Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:45:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is ETH centralized or decentralized?  (Read 2517 times)
benthach (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 12:16:38 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2015, 01:58:53 AM by benthach

now come to my other question, is ethoream centralized or decentralized? decentralized mean everything is pack/store into a blockchain and wallet, if the data was to store somewhere else then this meant it's centralized. also the ETH app(dapp) centralized or decentralized?
can someone answer me a bit. i still don't understand much about this. thanks

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
benthach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 07:45:05 AM

is ETH store everything on it wallet and blockchain or it have to depend on a centrallized machines somewhere else?
i guessed no one can answer me anything, it's all about trading and no one really know crap about ETH.

i think if ETH and ETH dapp is centralized then it should be worth nothing. third party company like coinbase or blockchain should easily build contract and app around bitcoin, even little kid using java can build contract around bitcoin as third party. java is free! i guessed i will have to look into this if ETH and ETH dapp is centralized or decentralized.

KhalDrago

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 01:15:37 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2015, 01:25:53 PM by KhalDrago

It's not your business since according to your signature you are only into old coins..which 99.9% of them are just a btc copy and won't go anywhere.
K210

Activity: 1568
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 04:29:45 PM

It's not your business since according to your signature you are only into old coins..which 99.9% of them are just a btc copy and won't go anywhere.

Funny its how the "old coins" which have the largest marketcaps and highest prices. 95% of the coins created after 2013 are shit. Back in 2011 - 2013 there were a lot less scam coins now almost every coins is a scam/useless/pump and dump coin.
K210

Activity: 1568
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 04:32:09 PM

is ETH store everything on it wallet and blockchain or it have to depend on a centrallized machines somewhere else?
i guessed no one can answer me anything, it's all about trading and no one really know crap about ETH.

i think if ETH and ETH dapp is centralized then it should be worth nothing. third party company like coinbase or blockchain should easily build contract and app around bitcoin, even little kid using java can build contract around bitcoin as third party. java is free! i guessed i will have to look into this if ETH and ETH dapp is centralized or decentralized.

Whether ether if centralised or decentralised i personally dont like the way ether was launched, to this day there isnt a proper announcement page for ether with total coins, algo, pools and other stuff, devs who dont get paid actually do a better job in my opinion.   
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 06:03:19 PM

Whether ether if centralised or decentralised i personally dont like the way ether was launched, to this day there isnt a proper announcement page for ether with total coins, algo, pools and other stuff, devs who dont get paid actually do a better job in my opinion.  

This is my problem as well. I hear all the great things about ETH and I am indeed intrigued, but when I go and try to find hard concrete evidence I come up empty. One of the biggest claims being thrown around rather loosely is the IBM and Samsung association.

The only thing I have found so far to back this up is a link on the bottom of ETH homepage with the IBM logo, but instead of going to a IBM or Samsung site, it instead points to a third party: https://www.theprotocol.tv/adept-demo-ibm-samsung/.

This article then references ADEPT, the Autonomous Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Telemetry project and provides a link to: http://ibm.biz/devicedemocracy. Searching this document yields no results for Ethereum.

I then search IBM's main site using the search function at the top of the page, and I do get three results. Two look like some type of support issues not really relevant upon reading them, but the first one is interesting, it is titled: Device democracy Saving the future of the Internet of Things, so I go read the pdf to investigate further. http://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/gb/en/gbe03620usen/GBE03620USEN.PDF

I search the pdf for Ethereum, and the only thing I can find is the footnote at the bottom:

“A Next-Generation Smart Contract and Decentralized Application Platform.” GitHub:
ethereum/wiki.
https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/%5BEnglish%5D-White-Paper
Accessed on August 29, 2014

So I look through the pdf to find the referenced quote and I find this:

Why blockchains work for the IoT
A technology breakthrough that has fundamentally changed our notions of centralized authority,
the blockchain is a universal digital ledger that functions at the heart of decentralized financial
systems such as Bitcoin, and increasingly, many other decentralized systems.

The blockchain holds a record of every transaction made by every participant. Cryptography
is used to verify transactions and keep information on the blockchain private. Many participants
verify each transaction, providing highly redundant verification and are rewarded for the
computational work required. By confirming transactions using decentralized consensus,
the blockchain eliminates the need for trust.

