Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:06:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gary Johnson Debates Obama and Romney Live  (Read 3653 times)
Topazan

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 04:04:32 AM

That's what I've read.  It certainly reduces the spoiler effect, greatly, but since one candidate can knock another one to a lower level, there's still the potential for similar candidates to inadvertently sabotage each other.

I don't have a full understanding of the math involved, but that's what I read.  One of these days I need to run some simulations of my own.

You know, I wonder what effect approval voting would have on parties.  One of the functions of parties in the current system, the primaries, would be rendered unnecessary.

Save the last bitcoin for me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 04:56:59 AM

That's what I've read.  It certainly reduces the spoiler effect, greatly, but since one candidate can knock another one to a lower level, there's still the potential for similar candidates to inadvertently sabotage each other.

I don't have a full understanding of the math involved, but that's what I read.  One of these days I need to run some simulations of my own.

You know, I wonder what effect approval voting would have on parties.  One of the functions of parties in the current system, the primaries, would be rendered unnecessary.

I'm sure it would mean that campaigns were more positive than negative since it would be more advantageous to make sure your own views and opinions got out there than to spend time and money tearing down a dozen other candidates.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 09:56:29 PM

I'm sure it would mean that campaigns were more positive than negative since it would be more advantageous to make sure your own views and opinions got out there than to spend time and money tearing down a dozen other candidates.

approval voting woudln't help that

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Topazan

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 10:12:34 PM

Why wouldn't it?

On the matter of parties, what I was wondering is whether or not primary voting would still be necessary.  There would be no disadvantage to one party running multiple candidates.  There could be both party-wide campaigning (vote for a member of our party) and individual campaigning (vote for me specifically).  Then again, I suppose they would still need to come to some agreement about which group of candidates they endorse.

Save the last bitcoin for me!
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 11:48:56 PM

I don't know. I'm glad you do.

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 11:57:19 PM

On the matter of parties, what I was wondering is whether or not primary voting would still be necessary.  There would be no disadvantage to one party running multiple candidates.  There could be both party-wide campaigning (vote for a member of our party) and individual campaigning (vote for me specifically).  Then again, I suppose they would still need to come to some agreement about which group of candidates they endorse.

With any luck, it might loosen the hold the parties have on the candidates.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:13:37 AM

With any luck, it might loosen the hold the parties have on the candidates.

that it would do

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: