comment about people helping fight Isis being exempt.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 12:00:02 PM

Well that's a bit more sane, I do agree with people as an Anarchist though that simply removing peoples ability to go to certain areas is a bit dumb.
freeyourmind

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 05:13:39 AM

It's strange how people can be fed completely different info and possess completely different impressions about what's going on in the world.  Maybe I don't watch the news enough and am missing something because I find it hard to understand what can put people in mind to support the Harper gov's propositions.

To me they seem counter-intutive. Other's may feel that they're the only way that they'll be safe.

I'm in the same boat.  I've been so discouraged with Canadian federal politics for the past decade out of hopelessness that I haven't paid it much attention either.  But I was just talking with a friend today about his propositions, which imo would cause our society to take a step back rather than progress.

He also took a firm stance against decriminalizing marijuana despite 70% of Canadians supporting policy reform (from a poll) and constantly making the point that it will be easier for children to access.  It's incredible for a guy like this to lead a country, and for a population to buy this bullshit and vote him in with a smile.  I understand saying this type of bullshit to manipulate people maybe 15+ years ago when people didn't turn to the internet for their information, but it makes you look like a moron in 2015.
zenitzz

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 07:05:31 AM

The issue is not the country, it is ISIS. Making it illegal to travel to Somalia, or Iraq, or the Sudan, or Afghanistan etc. I dont support terrorism.
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 07:07:38 AM

I'm in the same boat.  I've been so discouraged with Canadian federal politics for the past decade out of hopelessness that I haven't paid it much attention either.  But I was just talking with a friend today about his propositions, which imo would cause our society to take a step back rather than progress.

He also took a firm stance against decriminalizing marijuana despite 70% of Canadians supporting policy reform (from a poll) and constantly making the point that it will be easier for children to access.  It's incredible for a guy like this to lead a country, and for a population to buy this bullshit and vote him in with a smile.  I understand saying this type of bullshit to manipulate people maybe 15+ years ago when people didn't turn to the internet for their information, but it makes you look like a moron in 2015.

Politics is a strange thing as long as you keep the userbase you control under your wing the rest does not matter,
Basically just acquire enough votes to govern in a region as its first past the post.
Just needs that 30% concentration and bang gov.

Sourgummies (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 10:37:36 AM

The issue is not the country, it is ISIS. Making it illegal to travel to Somalia, or Iraq, or the Sudan, or Afghanistan etc. I dont support terrorism.

So those with family in those Countries would not be allowed to visit. It would also be the first step. Next would be Countries we have trade disputes with.
tonycamp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 10:42:28 AM

but of course i do agree or at least pay more for those specific travels

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● REGISTER NOW and GET 1000 DOGE for FREE!  >>
freeyourmind

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 01:58:11 PM

Let's say I want to go backpacking and Somalia is one of the countries that I want to pass through with some of my European friends.  Please tell me how I am negatively impacting the life of even one Canadian, to conclude that is criminal activity???

I understand Canada taking a stance to not help if something goes wrong while traveling in those countries, but going straight to a criminal is a little much.
freeyourmind

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:06:41 PM

Politics is a strange thing as long as you keep the userbase you control under your wing the rest does not matter,
Basically just acquire enough votes to govern in a region as its first past the post.
Just needs that 30% concentration and bang gov.

Yeah it is very strange.  I understand the special interest groups that benefit from policy changes like "tougher sentences on crime"...from the perspective of self interest it makes sense.  But then you have the other bunch with low awareness and ignorance that doesn't benefit from policy change, but are manipulated to fear the outcome if the policy change doesn't happen.

I wonder if/when a philosophical mind will ever enter our political system and have success over the demagogues we currently have.  I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime, although I hope I'm wrong.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:25:51 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-proposes-travel-restrictions-1.3184703

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper said Sunday if re-elected he would introduce legislation that would make it a criminal offence for Canadians to travel to parts of the world under the control of extremist groups.

NDP.. it's our only hope of repealing bill C-51, nothing else matters.
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:27:48 PM

If harper told Canadians sucking his dick would help stop isis there would be a million person line up.

LIke 20% of our population is full blown fucking retards.  They understand nothing about the world and believe what ever harper says as true.  I know these people.. "ANY THING TO BE SAFE BRO".. these people (there are LOTS OF THEM) shouldn't have the right to vote.
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:28:30 PM

Let's say I want to go backpacking and Somalia is one of the countries that I want to pass through with some of my European friends.  Please tell me how I am negatively impacting the life of even one Canadian, to conclude that is criminal activity???

I understand Canada taking a stance to not help if something goes wrong while traveling in those countries, but going straight to a criminal is a little much.

Canada isn't taking a stance at all they are trying to get more and more power over their slaves.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: