Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:35:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The EFF's damage to Bitcoin continues.  (Read 13205 times)
teamhugs

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 02:09:45 AM

The EFF has been in DC for a long time. I think it's getting to them.

They have one guy in DC, the rest are in San Fran.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 02:15:44 AM

The EFF isn't here to push the envelope themselves.  

They used to push envelopes:

1999: EFF and Anonymizer launch the Kosovo Privacy Project, an anonymous and secure email and Web surfing service conceived by Alex Fowler and Patrick Ball to ensure the protection of Kosovars, Serbs, and others reporting on the Kosovo War within the region from reprisal from Serbian officials.

December 2010: Following the United States diplomatic cables leak, the EFF offered support to WikiLeaks, with John Perry Barlow saying the EFF was 'trying to make sure they have plenty of mirror sites, back-ups, we're organising donations for them and generally doing everything we can to see that Wikileaks is not assailable by the methods that have been used against it so far'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Electronic_Frontier_Foundation_actions

I'm not buying the EFF's explanations. I think they made an economic decision in order to protect their current interests and relationships but don't wish to say so publicly.

My intention here was not to stir up ill-feelings towards the EFF, despite my obvious consternation. They are invaluable on many fronts, and the Bitcoin community may quite likely rely on their assistance in future.

I'll even begrudgingly grant that their failure to put forth their own stance on Bitcoin in a way that didn't appear like a more general warning against it, is mostly a function of them not having the resources to take on this particular battle.

I suspect recent media reports that Wikileaks is considered an 'enemy of the State' are not accurate representations of the US gov position - but it does seem incongruous for them to advocate for others to directly support Wikileaks, whilst simultaneously giving a negative portrayal of the risks for supporting/using Bitcoin:  I haven't seen 'possible subject role' or 'untested legal concerns' type statements re Wikileaks.  In the scheme of things, I can see that support for government transparency and media freedom are likely to be considered by many to be more important and pressing than the monetary freedom we in the Bitcoin community generally espouse.

A good way forward I think would be for someone to present a case for the EFF to accept donations via a Bitcoin intermediary such as Bitpay or Paysius.
Someone from one of those intermediaries would probably be best placed to do that.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
pretendo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 05:15:54 AM

Ugh, this community never misses a chance to hate on women.  No wonder they want nothing to do with you spergs.

It's not quite as bad as reddit...yet.
reddit is shitty for different reasons
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 06:47:29 AM

The EFF has been in DC for a long time. I think it's getting to them.

They have one guy in DC, the rest are in San Fran.

Ok, The EFF has been in DC and San Fran for a long time. I think it's getting to them.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 06:16:45 PM

Ugh, this community never misses a chance to hate on women.  No wonder they want nothing to do with you spergs.

It's not quite as bad as reddit...yet.
reddit is shitty for different reasons

cause almost everyone is a leftist there
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: