Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:05:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S5 - Underclock - Undervolt - Best J/GH  (Read 31034 times)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 08:33:28 PM

I got my hand on a 1.9, was surprised since it take over 393.75 freq effectively, running 400hz at 1.32+ TH/s with virtually no HWE, all the others cap at 393.75hz at 1.29-1.3~.

SMD's aren't that bad. We'll see if this board is a 1.9 or 1.91 and see what happens from there. Maybe we'll have another project on this thread.

Also forgot to post this up... High res shot of the 1.3 hash board

http://wavemadison.net/mine/s5_1.3_hash.jpg

dammit, how does everyone embed these images?
Code:
[img][/img]

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1slickvdc

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 09:09:25 PM

I've been running my V1.3 at 400MHz with .013% HWE with that monster PSU.

I tried those IMG tags and that image proxy/invalid image thing is what comes up
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 09:34:11 PM

I've been running my V1.3 at 400MHz with .013% HWE with that monster PSU.

I tried those IMG tags and that image proxy/invalid image thing is what comes up

Ah i see what you mean.

I use this format normally it work;

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/l45Vt4I.jpg[/img]

Something might be wrong with the picture itself. Since this work;

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/3UjmfRn.jpg[/img]

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
1slickvdc

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 09:54:58 PM

Might be the images are too large or too high of a resolution. Damn phone shoots like 16MP with a 5MB file.
1slickvdc

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 04:02:25 AM

My "brand new" S5 v1.91 is here, including a nice 80+ Gold PSU for my 1.3 to bring those consumption numbers down. I'll poke around with this and get some numbers on my 1.91.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 06:45:44 AM

My "brand new" S5 v1.91 is here, including a nice 80+ Gold PSU for my 1.3 to bring those consumption numbers down. I'll poke around with this and get some numbers on my 1.91.

Its very interesting to "poke around" i have 1.1, 1.3, 1.5 and 1.9 and 1.91 mixed in 4 S5 and oddly enough, i have no idea why, but they all cap at 393.75hz on high quality PSU, 375hz on lesser psu (Like gold raidmax)...

Except the 1.9, that one do 400hz with no HW, getting 1.32TH/s while all the other cap at 1.29~TH/s. I don't get it. And i suspect i could push it a bit further but i'll wait a little for the motivation to do further voltage testings. I dont get it because its not the PSU having higher voltage itself. When i swap PSU used by 2 S5, they still get the same hashrate/HWE%.

At least i know that EVGA G2 and GS have consistent top notch clean power, same with the server PSU's i got from Quakefiend.

I'd just like to understand why the 1.9, i assume, have higher core voltage than all the others. It is my only guess as to why it is stable at higher OC.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
1slickvdc

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 05:28:53 PM

Its very interesting to "poke around" i have 1.1, 1.3, 1.5 and 1.9 and 1.91 mixed in 4 S5 and oddly enough, i have no idea why, but they all cap at 393.75hz on high quality PSU, 375hz on lesser psu (Like gold raidmax)...

Except the 1.9, that one do 400hz with no HW, getting 1.32TH/s while all the other cap at 1.29~TH/s. I don't get it. And i suspect i could push it a bit further but i'll wait a little for the motivation to do further voltage testings. I dont get it because its not the PSU having higher voltage itself. When i swap PSU used by 2 S5, they still get the same hashrate/HWE%.

At least i know that EVGA G2 and GS have consistent top notch clean power, same with the server PSU's i got from Quakefiend.

I'd just like to understand why the 1.9, i assume, have higher core voltage than all the others. It is my only guess as to why it is stable at higher OC.

My 1.3, using that DPS-800 PSU (which runs at 12.65V loaded) can run 400-425MHz stable and less than .1% HWE most of the time. Runs around 1.3-1.4TH at that speed. Gets seriously hot and needs to run the fan balls out even with a window nearby (outside ambient temp <10C). Just put a NEX750G on it and brought it back down to 350MHz, nice and cool at 50C, although running a .025% HWE, which seems high at stock speeds.

I'm getting some numbers on my 1.91, although I don't know if any of y'all tried undervolting at stock speeds, and speeds near that. I'm starting at 350MHz and working my way down with voltage and core frequencies.
1slickvdc

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 07:01:43 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2015, 07:18:51 PM by 1slickvdc

A note on my methodology here: I'd mine for no less than 10 minutes at any given freq/volt combination, then reduce voltage (restarting cgminer at each step-down) until GH/s rate reduced significantly, then bring voltage to last working level, and then drop frequency. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Temps are with fixed "30%" fan speed, ~20C ambient.

RichBC (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:01:26 AM

A note on my methodology here: I'd mine for no less than 10 minutes at any given freq/volt combination, then reduce voltage (restarting cgminer at each step-down) until GH/s rate reduced significantly, then bring voltage to last working level, and then drop frequency. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Temps are with fixed "30%" fan speed, ~20C ambient.

A nice set of numbers and very consistant with what I have measured. I have found that J/GH continues to improve as you drop voltage / frequency with the absolute best J/Gh being between 150MHz & 175MHz.

The other thing I have found is that each hash board in an S5 gives a different result so as you reduce the volts it is initially just one of the boards that is responsible for the increased HW error rate. It's worth  doing some measurements on individual boards to better understand your system.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
1slickvdc

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:03:21 AM

The other thing I have found is that each hash board in an S5 gives a different result so as you reduce the volts it is initially just one of the boards that is responsible for the increased HW error rate. It's worth  doing some measurements on individual boards to better understand your system.

I've noticed hash rates roughly half of normal at certain combinations, so I must have one board that misbehaves before the other. Too bad there's no tattle-tale on which board.
RichBC (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:21:25 AM

I've noticed hash rates roughly half of normal at certain combinations, so I must have one board that misbehaves before the other. Too bad there's no tattle-tale on which board.

If one board drops out completely usually but not always the Red led on the board will go out.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
1slickvdc

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:24:10 AM

Yeah. Just didn't seem like a normal dropout. Lights were both on. Hashing very slowly, at roughly 50% power. Strange.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:53:44 AM

So how are you are running these undervolted? You have some special PSU that runs at 10Volts? Aren't those noisy and expensive?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
RichBC (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 09:19:08 AM

So how are you are running these undervolted? You have some special PSU that runs at 10Volts? Aren't those noisy and expensive?

I have two systems. First I have a pair of Meanwell 5V PSU's in series, these allow me to adjust between 9V & 12V

Second I have a Server PSU with a Buck Converter on the output, and can set any voltage with that. Neither solution is expensive or more noisy than other PSU. Various pictures & information in this thread.

Rich

adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 06:23:28 PM

I have two systems. First I have a pair of Meanwell 5V PSU's in series, these allow me to adjust between 9V & 12V

Second I have a Server PSU with a Buck Converter on the output, and can set any voltage with that. Neither solution is expensive or more noisy than other PSU. Various pictures & information in this thread.

Rich

Anyone to use a regular computer PSU ?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 07:32:07 PM

Rich

Anyone to use a regular computer PSU ?

You can do it but you'll have 12v output so you will need to use buck converter and i don't know if you can make these adjustable. Meanwhile you can get server PSU with an adjustable volt pot so you can get exactly the volt output you need without going through a gadget.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 05:23:43 AM

Which server PSU have an controllable output voltage option?

The 12V -> Buck Converter for every PCIe port is just going to create a huge mess with alot of wires.

My main focus is to just make the S5 quieter. The aftermarket fans are too expensive.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
RichBC (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 06:07:37 AM

The 12V -> Buck Converter for every PCIe port is just going to create a huge mess with alot of wires.

My main focus is to just make the S5 quieter. The aftermarket fans are too expensive.

With a 40 Amp Buck Converter you only need one.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/500W-40A-Buck-converter-7V-25V-to-1V-21V-step-down-module-adjustable-and-high-efficiency/1813877363.html

Rich

adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 09:44:16 AM

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/500W-40A-Buck-converter-7V-25V-to-1V-21V-step-down-module-adjustable-and-high-efficiency/1813877363.html

Rich

How would you hook that up to both the S5 blades?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 10:24:46 AM

Rich

How would you hook that up to both the S5 blades?

You just connect all the 4 PCI-e cable ground to the ground and the 4 PCI-e cable +12v to the output +volt. Or 2 PCI-e cable then use 2 splitter if you want to connect less things directly on the buck converter. Same principle apply for others converter, which might be a good thing to keep in mind since that one in particular seem out of stock.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