While the blockchain may carry regulatory and economic risk as a long-term store of value
(as in the case of Bitcoin), it can be quite revolutionary as a transaction processing tool.

In our vision of a decentralized IoT, the blockchain is the framework facilitating transaction
processing and coordination among interacting devices. Each manages its own roles and
behavior, resulting in an “Internet of Decentralized, Autonomous Things” – and thus the
democratization of the digital world (see Figure 5).

I highlighted in red the portion referencing footnote 15, the one referring to Ethereum. As you can see, they talk more about Bitcoin, and make just a passing reference to how the block chain can be used for a transaction processing tool which then refers to the Ethereum wiki page.

Well long story short, call me a bit underwhelmed by this support by IBM.

Maybe I am missing more relevant discussion or links, and if so please point them out. As I said before I am interested, but have yet to find any solid evidence to support all the claims.
benthach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 04:07:30 PM

This is my problem as well. I hear all the great things about ETH and I am indeed intrigued, but when I go and try to find hard concrete evidence I come up empty. One of the biggest claims being thrown around rather loosely is the IBM and Samsung association.

The only thing I have found so far to back this up is a link on the bottom of ETH homepage with the IBM logo, but instead of going to a IBM or Samsung site, it instead points to a third party: https://www.theprotocol.tv/adept-demo-ibm-samsung/.

This article then references ADEPT, the Autonomous Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Telemetry project and provides a link to: http://ibm.biz/devicedemocracy. Searching this document yields no results for Ethereum.

I then search IBM's main site using the search function at the top of the page, and I do get three results. Two look like some type of support issues not really relevant upon reading them, but the first one is interesting, it is titled: Device democracy Saving the future of the Internet of Things, so I go read the pdf to investigate further. http://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/gb/en/gbe03620usen/GBE03620USEN.PDF

I search the pdf for Ethereum, and the only thing I can find is the footnote at the bottom:

“A Next-Generation Smart Contract and Decentralized Application Platform.” GitHub:
ethereum/wiki.

A technology breakthrough that has fundamentally changed our notions of centralized authority,
the blockchain is a universal digital ledger that functions at the heart of decentralized financial

The blockchain holds a record of every transaction made by every participant. Cryptography
is used to verify transactions and keep information on the blockchain private. Many participants
verify each transaction, providing highly redundant verification and are rewarded for the
computational work required. By confirming transactions using decentralized consensus,

While the blockchain may carry regulatory and economic risk as a long-term store of value
(as in the case of Bitcoin), it can be quite revolutionary as a transaction processing tool.

In our vision of a decentralized IoT, the blockchain is the framework facilitating transaction
processing and coordination among interacting devices. Each manages its own roles and
behavior, resulting in an “Internet of Decentralized, Autonomous Things” – and thus the

I highlighted in red the portion referencing footnote 15, the one referring to Ethereum. As you can see, they talk more about Bitcoin, and make just a passing reference to how the block chain can be used for a transaction processing tool which then refers to the Ethereum wiki page.

Maybe I am missing more relevant discussion or links, and if so please point them out. As I said before I am interested, but have yet to find any solid evidence to support all the claims.

https://www.theprotocol.tv/adept-demo-ibm-samsung/
here is ibm adept video, they talk about bitcoin, bittorent and ethoream. i don't see any ethoream in action in this video, i believed none of the demo in this video is using any ethoream coding. people would need to pay ethoream to use washer machine and to use remote control which can achieve with a simple java coding. i see this is probably the reason why the head of ibm adept is already gone. at this point ethoream is just pure HYPE. eth is basically still a vaporware at this point and it would take years before they can prove anything.

Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:23:17 PM

here is ibm adept video, they talk about bitcoin, bittorent and ethoream. i don't see any ethoream in action in this video, i believed none of the demo in this video is using any ethoream coding. people would need to pay ethoream to use washer machine and to use remote control which can achieve with a simple java coding. i see this is probably the reason why the head of ibm adept is already gone. at this point ethoream is just pure HYPE. eth is basically still a vaporware at this point and it would take years before they can prove anything.

Thanks. I watched the video and found much the same as in the articles, just a passing reference to Ethereum mainly used as illustrative examples, not warranting the hype coming from some in the ETH community.
fartbags
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 11:09:47 PM

decentralized! It's just like bitcoin but new and improved.

altcoinUK

Activity: 784

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 11:34:47 PM

ethereum/wiki.

No, you are not missing anything, you are absolutely right. We discuss this in more details at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=854280.msg12155725#msg12155725

That conversation refers to the same draft that you have quoted.

Dire

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Crypto-Games.net: DICE and SLOT

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:53:40 AM

ethereum/wiki.

Nice research. I agree with you, once you start trying to find out hard facts about Ethereum, they kind of disappear into the... well, ether. It's the nature of the beast I suppose.

Either that or you'll read contradictory points with no one laying down hard rules/plans.

I really want to like Ether, but at the moment it's a bit too ethereal for my liking.
fartbags
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:11:29 AM

ethereum/wiki.

Nice research. I agree with you, once you start trying to find out hard facts about Ethereum, they kind of disappear into the... well, ether. It's the nature of the beast I suppose.

Either that or you'll read contradictory points with no one laying down hard rules/plans.

I really want to like Ether, but at the moment it's a bit too ethereal for my liking.

I'm researching Ethereum clones. It looks like there will be some out soon. Ethereum tech is way better than bitcoin tech.

stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 09:28:14 AM

Ethereum is more decentralised after 2 weeks than Bitcoin was after 2 years.

The FUD I have had to read while enjoying my 5 day ban has been bad for my blood pressure. I want to reach through the screen and grab benthach by his scrawny little neck and just squeeze until his eyes roll back in his head.

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
dukeneptun
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:32:11 AM

Who said Ethereum is decentralized? I've never seen somebody say that. It's a pump & dump project which is running by 18 year old kid.
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 09:35:14 AM

Who said Ethereum is decentralized? I've never seen somebody say that. It's a pump & dump project which is running by 18 year old kid.

It is more decentralised than any other altcoin after Bitcoin and litecoin.  There are more and more miner mining Ethereum. 

Vitalik buterin may be a 20 year old but his brain is obviously worth a million of your shitty scamcoin promoters brains.

<-- Click here!
dukeneptun
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:37:27 AM

It is more decentralised than any other altcoin after Bitcoin and litecoin.  There are more and more miner mining Ethereum. 

Vitalik buterin may be a 20 year old but his brain is obviously worth a million of your shitty scamcoin promoters brains.

First of all you can't mine Ethereum.
Secondly who's shitty scamcoin promoter here? I think it's you because you try to promote a scam coin. I only support Bitcoin. All other coins are just for pump & dump.
stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 09:45:29 AM

First of all you can't mine Ethereum.
Secondly who's shitty scamcoin promoter here? I think it's you because you try to promote a scam coin. I only support Bitcoin. All other coins are just for pump & dump.

You CAN mine ether.  There are thousands doing so.  Go away and do some research you ill informed FUDster.

<-- Click here!
benthach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 12:39:59 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2015, 01:01:15 PM by benthach

The FUD I have had to read while enjoying my 5 day ban has been bad for my blood pressure. I want to reach through the screen and grab benthach by his scrawny little neck and just squeeze until his eyes roll back in his head.

eth is more decentralized after 2 weeks because no one can really use it, it's just decentralized in your head. eth is still a vaporware with centralized command line and will stay like this for many more years before they can prove anything, by then the devs(scammers) and everyone is moving on, which already happened. the price will drift to nothing, your last chance of getting rich with crypto will reduced to nothing.

stoat

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 01:17:59 PM

eth is more decentralized after 2 weeks because no one can really use it, it's just decentralized in your head. eth is still a vaporware with centralized command line and will stay like this for many more years before they can prove anything, by then the devs(scammers) and everyone is moving on, which already happened. the price will drift to nothing, your last chance of getting rich with crypto will reduced to nothing.

After reading this post I don't actually think you even know how computers work.

<-- Click here!
benthach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 02:33:47 PM

After reading this post I don't actually think you even know how computers work.

at this point eth can't be use for anything beside trading and speculation

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: