Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 12:42:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How recovering a wallet works  (Read 685 times)
czechkid (OP)

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:34:16 PM

Hi im not really into programming so i need to ask this question. It is said that if you create a paper wallet nobody gets to your coins. What about the private key? Is it store somewhere in the servers? How does blockchain.info or coinbase recognise my private key and matches it with my address? I think there is a simple answer to it but i cant think of it Smiley
shane

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:37:14 PM

Hi im not really into programming so i need to ask this question. It is said that if you create a paper wallet nobody gets to your coins. What about the private key? Is it store somewhere in the servers? How does blockchain.info or coinbase recognise my private key and matches it with my address? I think there is a simple answer to it but i cant think of it Smiley

you can use blockchain.info

Paper Wallet Advantages
Protection from malware and keyloggers.
Maintain 100% ownership of your private keys. You own the coins not a 3rd party service.
No dependence on the security of any website.
Keeping a piece of paper safe is easier than keeping your computer secure.

tutorial https://blockchain.info/id/wallet/paper-tutorial

▄▄██████▄▄
      ╓▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀███▄╖
   ▄███▀▀≈╜▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀╙≈▀▀███▄
 ▄██▀▄▓▀▄██▀╜    ╙▀██▄▀▓▄▀██▄
▐██,██║N▀`          '▀N║██ ██▌
██╜██╜╗                ╔╙██╙██
▐█▌█║                ║█µ▓▐█▌
▐█▌ ▐█║                ║█▌ ▐█▌
▐█▌▐╗█║                ║█╔▌▐█▌
██║▐█▄",              ,"▄█▌║██
▐██ ▀██½█▄▄        ▄▄█½██▀╓██▌
 ▀██▓▄▀▀╥▀▀▀      ▀▀▀╥▀▀▄▓██▀
   ▀▀███▓▄ª▀██████▀Q▄▓███▀▀
      ╙▀▀██▓▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀╜
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ▄       ▄▄        ▄▄    ▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄      ,▄▄▄
  ▄███▀▀▀▀███▄  ▄██▀▀▀██  ▄██████████   ███     ▐██▄       ██▌   █████  ▀███    ▄███▀
 ▐██▀      ▀██▌▐█▀        ██▀          █████    ▐████╗     ██▌           ╙▀█▀ ,███▀
 ██▌        ▐██           ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███ ███   ▐██▀██▄    ██▌   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ╙ ╔███"
▐██          ██▌          ████████   ███   ███  ▐██ `▀██▄  ██▌   ███████▀   ▄███,
 ██▌        ▐██           ██        ███     ██▌ ▐██   ╙███╗██▌            ,██████▄
 ▐██▄      ▄██▌▐█▄        ██▄      ███       █▌ ▐██     ╙████▌           ╔███  ▀██▄
  ▀███▄▄▄▄███▀  ▀██▄▄▄██  ▀█████  ███           ▐██       ▀██▌   █████  ▄██▌    ▀███▄
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀             ▀▀        ▀▀    ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀"      "▀▀▀

czechkid (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:47:15 PM

Yes i know but does blockchain.info know that im typing in the correct private key?
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:47:58 PM

private key is part of paper wallet, just like public key. best way is to generate wallet offline. I strongly recommend to use https://www.bitaddress.org. (and is also in Czech language for you convenience)

they will recognize them, when you import them. check this first: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys - quite valuable source
czechkid (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:50:43 PM

I need to learn to explain myself Smiley

I wanna know how the private key works in the whole system not how to do it Smiley
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 01:52:59 PM

{..} It is said that if you create a paper wallet nobody gets to your coins.

It depends on the way you create a paper wallet. For example, if you generate a private key in an insecure device and print it, then there is a high chance you will loose Bitcoins send to that address.

What about the private key? Is it store somewhere in the servers?

No. I think you don't know what a paper wallet is. Generally, a paper wallet is storing Bitcoins on a physical paper/document*.

Private keys are printed onto a paper. If you generate private key using an online wallet, Blockchain.info for example, then your private key is also in their server and in your paper -- doing this is highly discouraged. Don't generate private keys online!

* From wiki.

How does blockchain.info or coinbase recognise my private key and matches it with my address? I think there is a simple answer to it but i cant think of it Smiley

Addresses are calculated from private key and not vice versa. I recommend you to print both address and private key onto a paper when you create a paper wallet. So you can avoid confusions.

Edit:

I wanna know how the private key works in the whole system not how to do it Smiley

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:54:23 PM

and do you at least know difference between private and public key? because if not, I strongly recommend you to start from here, same principle works across whole IT world..

sorry, but you are asking for advance stuff and details without knowledge of real basics. so study first (you can include https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography) and ask later, no vice versa.

if you have private key of bitcoin address, you can import it to any wallet like electrum or blockchain web wallet. and blockchain is not official source or something, just one of block explorers, which is the most popular one..
czechkid (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:57:19 PM

{..} It is said that if you create a paper wallet nobody gets to your coins.

It depends on the way you create a paper wallet. For example, if you generate a private key in an insecure device and print it, then there is a high chance you will loose Bitcoins send to that address.

What about the private key? Is it store somewhere in the servers?

No. I think you don't know what a paper wallet is. Generally, a paper wallet is storing Bitcoins on a physical paper/document*.

Private keys are printed onto a paper. If you generate private key using an online wallet, Blockchain.info for example, then your private key is also in their server and in your paper -- doing this is highly discouraged. Don't generate private keys online!

* From wiki.

How does blockchain.info or coinbase recognise my private key and matches it with my address? I think there is a simple answer to it but i cant think of it Smiley

Addresses are calculated from private key and not vice versa. I recommend you to print both address and private key onto a paper when you create a paper wallet. So you can avoid confusions.

Edit:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key
Addresess are calculated from private keys. Thats what i was looking for Smiley
czechkid (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 02:00:05 PM

and do you at least know difference between private and public key? because if not, I strongly recommend you to start from here, same principle works across whole IT world..

sorry, but you are asking for advance stuff and details without knowledge of real basics. so study first (you can include https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography) and ask later, no vice versa.

if you have private key of bitcoin address, you can import it to any wallet like electrum or blockchain web wallet. and blockchain is not official source or something, just one of block explorers, which is the most popular one..

I do have basic knowledge thats why i ask advanced stuff Wink

You said:if you have private key of bitcoin address, you can import it to any wallet like electrum or blockchain web wallet. and blockchain is not official source or something, just one of block explorers, which is the most popular one..

My question is if blockchain or electrum never seen my private key or didnt generate my private key how do they recognize it and connect it to a public address but i already got the answer from previous poster Smiley
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 02:05:20 PM

-snip-
and blockchain is not official source or something, just one of block explorers, which is the most popular one..

Blockchain and Blockchain.info is different. Please be more specific when you explain it to newbies to avoid confusions.

Blockchain.info is the most popular one and the buggiest one... -- corrected for you!

Addresess are generated from private keys. Thats what i was looking for Smiley

Remember, first public key is derived from private key and then, address. An address is a hashed version of its public key and you can't calculate public key from an address.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_version_1_Bitcoin_addresses

mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:54:42 PM

for newbies or anyone new its good to learn about other options like having a cold wallet since if its done right its more secure.

but I wouldnt go the trouble its better to know the basics of your desktop wallet aka wallet.dat depending on whats used.

its pretty simple who wants to upload their existing balance - 1) reinstall btc core or whatever youre using 2) rename the wallet to wallet.dat and let it run
sana9821

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 06:04:52 PM

private key is part of paper wallet, just like public key. best way is to generate wallet offline. I strongly recommend to use https://www.bitaddress.org. (and is also in Czech language for you convenience)

they will recognize them, when you import them. check this first: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys - quite valuable source

arent generating it on the computer that will later be connected to internet is dangerous also? i would recommend to buy a really cheap pc or something like that to generate it and never use internet on it

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 06:11:01 PM

for newbies or anyone new its good to learn about other options like having a cold wallet since if its done right its more secure.

but I wouldnt go the trouble its better to know the basics of your desktop wallet aka wallet.dat depending on whats used.

its pretty simple who wants to upload their existing balance - 1) reinstall btc core or whatever youre using 2) rename the wallet to wallet.dat and let it run

There have been a plenty of tutorial on how to create a secure paper wallet, but it's been on the bottom of the recurring posts. I think we should request those posts to be stickied so that we can avoid on creating new threads like this one.

arent generating it on the computer that will later be connected to internet is dangerous also? i would recommend to buy a really cheap pc or something like that to generate it and never use internet on it

Yup, because if ever your machine downloaded a malware looking for these kind of files (wallet.dat files, privkeys and other files you needed to create a paper wallet) then it would be easy for the attacker to loot all the balances from that created paper wallet.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: