Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:34:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on solar energy ?  (Read 928 times)
H4M24 (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 02:46:59 PM

I've been into bitcoin for more than a year now ,but I have never mined any bitcoin or altcoin before ,beceause I always hear that mining isnt profitable anymore and it needs a high capital etc ... but today this idea came to my mind ,whitch is using solar/wind energy to mine bitcoins ,does it worth triying ? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:17:10 PM

I've been into bitcoin for more than a year now ,but I have never mined any bitcoin or altcoin before ,beceause I always hear that mining isnt profitable anymore and it needs a high capital etc ... but today this idea came to my mind ,whitch is using solar/wind energy to mine bitcoins ,does it worth triying ? 

Short anwser ... no.    Solar/Wind is actually a completely different investment.  It is not cheap when you have a decent amount of gear for mining.

You are better off following the cheap electricity.   So putting the gear in a cheap electricity area beats solar/wind all day long.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:29:49 PM

Would do well to search the forums first:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1145324

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3drnz0/solarpowered_bitcoin_mining_farm/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3ap8nz/solar_powered_bitcoin_s3_bitmain_miner/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1077811
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1041769

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 05:39:36 PM

nope, solar mining is more or less geek stuff and cool feeling, that you are generating bitcoin for "free" using sun energy. true is, that is hard to ROI sun collectors and accessories and is hard to ROI bitcoin miner...and well, this is just combination od both so..
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 06:28:46 PM

Although it is tempting to think of a solar power as being the ultimate source of free electricity for mining, the reality is that to make it work even half effectively you would need a large battery bank and a solar array capable of delivering at least 6 x the Power needed by the miner. This would then allow the miner to run during the 8 or so hours of sunlight as well as charging the batteries which would then keep the miner running during the following 16 Hours.

In practice it is better to look at Solar Power as a completely separate investment, particularly as the Solar Feed in Tariff will probably be more lucrative the mining.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 10:24:27 PM

In practice it is better to look at Solar Power as a completely separate investment, particularly as the Solar Feed in Tariff will probably be more lucrative the mining.

This is the the best part of anwser.  Solar/wind is just a whole different investment.  You are far better getting cheaper electricity vs building one of these "green" miners.

If you look into solar look into selling it back to electricity company, as likely one day you will not be able to compete with cheap electricity.  When this happens you will be selling to the company.
H4M24 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 11:34:53 AM

the place where I live  is %90 sunny, I alredy have 8 solar panels that provide 1800W ,I use them to pomp water to my fields ,I opened this thread just to learn from the experts and maybe give it a shot later and see how it'll turn.
H4M24 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 11:39:43 AM

I just toke a look on those threads , this looks like a bad investmet for individuals lol ,the concept sounds easy and profitable but the reality is a whole different story
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:20:33 PM

The problem is the amount of power most miners use.  If you have a decent amount it just leads into a decent amount of gear to do solar/wind which means its going to be expensive.  I wish it was cheaper I would love it if it was possible for a reasonable price.

But as far as now it's really out of reach vs finding cheap electricity.  Maybe one day in the future, but we are not there yet.
H4M24 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 04:37:16 PM

The problem is the amount of power most miners use.  If you have a decent amount it just leads into a decent amount of gear to do solar/wind which means its going to be expensive.  I wish it was cheaper I would love it if it was possible for a reasonable price.

But as far as now it's really out of reach vs finding cheap electricity.  Maybe one day in the future, but we are not there yet.

Thats sems to be our case here ,finding cheap electricity is far more convenient for now,
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 05:41:45 PM

Thats sems to be our case here ,finding cheap electricity is far more convenient for now,

I don't think its a for now thing.  I think it will remain cheaper for the foreseeable future.  The initial cost will always be there, and miners will need more then standard house doing it.

Only way it will change is if big tax benefits that bring price to cheap.  I don't see the gear such as battery's in quantity a miner needs going down soon, so tax benefit is main possibility.  But even if that happens I think it will be limited to less then miner needs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: