Bitcoin Forum
December 08, 2016, 08:13:41 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with dishonest bitcoiners  (Read 1172 times)
djinfected

Activity: 24

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:03:51 AM

Hello there,

I've been doing business on a bitcoin classifieds site and recently I sent bitcoins to a user who was selling a Motorola Xoom. He claims that I never sent him the bitcoins but I have 261 confirmations now and I've even got the block explorer pages pulled up detailing his shady behavior. He received the bitcoins and two hours later sent them to another address.

What can I do to prevent this kind of thing from happening again? What do users typically do? Are we reliant on an honor code here?

Thanks for any input you have.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:07:17 AM

Hello there,

I've been doing business on a bitcoin classifieds site and recently I sent bitcoins to a user who was selling a Motorola Xoom. He claims that I never sent him the bitcoins but I have 261 confirmations now and I've even got the block explorer pages pulled up detailing his shady behavior. He received the bitcoins and two hours later sent them to another address.

What can I do to prevent this kind of thing from happening again? What do users typically do? Are we reliant on an honor code here?

Trade with users with a reputation, and use escrow services such as clearcoin.

Sorry that you got scammed, that's pretty bad Sad
Alaron

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:09:35 AM

I saw the same post. I contacted that seller and I offered to use some kind of escrow, but he said he didn't trust them. RED FLAG

You just need to watch out for scammers. Really to me this is the biggest downfall of Bitcoins, is there is way too much scamming going on, and it could potentially ruin the whole economy.

Sorry you got scammed.
djinfected

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:12:12 AM

Hello there,

Sorry that you got scammed, that's pretty bad :(
I wish I had known about clearcoin before I started! 25BTC for a brand new Xoom just seemed too good to be true. Well, I'll make sure to leave nasty feedback for him ;)

I saw the same post. I contacted that seller and I offered to use some kind of escrow, but he said he didn't trust them. RED FLAG

You just need to watch out for scammers. Really to me this is the biggest downfall of Bitcoins, is there is way too much scamming going on, and it could potentially ruin the whole economy.

Sorry you got scammed.
His feedback page is here: http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/feedback/227/
Maxxx

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 06:35:36 AM

Hello there,

Sorry that you got scammed, that's pretty bad Sad
I wish I had known about clearcoin before I started! 25BTC for a brand new Xoom just seemed too good to be true. Well, I'll make sure to leave nasty feedback for him Wink

Sorry you got scammed.
His feedback page is here: http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/feedback/227/

There are other seller profiles I have seen on other sites with the same style of feedback. e.g. "fast! I got my confirmation in minutes."  With offers that are just almost on that border of being too good to be true. This is likely the same person. They have a method that's working, getting bids on bidding pond, selling on other sites, so he switches up the story a bit and throws a little salt in the feedback but that's it. Long winded feedback that sounds like the buyer got a free bj out of the deal is likely fake.

Time is money. This means that if you have spare time, you can use it to make money.

Modular, open, and stack-able miner case.
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Live and Let Live

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 07:13:48 AM

Follow the guide here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Secure_Trading

This guide describes a way of trading that makes it very hard to scam.

One off NP-Hard.
djinfected

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:44:51 PM

Follow the guide here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Secure_Trading

This guide describes a way of trading that makes it very hard to scam.
Smiley Thank you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.