Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:39:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When is Second Life starting to use Bitcoin?  (Read 1379 times)
Falconer
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1127

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 12:49:26 PM

second life has its own money, linden dollar, then I dont think it need to use bitcoin there. Bitcoin was used to change fiat as payment tool in our real life, not in virtual life imo. Anyway I never play second life, why we need to live in virtual world? Roll Eyes

You know, if you are using VirWox service, you can easily exchange your BTC funds through ''linden dollar'' to paypal and cash out.
Otherwise is not easy to transfer bitcoin funds to paypal, so I know that many bitcoin users like VirWox because of this possibility.
Of course, their exchange fees are very high but you can't have everything Smiley

Well I think there are other ways to cash out bitcoin through paypal, then we dont need to use linden dollar if we want to cashout bitcoin. But actually it depends on the second life players, if they feel that as a useful thing, its okay then Smiley

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 12:51:48 PM

Yeah I'm not sure why they would switch to Bitcoin since they have their own currency already.
Would be a silly move to be honest.

Shattered

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:12:18 PM

Yeah, users need to go to virwox to exchange linden for BTC
Linden labs wants total control over their linden dollars and the system works so why change?

Besides, only about 20 people use second life anymore

I remember playing secondlife years ago....it was actually pretty fun IIRC, but i didnt think many people would still be playing it in 2015.

I guess they have a nice loyal user base still playing, which for them is good.
Maybe i should see if my old acct is still valid now that im starting to bore of playing GTAV online  Tongue
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 05:43:07 PM

I remember trying second life once a couple of times, then I stopped bothering and forgot why, then more recently I came back to it again. There are way too many restrictions on that 'game' and it does revolve entirely it's in game currency being milked as much as possible. For instance, if you want to import a 3D Model into the game which is actually a very simple process by itself you unfortunately have to go and set up a premium account, here's the catch though they only take credit cards and no, I'm not talking about only taking mastercards I mean, they literally only take credit cards, no debit cards and of course no Bitcoin.

So what they're doing seems extremely dodgy to me and it's also limtiing people from uploading loads of stuff to Second Life and messing around in the universe as much as possible, if the signup process wasn't so ridiculous there would be loads of different second life worlds out there and models, but nope, they're fucking people around the same way all these micro-transaction infested games do.

Honestly, you'd be better off screwing around in GMod, at least on there you have your own dedicated servers and can import models easily this also reinforces my opinion that you just shouldn't have real curreny connected to computer games.
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:54:17 PM

Nobody wants Bitcoin.  The 2013 pump was all Willy Bot (MtGox) and then public personalities who were saying Bitcoin would be $10,000 by Christmas..

Bitcoin's been out since 2009 January, AFAIK, and the Federal Reserve said only 100,000 are using it.  CoinBase claims they have millions of users but even Alexa Rank says more people are using Bitcointalk than CoinBase and there's clearly not millions of people posting on here...

Before we say "Bitcoin is MySpace", MySpace had like 50+ million users.  Even Alta Vista had more users than Bitcoin.  Even Beta Max sold like 18 million machines and yet Bitcoin can't even get more than 100,000 users..

Hell yeah! Let's take the kid's advice and use a competing company's stats as if they are real. /s
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 06:44:58 PM

I remember trying second life once a couple of times, then I stopped bothering and forgot why, then more recently I came back to it again. There are way too many restrictions on that 'game' and it does revolve entirely it's in game currency being milked as much as possible. For instance, if you want to import a 3D Model into the game which is actually a very simple process by itself you unfortunately have to go and set up a premium account, here's the catch though they only take credit cards and no, I'm not talking about only taking mastercards I mean, they literally only take credit cards, no debit cards and of course no Bitcoin.

So what they're doing seems extremely dodgy to me and it's also limtiing people from uploading loads of stuff to Second Life and messing around in the universe as much as possible, if the signup process wasn't so ridiculous there would be loads of different second life worlds out there and models, but nope, they're fucking people around the same way all these micro-transaction infested games do.

Honestly, you'd be better off screwing around in GMod, at least on there you have your own dedicated servers and can import models easily this also reinforces my opinion that you just shouldn't have real curreny connected to computer games.

I never liked that game. It looks so goofy and generally cheap, it just makes no sense. Aesthetically it's a mess. If you want to waste some time on videogames there are certainty much better options.
goosoodude

Activity: 584
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:46:43 PM

I don't know if they will accept it or not, but i have to say that i'm not anticipating it. From what i can tell, second life's linden dollars are a centralized currency,
and as such do not fall under any outer influences nor regulation. In another words , they can do whatever they want with it, and sell and create as much as they want,
so why would anyone want to sell limited edition bitcoin for something centralized and unlimited ?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:38:15 PM

Hi guys!

Recently I've thought about Second Life. Second Life was one of the first sites, if not the first to introduce the concept of virtual currency.

They have their own centralized currency, the Linden Dollar.

For now I know that it is not possible to buy Lindens with bitcoin through the 2nd life site, but people have been using Wirvox exchange to do just that:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/bitcoins-to-lindens/td-p/2550854

So my guess is, When is Second Life Linden) starting to use Bitcoin?

Is there any mention from Linden about this?

I don't really know. It's probably, as always, an ego fight. They want their own currency. At least you can exchange it for Second Life Linden Dollar tho, too bad the fees are insane.
Wirwox is to blame.
I used to exchange there. Their fees are so high that if you try to buy bitcoin through paysafecard, you will get something close to 70% of the fiat you paid in bitcoin. It's stealing money.
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:10:50 PM

Linden Lab will likely never use Bitcoin in-game because of compliance issues.
They could concidder to use Bitcoin to let people buy Linden$.

Second Life has a huge community and it's not too hard to earn some extra pocketmoney. You do need a fast computer to really enjoy playing.
Lag is the main issue and perhaps the reason that it hasn't grown much larger. Hopefully in future there will be something alike that doesn't have all
those problems. When I first played I thought this is the future of the whole internet, to walk around in a 3d space instead of browsing 2d flat pages with little interactivity.
The internet has a lot of growing to do.

Don't use Virwox, they are robbing you with insane fee's. The costs will be over 10% from Paypal to Bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: