Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:46:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are Casascius coins and why they worth so much ?  (Read 665 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6162

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 06:44:26 AM

As the title says , I see a lot of people selling them on the Goods section however I don't understand why they are so valuable , it's simply a coin made of what ? real gold ?
I even saw someone selling it for 14.999$ on Ebay Shocked also where is the source of those things

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
madonnino

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:29:31 AM

As the title says , I see a lot of people selling them on the Goods section however I don't understand why they are so valuable , it's simply a coin made of what ? real gold ?
I even saw someone selling it for 14.999$ on Ebay Shocked also where is the source of those things

casascius coined the firsts physical bitcoin , there are different types, from aluminum to gold.
More than a material value have a historical value ...
these coins are a milestone....
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:32:05 AM

casascius coined the firsts physical bitcoin , there are different types, from aluminum to gold.

That's it ? It's a waste of money If you ask me
But how to use them exactly , I mean how to spend them Shocked you can't ? If you want to spend them you just sell them as their value of gold ? also is the value of gold on them = of the BTC ? sort of confusing .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
madonnino

I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:35:48 AM

But how to use them exactly , I mean how to spend them Shocked you can't ? If you want to spend them you just sell them as their value of gold ? also is the value of gold on them = of the BTC ? sort of confusing .

coins have a private key under the hologram on the back, if you want to spend the bitcoins in the wallet you have to remove the hologram and import the private key.
So if u want to sell them or buy you have to consider the value of the coin itself + the amount of btc loaded.
It's like a physical wallet....I hope I was helpful Smiley
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:37:08 AM

coins have a private key under the hologram on the back, if you want to spend the bitcoins in the wallet you have to remove the hologram and import the private key.
So if u want to sell them or buy you have to consider the value of the coin itself + the amount of btc loaded.

Oh I see it make sense then Grin
But what makes people think that the company that created those Physical coins don't have copy of those private keys anywhere ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mattiadeabtc

Activity: 294

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:51:23 AM

But what makes people think that the company that created those Physical coins don't have copy of those private keys anywhere ?

I think this is a central question about physical coins, you have to trust who made it

madonnino

I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:53:20 AM

I think this is a central question about physical coins, you have to trust who made it

Off course you are right, but if u want a physical coins and you want to stay safe you can buy a DIY (do it yourself) coin, so you are able to create a wallet and put the provate key under the hologram, whit this method you have to no trust anyone, only yourself Smiley
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 08:00:23 AM

You can't really know. However, these coins are not meant for storing Bitcoins and thus your question is irrelevant.
They have historic, artistic and material value. I have only a Kialara coin and it is great. Just because you do not appreciate physical Bitcoins (who knows when this trend would have started without Casascius coins), that does not mean that their value is not there.

People are paying millions for other things that should not even have a artistic value as high as they do. $75M for this.
Physical Bitcoins in comparison aren't even that expensive. There are coins made of various materials, and coins that have been graded and ones that have not. Everything contributes to determining their price.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
mattiadeabtc

Activity: 294

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:01:41 AM

you can find more info about casascius coins here    https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Casascius_physical_bitcoins

OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:03:16 AM

Thank you for all your answers guys , really helpful , gonna check the wiki link you gave me too .
@LaudaM I hope you didn't feel offended or anything , honestly man . It wasen't my attention I know art is expensive and stuff but I just don't see why (just my opinion) ty again

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████