Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:04:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paraguayan 11-year-old gives birth after pregnancy sparked abortion debate  (Read 530 times)
zenitzz (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:34:47 AM

Though neither the girl nor her daughter experienced health complications during delivery, activists refuse to excuse authorities for human rights violation

An 11-year old girl who became pregnant after being raped by her stepfather and was denied an abortion by Paraguayan authorities has given birth, in the culmination of a case which put renewed focus on Latin America’s strict anti-abortion laws.

The girl, known by the legal pseudonym “Mainumby”, gave birth to a girl weighing 3.55kg (7.8lbs) at the Reina Sofia maternity hospital, a facility run by the Red Cross in Asunción, Paraguay’s capital. The baby was delivered by Caesarean section as a natural birth was judged to be too dangerous.

Neither the mother nor the child are reported to have experienced any health complications. “It was like any other Caesarean, but with the age difference,” Reina Sofia Director Mario Villalba told local radio. “She’s well and progressing like in any other surgery, but we’ll see afterwards how she gets on as a mother.”

Erika Guevara, Americas director at Amnesty International, said in a statement that Mainumby was “lucky to be alive”, adding that “only time will tell the true extent of the physical and psychological consequences of her tragic ordeal”.

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/13/paraguay-11-year-old-gives-birth-abortion
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:58:08 AM

She was denied permission to abort.
Catholic country only allows abortion if pregnancy is ‘life-threatening’

This should be the first to change. Lunatics shouldn't be allowed to frame laws depending on their religious beliefs.
If it was somebody rich, I guess she would have just flown out of the country to take care of it.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 12:22:23 PM

Even if the pregnancy is deemed life threatening, only rarely the permission is granted. Take the case of Ireland. A non-Catholic Indian expat died in 2012 (Savita Halappanavar) after the authorities refused to issue a permission for abortion. It was known to everyone that she would die if the permission was not granted, but the Catholic church refused to stand down.

After her death, the Catholics all over the world rushed to defend the actions of their church, including those in India.
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:35:29 PM

Oh shit!
Det's naaasty!
What makes it better is that it's for Jesus!
As pedobear loves to say, old enough to count, old enough to mount!

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:27:07 PM

The day we stop using religion as a excuse to push such backwards thinking will be a day I hope we all become more connected to one another.
The human need to believe in something bigger than ones self will dominate longer than my life or most likely the next 3-5 generations.

We should have full control over our own bodies and in doing so the choice to bring life into this world.  This girl had little choice and will look to her child in a way that will remind her of those moments that where painful and she would rather forget. The child in turn will feel unloved or worse find out how they where conceived. That aspect could have many different reactions.

Really do not want to beat on religion but it is tiring to look at history and how much has been done in the name of. Time for a new world.
mariding

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:36:09 PM

This should be the first to change. Lunatics shouldn't be allowed to frame laws depending on their religious beliefs.
If it was somebody rich, I guess she would have just flown out of the country to take care of it.

Don't all women risk their lives when giving birth? Specially in those third world countries? I mean, their Maternal mortality ratio is 110 for every 100,000 live births. that's 5 times what it is in the US. Ether way, the best way to stop abortions are education, easily accessible birth control, proper sexual education courses, and proper healthcare for women. Banning it... well, we've seen how some black markets work. Abortion is no different. I'll see if I can find a really interesting documentary I once saw about clandestine abortions.
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:46:08 PM

Education will only go so far when you have societal differences,we are talking about areas that still have killings over people being witches.

I recently listened to two podcasts,one was Tim Ferris and the Wired magazine founder,slips my mind his name. The latter was talking about depopulation being a issue in the future due to one child policies in China and other Countries dropping off in births for different reasons.
Funny part was listening to a podcast the day before talking about the population explosion and how GMOs are going to be necessary for us to all eat.
This podcast mentioned a population explosion and stated 7-8 billion people and most of those new humans coming from Africa.  If he is anywhere near
close we have a huge issue to squeeze off before it explodes. Guess it kind of already is bubbling up in Europe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: