Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:00:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for Discussion: proposal for standard modular rack miner  (Read 9601 times)
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2015, 01:02:20 AM

Ah, okay. I see what you're saying on the power backplane.
Chip addressing shouldn't really be an issue how I see it, since each board would enumerate as its own device in cgminer if they were USB-connected. No one board should overlap with another. Or are you thinking a multiplexer on each board that talks to each node independently?

It would work if certain boards could be fabricated as one single form factor, with just a "parent" board with USB logic and the rest just plain old chip addressing. This would be just an option for a given manufacturer, so no need to enforce it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2522

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 03:05:15 PM

a bit late in the game but - on packaging...
The rack mount format is great for aesthetics but -- most farms just place the miners on industrial shelving eg. https://bitcoinnewsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/hashnest.png Just tossing that reminder out there.

On bolting blades to the bottom of case: Will they be pan heads recessed in stamped dimples or tapered heads going into tapered holes? Can't have screw heads scrathing whatever is under the miner...

For a mfg standpoint I'd use stamped dimples. Many (most?) sheet metal fabricators have presses/laser cutters that can do the blanking/dimpling/louvers/cutting all on the 1 machine. Dimples will of course raise the blades higher by around .125" or so...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 03:47:09 PM

I had assumed a flathead screw in countersunk hole. If we go dimple recessing, there should still be plenty of clearance between the cards and the top of the case.

I know a lot of folks shelf miners, but there's not really a good reason to make it not rack-mountable just in case.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Spotswood

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2015, 12:11:47 AM

It would be nice if a blade had a mounting hole in each corner and that the total height of a blade was at least 13-15mm less than 4U (or whatever "U" you decide on), so that buyers could mount blades in the grooves of slotted extrusion, etc.  Cheesy

-Rich

Full disclosure: I used to design and build open-air cases for most of the custom mining boards, and I miss it terribly.   Cry

EDIT:  What are the dimensions of a S1 board?

Witrebel

Activity: 116
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 10:32:18 PM

Quick update,  I am back stateside on dry land.  Haven't gotten a chance to model the latest version but to recap what I think I am still missing:

Remove the panel from over the hashing space, leaving only a small section towards the back to promote laminar flow.
Decrease the width of the sidepocket to 1" and rework the heatsink sizes to match
Add dimples and verify that the clearance is still good above cards, im thinking 0.125" dimples?

I was able to get access to a license of COMSOL with a good selection of modules, so now its just a matter of familiarizing myself with this enviorment and getting the models imported correctly etc.  I hope to have some results inside of two weeks, ideally much sooner.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2522

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 10:45:19 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2015, 11:09:00 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Cool. I'm on the COSMOL and also Mentor Graphics email lists so am very familiar with their offerings but so far have not needed to actually use them. Common-sense and Industrial usage overkill which assumes worst-case to rather be the norm suffices Tongue

Schneider Electric is another with most focus on heat flow in the rooms (data center cooling) and power distribution. Witrebel, sent ya a pm re Schneider and yer Venezuela project.

Anywho, if you have access to a seat in any of them then most excellent.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2015, 11:43:22 PM

[...]
Schneider Electric is another with most focus on heat flow in the rooms (data center cooling) and power distribution. Witrebel, sent ya a pm re Schneider and yer Venezuela project.
[...]

Hehehe.... my country Wink Btw, Schenider electric has its offices near my city, if anyone needs directions, ask away.

Btw, i know the case is going to have a mainly fan cooling design, and it would be cool if it would be possible to also add mounting option for ducts, so one could direct the airflow outside the case more easily.

Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 01:39:42 AM

Full disclosure: I used to design and build open-air cases for most of the custom mining boards, and I miss it terribly.   Cry

Yes, miss your work.  Gone are the day of open air cases, there's just too much heat generated by asic chips.  But keep thinking of
converting your talents to new products.
Spotswood

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2015, 02:07:38 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2015, 02:19:09 AM by Spotswood

Full disclosure: I used to design and build open-air cases for most of the custom mining boards, and I miss it terribly.   Cry

Yes, miss your work.  Gone are the day of open air cases, there's just too much heat generated by asic chips.  But keep thinking of
converting your talents to new products.

Yes, I understand that open-air cases no longer work with today's asics and I've expanded to building fully enclosed cases, for example:

http://www.spotswoodcomputercases.com/images/frames/5slotcase/5slotwCompletedTopLeftAngle-640.JPG

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  

Jump to: