Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:54:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: The man with no identity  (Read 3622 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:13:07 AM

For 22 years, John Doe, used the identity of a man whose wallet was stolen.

John Doe used this identity while employed where he had access to the Mayport Naval Station as well as JaxPort, the Jacksonville Port Authority.

Eventually, the FBI caught up to him and John Does is now prison time. 

But despite DNA testing and a thorough investigation, John Doe's real identity remains a mystery -- even to the FBI.

“It will continue to be a mystery unless he makes an admission to us,” Blanco said, adding, “I don’t know what he’s going to do when he gets out of prison, because the man doesn’t have an identity.”

- http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012/october/identity-theft-that-lasted-decades/identity-theft-that-lasted-decades

Presuming he does not choose to reveal his identity following release, he will likely find Bitcoin to be quite helpful in carrying on his finances, post-release.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 01:32:00 PM

A perfect spokesperson for bitcoin. lol  No, we should find out who he killed 23 years ago first.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:51:50 PM

A perfect spokesperson for bitcoin. lol  No, we should find out who he killed 23 years ago first.

He didn't kill anyone..he broke into the guy's car 22 years ago and stole his wallet...

dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:09:32 PM

He didn't kill anyone.

How do you know?  Grin Grin Grin

poop!
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 09:04:29 PM

He didn't kill anyone.

Because I read the article...but I suppose there is the chance that this man could have taken a life at some point and the FBI is none the wiser Tongue

dirtycat

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 11:12:10 PM

He didn't kill anyone.

Because I read the article...but I suppose there is the chance that this man could have taken a life at some point and the FBI is none the wiser Tongue

lies all lies!

poop!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 01:51:05 PM

I was kidding about him being a killer. But he must have something to hide bigger than a wallet theft. A spy maybe?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
dirtycat

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 07:55:16 PM

I was kidding about him being a killer. But he must have something to hide bigger than a wallet theft. A spy maybe?

you started it.. he is a killer!  spy? a spy would never get caught.

poop!
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 08:09:15 PM

If no identity means not knowing who you are and what you want, I guess that many are in this condition.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:06:14 PM

How do we know who is the victim then, maybe the guy that is in prison now is the actual victim, and the guy
on the outside is actually the imposter. Kinda like the movie faceoff.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:19:33 PM

But he must have something to hide bigger than a wallet theft.

A(n) (ex-)wife and 3 kids, maybe? Wink
dirtycat

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:46:42 PM

But he must have something to hide bigger than a wallet theft.

A(n) (ex-)wife and 3 kids, maybe? Wink

that he killed?  Grin

poop!
BBLotus

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 12:09:04 AM

Never comitted a real crime (that we know of) and yet he gets sent to Prison along with the violent offenders, rapist, and pedo's.

Have you heard about how in early 2000's Congress shot down a proposal by the NSA to create a super computer the size of a small town that would automatically record every phone call, txt message, and internet activitity of the ENTIRE WORLD WIDE WEB, as well as decrypting passwords and secret codes.

Well guess what, "http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/03/16/nsas-new-data-center-and-ultra-fast-supercomputer-aim-to-crack-worlds-strongest-crypto/"

They built it anyways. And it's even bigger than originally planned.

Privacy is entirely gone. Wiretapping laws are gone. So is reasonable suspicion and guilty until proven innocent.

I'm not exaggerating, in 12 states now it is a FELONY to film a police officer in broad daylight while on duty. People have already been sent to prison for that.

All I'm saying is I don't blame anyone for wanting to ditch their identity.

As citizens supposedly living in a "free society" we should have the option to not carry our identity on us at all times, and not be forced to get assocaited with it when we don't want too.

You may believe this opens the door for too many crimes, but I ask - when you see the crimes committed by our Government, Congress, and the wealthy who bribe them, does it even come close
in issues of morality?

Marketplace References:
====================
(Bought 4.2btc via Paypal.)
index.php?topic=115468.0
(Sold $70 in gift cards for btc. to "Btc Guy")
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 11:05:14 AM

I'm not exaggerating, in 12 states now it is a FELONY to film a police officer in broad daylight while on duty. People have already been sent to prison for that.

That was recently overturned by the USSC. Filming police officers in performance of their duty is now protected freedom of speech in all states.

Under that ruling and thanks to the Supreme Court’s refusal to weigh in this week, last year’s decision to not allow the enforcement of that law will stand, essentially making it for once-and-for-all perfectly legal at the highest level to tape record cops on the job.

FirstAscent

Activity: 812

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 06:05:55 PM

Never comitted a real crime (that we know of) and yet he gets sent to Prison along with the violent offenders, rapist, and pedo's.

Have you heard about how in early 2000's Congress shot down a proposal by the NSA to create a super computer the size of a small town that would automatically record every phone call, txt message, and internet activitity of the ENTIRE WORLD WIDE WEB, as well as decrypting passwords and secret codes.

Well guess what, "http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/03/16/nsas-new-data-center-and-ultra-fast-supercomputer-aim-to-crack-worlds-strongest-crypto/"

They built it anyways. And it's even bigger than originally planned.

Privacy is entirely gone. Wiretapping laws are gone. So is reasonable suspicion and guilty until proven innocent.

There was a thread about this. That's not what is taking away your privacy. You might want to learn how it works. As it turns out, what is and will take away your privacy in the future is technology in the hands of your neighbors, and businesses engaged in media.

You can be rest assured, that your conversation with your boyfriend last night on the phone will never be listened to by an NSA agent, and even if it was, they will be bored to death by it, and furthermore, from your point of view, you'll never meet the NSA agent in real life, so you have no need to be embarrassed by it.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 06:08:08 PM

You can be rest assured, that your conversation with your boyfriend last night on the phone will never be listened to by an NSA agent, and even if it was, they will be bored to death by it, and furthermore, from your point of view, you'll never meet the NSA agent in real life, so you have no need to be embarrassed by it.

If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide, eh?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 06:12:40 PM

I'm quite confident that anything I've ever said or done would likely not be of any interest to the scanning algorithms of the NSA. And even if that were the case, if I were to choose to have someone listen to a conversation I had, I'd rather it was some anonymous person in a basement in a desert in Utah whom I will never meet, rather than any friends, family or neighbors or business associates that were not privy to the original conversation. I stand by what I said. And I'm sure that goes for most people, excluding the paranoid delusional types, which are a dime a dozen in this forum.
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 06:12:55 PM

I poop with the door shut.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 06:25:37 PM

I'm quite confident that anything I've ever said or done would likely not be of any interest to the scanning algorithms of the NSA. And even if that were the case, if I were to choose to have someone listen to a conversation I had, I'd rather it was some anonymous person in a basement in a desert in Utah whom I will never meet, rather than any friends, family or neighbors or business associates that were not privy to the original conversation. I stand by what I said. And I'm sure that goes for most people, excluding the paranoid delusional types, which are a dime a dozen in this forum.
I'd rather not have anyone listen in on any conversations. Even a computer.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 06:41:56 PM

Everyone knows that the guy's real name is Dick Whitman.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 07:10:28 PM

But technology is obviously inevitable. Given that, you're likely to suffer more embarrassment, persecution, fouled relationships, business problems and neighborhood gossip because of technology enabled spying and media leaks (already here and/or coming soon) than you ever will from an NSA operation.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 07:20:41 PM

But technology is obviously inevitable. Given that, you're likely to suffer more embarrassment, persecution, fouled relationships, business problems and neighborhood gossip because of technology enabled spying and media leaks (already here and/or coming soon) than you ever will from an NSA operation.

Technology is inevitable. It's use is not. Only the NSA has reason to spy on everyone.

FirstAscent

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 07:26:05 PM

Technology is inevitable. It's use is not. Only the NSA has reason to spy on everyone.

Exactly. They're trying to protect you from bad things. On the other hand, your neighbors, business associates and other people you know and interact with do not have good reasons to spy on you, and whatever they find out can affect your reputation or well being, unlike the NSA, which has zero effect on you.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 07:27:35 PM

I'm quite confident that anything I've ever said or done would likely not be of any interest to the scanning algorithms of the NSA.

That's kind of sad -- believing that nothing you have ever said or done, or will ever say or do, has any value to anyone.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 07:31:21 PM

Only the NSA has reason to spy on everyone.

Exactly. They're trying to protect you from bad things.

Ha! Such naivete. No, son, they're not trying to protect us from bad things. They're trying to protect themselves, largely from us.

FirstAscent

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 07:39:51 PM

I'm quite confident that anything I've ever said or done would likely not be of any interest to the scanning algorithms of the NSA.

That's kind of sad -- believing that nothing you have ever said or done, or will ever say or do, has any value to anyone.

This is why it's so annoying arguing with you boneheads. I mean, your statement does not follow as a consequence of what I stated. Pathetic.
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 07:43:06 PM

Ha! Such naivete. No, son, they're not trying to protect us from bad things. They're trying to protect themselves, largely from us.

Themselves? Their phone calls to their friends and family are in there as well. They are us.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 07:50:06 PM

This is why it's so annoying arguing with you boneheads. I mean, your statement does not follow as a consequence of what I stated. Pathetic.

Sorry. I didn't realize we were having an argument. Anyway, since this is an argument, I guess I should respond. While what I wrote was obviously hyperbole, it does follow from your statement, and there is some truth in it

FirstAscent

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 07:58:28 PM

Sorry. I didn't realize we were having an argument. Anyway, since this is an argument, I guess I should respond. While what I wrote was obviously hyperbole, it does follow from your statement, and there is some truth in it

It doesn't follow in any way at all. But my entire experience of your statements does in fact have zero value.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 08:20:37 PM

Themselves? Their phone calls to their friends and family are in there as well. They are us.
Can I listen to their calls? No? Then they are not us.

odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 08:21:35 PM

It doesn't follow in any way at all. But my entire experience of your statements does in fact have zero value.

I think this applies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 08:46:13 PM

FirstAscent, do you poop with the door shut?
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 08:56:25 PM

I think you missed the whole point.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 09:00:53 PM

I think you did.

FirstAscent

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 09:05:50 PM

I think you did.

Nope.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 09:16:24 PM

I think you've evaded my innocent question
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 09:35:46 PM

Yep.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 09:41:40 PM

You are missing the point; it's not an issue of somebody having access to your or my emails, location, conversations, and contacts. The issue is one entity having an exclusive acess to everybody's information. Total asymmetry.

What do you think?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 01:37:42 AM

You are missing the point; it's not an issue of somebody having access to your or my emails, location, conversations, and contacts. The issue is one entity having an exclusive acess to everybody's information. Total asymmetry.

What do you think?

I think asymmetry is fine. Like I said, my emails sitting on some harddrives in a secure complex in the Utah desert bothers me much less than my emails being accessible by people I actually live and work with. Seems like a no brainer. I'm not paranoid.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 03:32:11 AM

Is this a euphemism for something?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 04:38:42 AM

Is no one going to mention how weird it is that the guy whos ID he stole was named John Doe?

But seriously this isn't that special, all over the world there are tons of people who no state has tabs on. I suppose the state interacting with a (clean, not-poor I assume) 1st world person who they don't have a file on is surprising, unfortunately.

Silly that the standard is to equate 'identity' with 'holding a fancy picture of someone who could plausibly be you'.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ciphermonk

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 08:03:54 PM

Please take the time to read this great blog post from Falkvinge:

http://falkvinge.net/2012/07/19/debunking-the-dangerous-nothing-to-hide-nothing-to-fear/

If you don't have time to read it, here's a wrap up:

1. You think you have nothing to hide? What if the rules/laws change ?
2. It's not you who decide if you have anything to fear from surveillance.
3. Laws need to be broken for society to evolve.
4. Privacy is a basic human need.

I completely stand by Falkvinge on this issue. The NSA, or anyone else, should not be granted authoritative access to monitor our communications. There are good tools to help you protect your privacy online. You can look into Off-The-Record (OTR) messaging for chat and GPG for e-mail. Both of these tools use strong public-key encryption schemes. Messages encrypted with these tools are believed to be secure for much longer than a lifespan. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: