Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:51:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Double spend with zero confirmations has been solved.  (Read 5849 times)
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 05:13:00 PM

I am trying to do too much often going 18 hours nonstop day after day, week after week, so perhaps there will be effects from that. You try it sometime. Someone asked me to evaluate VNL. I would have never looked. Once I invest effort, I typically need to follow through. Also since zerotime is a direct competitor to what I am working on, I became very curious to know if he has something better or equivalent.

In any case, you will know when the white papers are released whether I am legit or not. I will go quiet. Good luck again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
x0rcist

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 05:24:37 PM

I am trying to do too much often going 18 hours nonstop day after day, week after week, so perhaps there will be effects from that. You try it sometime. Someone asked me to evaluate VNL. I would have never looked. Once I invest effort, I typically need to follow through. Also since zerotime is a direct competitor to what I am working on, I became very curious to know if he has something better or equivalent.

In any case, you will know when the white papers are released whether I am legit or not. I will go quiet. Good luck again.

So for months you could not solve your own problems regarding the lightning network and after the whitepaper of ZT got released you had a bright moment and it answered all remaining questions? Anyway good luck with your project, every bright mind deserves a place in crypto land and if true i will support it like other groundbreaking coins. Also dont forget to sleep/rest it will kill the brain eventually.
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 08:29:59 PM

I know that feeling, I've been going solid on eMunie for 18 hours a day for over 2 years now and trying to keep abreast on everything that could be competition!

Seems like there's going to be a shake up around here soon, if you've solved what you claim it's going to be interesting, plus we're also gearing up to release a lot of our information on how we achieved our "holy grails" too in the next few weeks.

Interesting times ahead Smiley

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
Fuserleer
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 08:31:53 PM

So for months you could not solve your own problems regarding the lightning network and after the whitepaper of ZT got released you had a bright moment and it answered all remaining questions?

Thats the way the cookie crumbles Smiley I've had similar, some issue I've tried to solve over a long period of time, get nowhere. Decide to take a break from it and work on some other stuff instead for a while, then one day you read something/see something thats not even relevant, but it inspires a solution and BAM, problem solved.

Radix - DLT x.0

Web - http://radix.global  Forums - http://forum.radix.global Twitter - @radixdlt
traumschiff
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

180 BPM

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 08:38:14 PM

So for months you could not solve your own problems regarding the lightning network and after the whitepaper of ZT got released you had a bright moment and it answered all remaining questions?

Thats the way the cookie crumbles Smiley I've had similar, some issue I've tried to solve over a long period of time, get nowhere. Decide to take a break from it and work on some other stuff instead for a while, then one day you read something/see something thats not even relevant, but it inspires a solution and BAM, problem solved.

This isn't something that's not relevant to what he tried to code Wink

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 06:00:06 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2015, 06:28:33 AM by TPTB_need_war

How can you claim to of solved problems when the first is already solved by Vanilla coin. Vanilla coin wallet is anonomous already right? Plus it's plans are to implement anominity too. Just remember if your not done in a couple of months your not first mover in anominity either.

No I see why you attacked and got so upset at Vanilla coin....though it seems it inspired you 'solving' double spend ie you copied.  Grin

I wish VanillaCoin good luck. My confidence is well founded. I haven't copied a thing from them. I've (as AnonyMint) been working on my own stuff for 2.5 years. And there are no similarities whatsoever in our algorithms and methods. And I have stated all my logic over in the altcoin forum as to why they haven't proven theirs can work (and several other long-time experts have agreed with me). And they have released no details whatsoever on their anonymity algorithms. The chance that they discovered what I did on anonymity is about zero. Again I wish them good luck and have no desire to continue any discord with them.

When people follow you to other threads, stalking you, that is indicative of whom is the leader.

nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 07:15:38 AM

How can you claim to of solved problems when the first is already solved by Vanilla coin. Vanilla coin wallet is anonomous already right? Plus it's plans are to implement anominity too. Just remember if your not done in a couple of months your not first mover in anominity either.

No I see why you attacked and got so upset at Vanilla coin....though it seems it inspired you 'solving' double spend ie you copied.  Grin

I wish VanillaCoin good luck. My confidence is well founded. I haven't copied a thing from them. I've (as AnonyMint) been working on my own stuff for 2.5 years. And there are no similarities whatsoever in our algorithms and methods. And I have stated all my logic over in the altcoin forum as to why they haven't proven theirs can work (and several other long-time experts have agreed with me). And they have released no details whatsoever on their anonymity algorithms. The chance that they discovered what I did on anonymity is about zero. Again I wish them good luck and have no desire to continue any discord with them.

When people follow you to other threads, stalking you, that is indicative of whom is the leader.

Actually there was a question in there you failed to answer.

How can you solve a problem that's already been solved?

Bit like Tittie coin saying they invented Bitcoin....

If you succee you will be the second person to solve it......no prizes for second in crypto sadly.

And anominity, you will be like the 10th to do that too....lol

You can't keep saying you solved stuff that's already solved....makes you sound mental.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 01:30:27 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2015, 02:24:30 PM by TPTB_need_war

Reliable, complete, and fool-proof anonymity has not be solved yet by any altcoin. Instant 0-conf without double spending has not been solved by any altcoin. These facts will be explained beyond any doubt.

Again I wish you all good luck and good night.

What I see people essentially saying in this thread is that Bitcoin is autonomous. They can get access to it, spend as anonymously as they take the care to obscure their IP address, and use it without any permission or without obtaining any account with some authority. In short, permission-less commerce (do what you like, no big brother with his dick up your ass!). Most of the terms above fall under the "autonomy" umbrella taxonomy.

In my case, I don't have a utility bill matching my current address because I rent. And so I can't comply with the asinine Patriot Act KYC identification requirements that exchanges and financial institutions impose. So no worries, I just go place a buy order on localbitcoins, then go deposit some cash in a local bank and I get the BTC released an hour or so later.

Later as the bankrupted Western governments start to limit more how much money you can get out per day from your ATM account (e.g. Greece is an example of what is coming to every Western nation because they are all broke), then if you are holding crypto-currency you can sidestep these restrictions.

However, do note that Bitcoin is not reliably anonymous (unless you are for example connecting via a unregistered, public WiFi connection) as your IP address can be traced back to your identity (and Tor and I2P don't really stop the national security agencies from tracking your identity on the block chain) and so the authorities will one day in the future be clawing back against you prosecuting you for violating their regulations by using Bitcoin.

This is why I (formerly username AnonyMint since 2013) support the development of altcoins with more robust built in anonymity. Many users will not appreciate the need for this until later when so many Bitcoin users are being busted for past activity all stored on the block chain.

Ease of access, constant availability and low transaction fees are my 3 picks. This is where Bitcoin would beat by far Fiat and this is why Bitcoin will survive and be competitive in the future. My money should be there when I want it and I should be able to spend it when and how I want it.

Autonomy again. Thanks.

d0om

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 04:29:08 PM

Two days and not a single articulate counter argument.

traumschiff
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 02:38:18 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2015, 04:37:10 PM by traumschiff

@TPTB_need_war full ZeroTime code is up on VNL github and the public release is around the corner. From what John talked about on IRC yesterday, non of the issues pointed out were relevant and everything has a solution in the code even if it's not detailed in the whitepaper.

Keep writing your whitepaper, which you couldn't solve in 2 years while he pushes the full code to the live network.

statdude
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:00:44 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 05:31:00 AM by statdude

He replied to some of the accusations in IRC. I pasted the quotes on the VNL forum for those who care. I don't really consider these "basic" questions, but I agree they should have been answered outside IRC. However, I can understand not wanting to hang around Bitcointalk. The VNL forum seems the best medium.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 08:43:52 AM

You guys are aware of Dash's InstantX? Which also 'solved' this problem this problem ages ago (in a strikingly similar way, I might add).

For the record the quotes around 'solved' imply that it isn't at all solved.
traumschiff
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 09:00:49 AM

You guys are aware of Dash's InstantX? Which also 'solved' this problem this problem ages ago (in a strikingly similar way, I might add).

For the record the quotes around 'solved' imply that it isn't at all solved.

Oh, please. Strikingly? Won't even  bother responding.

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 09:22:06 AM

Oh, please. Strikingly? Won't even  bother responding.

Fair enough.

For anyone else wondering what I mean by strikingly, here are some excerpts from the dash paper:

In this paper we will introduce the masternode network as observer network, utilising a distributed consensus and locking algorithm “TX locking”

Utilizing this code, we can make a deterministic list of the Masternodes that will act as the authority for the transaction lock. These will be the same nodes across the network and they will vote on the validity of the transaction lock in question

https://www.dashpay.io/instantx/

So, we have the same transaction locking idea, a voting system for the consensus and the idea of different classes of nodes which perform this work.

For the record, instantx has exactly the same problems as zero time - sybil attack. The basic idea is that the cost of impersonating multiple different nodes is cheap / constant and once you have many such nodes at your disposal, the attack costs zero resources.

The only proven solution to sybil attack is POW.
traumschiff
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 09:42:30 AM

Oh, please. Strikingly? Won't even  bother responding.

Fair enough.

For anyone else wondering what I mean by strikingly, here are some excerpts from the dash paper:

In this paper we will introduce the masternode network as observer network, utilising a distributed consensus and locking algorithm “TX locking”

Utilizing this code, we can make a deterministic list of the Masternodes that will act as the authority for the transaction lock. These will be the same nodes across the network and they will vote on the validity of the transaction lock in question

https://www.dashpay.io/instantx/

So, we have the same transaction locking idea, a voting system for the consensus and the idea of different classes of nodes which perform this work.

For the record, instantx has exactly the same problems as zero time - sybil attack. The basic idea is that the cost of impersonating multiple different nodes is cheap / constant and once you have many such nodes at your disposal, the attack costs zero resources.

The only proven solution to sybil attack is POW.

John on sybil attacks regarding ZeroTime: https://talk.vanillacoin.net/topic/193/john-connor-irc-quotes

It may be possible to do it on InstantX, but you won't do it here.

Also please don't compare paid masternodes to random super peers. ZeroTime is fully decentralized.

Please note that the full code is available on GitHub, before trying to act professional and pasting the same attack vector that 10 people did before you (and which obviously John knows about also), do a research. Audit the code and give out your official review.

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:06:31 AM

John on sybil attacks regarding ZeroTime: https://talk.vanillacoin.net/topic/193/john-connor-irc-quotes

To be honest, this is why I don't go on IRC - these responses are rushed and barely intelligible.

Sybil attacks are not possible. Botes cannot be forged because the top K votes are used.

and then we have

In that sense vote rigging can only prevent ZT confirmations. Not Harm. However the vote rigging odds are < 2%.

So on the one hand he says you cannot rig votes, and then just below he gives a constant probability of rigging, which is what all these systems eventually come down to.

A longer chain can never become valid since the locks remain the blocks will never be accepted.

This implies that transaction locks persist forever, but this is obviously not the case, since RAM is limited.
patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:09:17 AM

For me it comes down to this:

from the whitepaper

2. Lock Race Attack

In a lock race attack the sender forms two transactions and two locks and
submits one to the merchant and the other to the rest of the network. In this
case the locks will cancel each other out and the transaction MUST wait for
block inclusion before being considered confirmed.

The attack will NOT result in a double spend but it does force the receiver to wait for 1 confirmation. So I don't see how ZT solves anything if I should prob wait for 1 confirmation just to make sure.

If the nodes are being chosen randomly - compared to instantx - then how is this not vulnderable to sybill attacks ? The more nodes I controll the more likely it becomes they are chosen. So I don't think it's random (allthough I don't see any quality assessment in the calculation of the voting score).  

I'm by no stretch an expert so could someone point out what exactly it is I'm missing ? You can hardly expect everyone having questions to go through all the code.

traumschiff
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:09:49 AM

To be honest, this is why I don't go on IRC - these responses are rushed and barely intelligible.

Sybil attacks are not possible. Botes cannot be forged because the top K votes are used.

and then we have

In that sense vote rigging can only prevent ZT confirmations. Not Harm. However the vote rigging odds are < 2%.

So on the one hand he says you cannot rig votes, and then just below he gives a constant probability of rigging, which is what all these systems eventually come down to.

A longer chain can never become valid since the locks remain the blocks will never be accepted.

This implies that transaction locks persist forever, but this is obviously not the case, since RAM is limited.

He states IF anyone could do vote rigging with tons of resources wasted all you could achieve is stopping ZeroTime transactions, thus the system waits for the default 1 confirmation.

What else do you need? There is no incentive to do harm as you can't do harm. Stopping ZT is not a harm scenario just something that is less optimal since our confirmations already take a maximum of 1.5 minutes on avg. People like you heavily misinterpret how a system like this should or could work.

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:17:59 AM

He states IF anyone could do vote rigging with tons of resources wasted all you could achieve is stopping ZeroTime transactions, thus the system waits for the default 1 confirmation.

What else do you need? There is no incentive to do harm as you can't do harm. Stopping ZT is not a harm scenario just something that is less optimal since our confirmations already take a maximum of 1.5 minutes on avg. People like you heavily misinterpret how a system like this should or could work.

That's the whole point of a sybil attack, in a system where impersonating multiple identities has zero cost (no wasted resources) you can easily have majority bad actors.

Once you have a majority of bad actors, you could easily imagine a scenario in which two different conflicting transaction locks are 'applied' because the majority of bad actors just lie to the rest of the network.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:22:16 AM

It may be possible to do it on InstantX, but you won't do it here.

Also please don't compare paid masternodes to random super peers. ZeroTime is fully decentralized.

Please note that the full code is available on GitHub, before trying to act professional and pasting the same attack vector that 10 people did before you (and which obviously John knows about also), do a research. Audit the code and give out your official review.

07:59 <@john-connor-afk> Finny is a offline attack.
08:00 <@john-connor-afk> 6 full block confirmations
08:00 <@john-connor-afk> so at least 20 mins 3.33 x 6
08:02 <@john-connor-afk> finney only applies to PoW coins in reality when you can outhash the network

It would appear that he doesn't understand what a Finney attack is:

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/4942/what-is-a-finney-attack

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Double-spending#Finney_attack
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: