Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:36:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum saying incorrect password  (Read 2815 times)
danonymoose (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 04:38:21 AM

I transferred some funds into my relatively new Electrum wallet, but I am unable to send them out for several reasons. 1) Upon my initial attempt at trying to send funds, Electrum told me that I had to enter my password. No problem, I thought. I entered my password and a box appeared saying that it was incorrect. I knew this was not the case, but I tried it again, and received the same 'Incorrect password' message. So I hit Google and tried everything that I could find. Tried restoring from seed, tried using electrum on a different PC. Nothing has worked. Not only did none of that work, but electrum is now saying that my address has changed, but still informing me that I have funds? When I restored from seed on another PC, the wallet had a different address with no balance. I'm truly at a loss as to what has happened. Can anyone offer any advice?
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 05:31:46 AM

If you are restoring from a seed and the new wallet says that you have no balance, then you entered your seed incorrectly. Double (and triple) check that you entered your seed correctly when you try to restore again, and hopefully this will solve your problem.

If electrum is telling you that you entered the incorrect password when trying to send funds from your wallet, then you did not enter the same password as you entered when you created your wallet (this is assuming that you were running the "correct" version of electrum and not some malicious version and/or that your computer is not somehow infected with malware). There is little point in trying the same password multiple times. You can keep a list of passwords that you have tried (unsuccessfully) to unlock your wallet, and hopefully you will be able to figure out your password after a small number of attempts. If this does not work, there are a number of programs that may help you "crack" your password if you know certain portions or it. The same is true with your seed, if you know certain portions of it, then there are some programs that will try to figure out what the "correct" seed is.

If you are comfortable posting your xpubkey then I can confirm that your "original" wallet in fact has the small amount of bitcoin. Although publishing your xpubkey will cause every transaction that you ever made with that wallet (seed) to be made public, both transactions in the past, and transaction in the future.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 12:44:01 PM

If you think, your seed became incorrect when your wrote or copy it, then I recommend you to try btcrecover[1] developed by btchris[2].

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover
[2] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1171

-snip-
If you are comfortable posting your xpubkey then I can confirm that your "original" wallet in fact has the small amount of bitcoin. Although publishing your xpubkey will cause every transaction that you ever made with that wallet (seed) to be made public, both transactions in the past, and transaction in the future.

I recommend you to use https://www.blockonomics.co/ to look for your balance. If you find your total balance as zero, then go to bottom and click 'Transactions' and see if it shows any transactions. If not, then your xpub is different.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: