Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 03:57:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building your own ASICS device  (Read 5159 times)
solareclipse64236 (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:17:42 AM

does anyone know where to get a lead on manufacturers or suppliers?

tHash

Activity: 260

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:21:24 AM

ASIC design is WAY beyond do-it-yourself . . .
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:30:24 AM

does anyone know where to get a lead on manufacturers or suppliers?

Yes and I have looked into it,

ASIC design is WAY beyond do-it-yourself . . .

Your right as well but there is enough out there to get one built, you could skip the FPGA step and just emulate it but, then you have no PCB design. The suppliers will send you about 10 chips to put on your PCB and check to make sure they work right and all, then they will send the rest of your order if all is well. Now to make the plates for a ASIC is about 250k, then you have to pay for the first batch usually not under 1000 chips at 40% to 50% cheaper then the FPGA cost. What I really don't understand is BFL was supposed to deliver like anyday now and they just increased there specs. To do that 1 of 2 things had to have taken place. (1) A new PCB with more chips was made... Not all that hard to add chips they work alone anyways. (2) A new ASIC would mean to start the process all over again, and increase wait time again. If you want some more info Message me I know some companys

tHash

Activity: 260

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:36:22 AM

According to BFL the increased specs were actually planned as a firmware update for later on, to introduce as competition increased.   So it seems it is just a 50% overclock which they decided was stable.   I am sure that they were forced into it with the announcement about the bASIC 54GH/s spec increase.   
virtualripple

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:38:31 AM

did anyone get its asic in europe / what is the final cost and what was the waiting time? thx.
pagari

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:12:24 AM

here's another option. buy chips from zefir thread is here

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177827.0

zefir will then send your chips to burnin so he can build a diy rig for you.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179769.0

less of a hassle imo, this is what i'm going for since BFL can't get their shit together and avalon and asicminer blades are too rich for my blood.

tuliplover

Activity: 26

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:31:31 AM

here's another option. buy chips from zefir thread is here

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177827.0

zefir will then send your chips to burnin so he can build a diy rig for you.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179769.0

less of a hassle imo, this is what i'm going for since BFL can't get their shit together and avalon and asicminer blades are too rich for my blood.

A find this whole asic business too risky; we have no idea what's gonna happen in a few months, when my chips get here and I can assembly it.
Just buying bitcoin and altcoins seems to be a much better option.
pagari

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 09:48:44 AM

there's always a risk involved whether your mining or trading coins, just don't invest anything you're not prepared to lose  Grin
wojgp

Activity: 25

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 10:40:11 AM

The best is to invest as much as You can loose. If You do not risk You have no chance to earn Wink
deep0

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 11:34:20 AM

Avalon will release the specifications and make it open-source. Plus you can soon start ordering their chips!
Hei_

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 11:58:18 AM

Avalon will release the specifications and make it open-source. Plus you can soon start ordering their chips!

you cant simply build your own miner lol
tyz010

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:09:50 PM

A ton of people are going this route by buying from the group buys (zefir, Johnk), etc.  It's a bit of a gamble, because the boards to mount them on aren't even out yet, it is won't be terribly simple to mount them, but ultimately, crowdsourcing the assembly of miners may be the best way to get ASICS in the hands of many miners.  Companies just haven't been able to meet the demand, but there are plenty of people who are good enough with electronics that given a chip and a board should be able to get something working!
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:21:23 PM

you cant simply build your own miner lol

Yes you can. That's what they're doing.

Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:36:48 PM

wow, and this thread from back in october
and still the companies not delivering and orders taking forever

did anyone manage to build out anything themselves?

are the old mining rigs on ebay even worth looking at now? for other coins where competition is less

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
jorgeantolini

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:43:45 PM

really interesting those grouped proyects; woooww come on guys!!
Genom

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:59:50 PM

I would buy a few chips and would do my own tests for create my miner and if I have success I'll buy in higher quantities
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:37:12 AM

By the time you are done with your tests, the other group buys for Avalon chips are over. I started a new one for people near Asia (Philippines) and someone else started another for people in Europe (Germany).

We have the same price as Zefir's original thread. You decide and take a pick, I guess where you are geographically located is best. Also there are no known Electrical Engineers in my thread yet. Once I find one, I will get in touch and see if we can work out a project on this.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: