Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:48:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The man with no identity  (Read 3616 times)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 04:38:42 AM

Is no one going to mention how weird it is that the guy whos ID he stole was named John Doe?

But seriously this isn't that special, all over the world there are tons of people who no state has tabs on. I suppose the state interacting with a (clean, not-poor I assume) 1st world person who they don't have a file on is surprising, unfortunately.

Silly that the standard is to equate 'identity' with 'holding a fancy picture of someone who could plausibly be you'.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ciphermonk

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 08:03:54 PM

You can be rest assured, that your conversation with your boyfriend last night on the phone will never be listened to by an NSA agent, and even if it was, they will be bored to death by it, and furthermore, from your point of view, you'll never meet the NSA agent in real life, so you have no need to be embarrassed by it.

If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide, eh?

I'm quite confident that anything I've ever said or done would likely not be of any interest to the scanning algorithms of the NSA. And even if that were the case, if I were to choose to have someone listen to a conversation I had, I'd rather it was some anonymous person in a basement in a desert in Utah whom I will never meet, rather than any friends, family or neighbors or business associates that were not privy to the original conversation. I stand by what I said. And I'm sure that goes for most people, excluding the paranoid delusional types, which are a dime a dozen in this forum.

Please take the time to read this great blog post from Falkvinge:

http://falkvinge.net/2012/07/19/debunking-the-dangerous-nothing-to-hide-nothing-to-fear/

If you don't have time to read it, here's a wrap up:

1. You think you have nothing to hide? What if the rules/laws change ?
2. It's not you who decide if you have anything to fear from surveillance.
3. Laws need to be broken for society to evolve.
4. Privacy is a basic human need.

I completely stand by Falkvinge on this issue. The NSA, or anyone else, should not be granted authoritative access to monitor our communications. There are good tools to help you protect your privacy online. You can look into Off-The-Record (OTR) messaging for chat and GPG for e-mail. Both of these tools use strong public-key encryption schemes. Messages encrypted with these tools are believed to be secure for much longer than a lifespan. 
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: