Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:10:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is Forking  (Read 5280 times)
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 07:45:54 PM

How do Hearn and Andresen profit from promoting Bitcoin XT? The fact that a full release of Bitcoin XT is now available does not mean Chinese miners will adopt; the large mining pool owners have already publicly stated they are against Bitcoin XT.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3a0n4m/why_upgrade_to_8mb_but_not_20mb/

TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

I agree. Bitcoin is forking awesome  Grin
cryptothreads (OP)

Activity: 1274
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 07:47:40 PM

Satoshis thoughts on it ?
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010238.html
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 07:51:29 PM

Or maybe someone else who stuck the Satoshi name on a random post. I think the odds of that being the case are just a teensy weensy bit higher.
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 07:51:47 PM

Very probably just an imposter (not using the original email address), but nevertheless good thoughts.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
cryptothreads (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 07:53:47 PM

Very probably just an imposter (not using the original email address), but nevertheless good thoughts.

satoshi at vistomail.com

same email address as his first post to the email list:
http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/2008-October/014810.html
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:03:14 PM

Well we need to put this block size debate behind us. No consensus has been reached for a while now and there is not one on a horizon, so they have just let the community decide. I see nothing wrong with this. The longer this debate lasts, worse it is for whole Bitcoin ecosystem.
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:07:45 PM

Lol you really believe that hahhahahha go google : satoshi " I'm not Dorian"

kekek

Activity: 177

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:07:56 PM

Simple solution is to let the majority decide. At this point the few developers who continue to go against the current of miners and users should back off with their tail between their legs so that the people can make their choice and get this debate over with.

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:08:28 PM

Well we need to put this block size debate behind us. No consensus has been reached for a while now and there is not one on a horizon, so they have just let the community decide. I see nothing wrong with this. The longer this debate lasts, worse it is for whole Bitcoin ecosystem.

Yepp this is my opinion as well. This blocksize debate is kind of a never ending story. And the longer we see no progress the more stagnant we will get. This is pretty frustrating.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:10:01 PM

Yepp this is my opinion as well. This blocksize debate is kind of a never ending story. And the longer we see no progress the more stagnant we will get. This is pretty frustrating.

That's why bitcoin is forking and moving forward.

meono

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:10:05 PM

The fact that they even use such dirty tactic shows their plan is exposed ( Lighting Network) , the next thing to save their integrity is to resign from bitcoin core project.

What a disgrace
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:23:14 PM

Right. And I support it!!
Bigger blocks are inevitable. And right now with that number of users the network right has we should use this chance before next wave of adoption will happen.
cryptothreads (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:27:50 PM

Bigger blocks are inevitable. And right now with that number of users the network right has we should use this chance before next wave of adoption will happen.

I agree. Now litigation threats ? This whole debate is no good for Bitcoin.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:29:27 PM

The debate is over now. It's time to act and fork.

goosoodude

Activity: 584

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:37:22 PM

Bitcoin evolution into something better (or the incentive to make it better) will rise questions and sparkle debates until the end of the time, because if you don't
debate and change it when it's needed, bitcoin will eventually become obsolete.

The most important thing is for us to remain civilized about it, and any other outstanding problem, so that we don't kill bitcoin by dividing it into xyz forks and therefore cripple it for everyone. Our strength should be in numbers that are rising constantly, rather than decreasing.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:40:30 PM

The most important thing is for us to remain civilized about it, and any other outstanding problem, so that we don't kill bitcoin by dividing it into xyz forks and therefore cripple it for everyone. Our strength should be in numbers that are rising constantly, rather than decreasing.

It's still small enough for a modest number of individuals to have massive sway. There's enough money in it right now for their best interests to  overrule the system's.

That's a pretty toxic combo. Whatever fork there may be it's better to get it over and done with rapidly.
cryptothreads (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:02:20 PM

That's a pretty toxic combo. Whatever fork there may be it's better to get it over and done with rapidly.

Power over money are both very toxic things this is true. The quicker we move forward the better IHMO.

edit: ELI5 on this subject for people:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1153730.msg12150667#msg12150667
RealMalatesta
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:02:39 PM

*multisnip*

The debate was going on for a long time. So now, Bitcoin XT (what a crappy name, btw) is out of the box. So it is basically up to the active users to decide. That's an electronic form of democracy. If anybody wants to sue them because they give users a choice, I'd say: Let the guys who want to file a lawsuit do this.

And I totally disagree: The debate is good for Bitcoin. Most of the normal users won't even realise that something's going on. They simply don't care. They want to make their transactions, smoothly and cheap.

Of course a lot of people will use this debate to jump an their (bankers) chairs and cheer: "See, Bitcoin is dead". So what? Not the first time, not the last time.

As I said: Let the users decide.
bccenter

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:21:52 PM

I made a quick chart to keep track of Bitcoin XT adoption over time

http://www.blockchaincenter.de/

The chart will get updated daily at noon (GMT).
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: