Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 09:30:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU artifact, Mobo caused?  (Read 2658 times)
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:20:24 PM

Hiya guy's,

Basically for those that do not know, I have 1 rig with 2 x 5970's on, but one has been crashing intermittently, (display driver stopped responding) It was headless so I need to connect monitor and stuff on to see what was up, I seen lots of artifacts on the screen, I thought F%$£ I'm down a card, So I took it out and chucked in a 5870 after blowing out the slot for dust, When I turned on I got lots of screen jumping and flickering, So I thought it was the PCI-e slot? So after a while I took the 5870 out and swopped the 5970's over, (so back to 2x59's but swopped over) Still got flickering and stuff, But not as bad as the first one. So Basically My question is this, Does this sound like a mobo glitch or is my first card on its way out? Is there any tests to clarify my situation?

I ask mainly as I need to sell them soon and want to say if there is any fault with the card/s?
GernMiester

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:39:22 AM

All the card having an issue sounds more like a power supply or motherboard problem.
Does it happen with only 1 video card installed?
Faulty power supplies can make you think your PC is haunted. Shocked
RaTTuS

Activity: 792
Merit: 1000

Bite me

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 08:04:49 AM

that sounds more like the GPU is on it's way out ....
then again it's the same when you swap ....

if you have another machine I'd swap one of them in to see that it boots up OK...  but I'm guessing that it's effectively dead for windows [not always for mining though]

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:04:33 PM

Well so far when I switched over the cards, It's been mining sweet, only nearly a day, But the artifacts normally came up straight away.
I will play a little more and update later, Just when I hear about artifacts, Normally card is on a downward slope, I have never herd of a PCI-e slot causing artifacts, In responce to PSU, I have a 5month old cougar 700w silver 85+ psu and kill-a-watt read it to 580-590w so I really cant imagine it to be that, But not ruling it out.
QuantumFoam

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

|Quantum|World's First Cloud Management Platform

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 09:36:40 PM

It wouldn't hurt to check your power supply voltage levels under load. It would at least eliminate that as a cause for the problem. If you're on a linux machine you can apt-get install lm-sensors to install the lm-sensors package which will display the various PSU voltages. I'm sure there are tons of free windows utilities which will work too, but I don't run windows on my mining rig.

|Quantum|World's First Cloud Management Platform on the Blockchain
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:56:55 PM

Sorry to be off topic, why does every other post have a signature advertising bASIC devices? I just came from a thread on sapphire 5870 fan and there were 2 more posts there spamming bASIC. Are they offering free bASIC devices if you put their spam in your sig?

squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 08:27:28 PM

It wouldn't hurt to check your power supply voltage levels under load. It would at least eliminate that as a cause for the problem. If you're on a linux machine you can apt-get install lm-sensors to install the lm-sensors package which will display the various PSU voltages. I'm sure there are tons of free windows utilities which will work too, but I don't run windows on my mining rig.

Hiya, I am using a windows machine, There are lots of voltage monitors/tweeker programmes But all seem to be mobo linked, I cant see any problems there, All the 12v 5v and 3.3v are looking good, Well it's mining away, Just keep going I suppose.
kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 11:30:24 PM

Sorry to be off topic, why does every other post have a signature advertising bASIC devices? I just came from a thread on sapphire 5870 fan and there were 2 more posts there spamming bASIC. Are they offering free bASIC devices if you put their spam in your sig?

They're giving away an FPGA, the modminer quad. Guessing this is because nobody is ordering their FPGA products since there is no concrete evidence that an upgrade-to-ASIC program is being offered. Still, free low wattage hashing gear that can be repurposed is pretty sweet. /sorryforhelpinghijackthethread
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: