Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:15:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts regarding "satoshis" post today on the mailing list?  (Read 5697 times)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 11:07:55 AM

account was hacked and mail was without his PNG key.

Hoax.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 11:36:55 AM

Hoax or not it has a good point in what he write. And for the history satoshi was never sign a message. And here a tech analysis of this email

http://pastebin.com/Ct5M8fa2

Are you still sure that this is fake?

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 01:10:58 PM

http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010238.html

Is it legit?
Was this the same email address that was hacked a while ago?
If you think it was him/her/they, why didn't he PGP sign this message?

I don't think this is legit, and if he really wanted to give his opinion, don't you think he would anticipate people not believing into this message and because of this, he would have singed this message.

And spare me of that BS how Satoshi never signed his messages, this is way to important and I don't see anybody would expect that community acts on this unsigned message.
coinableS (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 03:32:29 PM

Is it legit?

I don't think this is legit, and if he really wanted to give his opinion, don't you think he would anticipate people not believing into this message and because of this, he would have singed this message.

And spare me of that BS how Satoshi never signed his messages, this is way to important and I don't see anybody would expect that community acts on this unsigned message.

I don't think it is him because I don't think he would get himself involved in the blocksize debate.
Bitcoin is an experiment to him and he needs to see if it can work without centralized interference.

What is very interesting though is the email address, do we have any records of his vistomail being hacked or ever used before like this? It seems unlikely that a hacker gained access to his email to only post this and not try any other schemes with access to such an important email address.

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:30:29 PM

Is it legit?

I don't think it is him because I don't think he would get himself involved in the blocksize debate.
Bitcoin is an experiment to him and he needs to see if it can work without centralized interference.

What is very interesting though is the email address, do we have any records of his vistomail being hacked or ever used before like this? It seems unlikely that a hacker gained access to his email to only post this and not try any other schemes with access to such an important email address.

Well seeing as his email address satoshin@gmx.com was hacked, then we haveto assume that the vistomail one was too. Maybe the gmx.com email address was setup as a "recovery email address" for the vistomail account, so when the hacker compromised the gmx account he was also able to compromise the vistomail one via "forgot password".

If Satoshi were to ever return, he would provide significant proof that it is him with signed messages etc.

coinableS (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 04:42:17 PM

Is it legit?

Well seeing as his email address satoshin@gmx.com was hacked, then we haveto assume that the vistomail one was too. Maybe the gmx.com email address was setup as a "recovery email address" for the vistomail account, so when the hacker compromised the gmx account he was also able to compromise the vistomail one via "forgot password".

If Satoshi were to ever return, he would provide significant proof that it is him with signed messages etc.

So the hacker just held onto the vistomail account for over a year and decided yesterday after Mike's article on medium.com was the perfect time to execute his attack of a post to the mailing list? Wouldn't the hacker rather try to profit by posting it for sale, or leaking old messages, etc.?

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:48:58 PM

So the hacker just held onto the vistomail account for over a year and decided yesterday after Mike's article on medium.com was the perfect time to execute his attack of a post to the mailing list? Wouldn't the hacker rather try to profit by posting it for sale, or leaking old messages, etc.?

I don't know. When he hacked the gmx.com account the first thing he did was send an email to theymos with the message "Michael, send me some coins or I'll hitman you". Theymos immediately reportred that the account was probably hacked. So he doesn't sound like the smartest hacker to me, he blew that opportunity big time. The recent email looks like it was written by a high school student. Who knows what he's thinking really, perhaps he's trying to troll us.

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 04:57:27 PM

I don't know. When he hacked the gmx.com account the first thing he did was send an email to theymos with the message "Michael, send me some coins or I'll hitman you". Theymos immediately reportred that the account was probably hacked. So he doesn't sound like the smartest hacker to me, he blew that opportunity big time. The recent email looks like it was written by a high school student. Who knows what he's thinking really, perhaps he's trying to troll us.
It is also possible that the vistomail account was terminated and the hacker was able to register the email again like how the gmx hacker worked. The vistomail was also a lesser known account so the hacker may not have known that it existed.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:53:47 PM

Considering the non-malicious nature of the email and the writing style I believe it is Satoshi. If someone stole satoshi's identity they would do something way more extreme than debate blocksize. It's good to be skeptical but also good not to dismiss this sort've thing outright.

For example?
cryptothreads

Activity: 1274
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:56:03 PM

Considering the non-malicious nature of the email and the writing style I believe it is Satoshi. If someone stole satoshi's identity they would do something way more extreme than debate blocksize. It's good to be skeptical but also good not to dismiss this sort've thing outright.

For example?

He does sort of have a point. On the flip-side I would say why not discuss it with the Mike Hearn and Gavin offline though ?
coinableS (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 06:00:27 PM

For example?

He does sort of have a point. On the flip-side I would say why not discuss it with the Mike Hearn and Gavin offline though ?

What if he is?
I haven't heard much from Gavin or Mike since the alleged satoshi email...

stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:03:57 PM

Satoshi wouldn't actually need to write any words to express a negative opinion about recent developments.

All he'd need to do is dump a few thousand BTC from one of his known wallets. 
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:07:47 PM

Satoshi wouldn't actually need to write any words to express a negative opinion about recent developments.

All he'd need to do is dump a few thousand BTC from one of his known wallets. 

Why should he dump his bitcoin? What if he lost his keys? It is not so easy like you think. A msg signed from his PGP key would be enough.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:12:41 PM

Hoax.
I wonder what are the chances that his PNG key got hacked as well somehow, and stolen. IT would be terrible. Imagine if someone was in control of the key (btw isn't it PGP and not PNG?)
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:15:11 PM

Hoax.
I wonder what are the chances that his PNG key got hacked as well somehow, and stolen. IT would be terrible. Imagine if someone was in control of the key (btw isn't it PGP and not PNG?)

Yes, it is PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) key and not PNG, probably a typo mistake.
chek2fire
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:04:26 PM

It has no logic for a hacker to use this email only to take part in a blockchain debate with bitcoin developers.. Tongue come on guys why are you so blind?

chek2fire
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:08:31 PM

I think Satoshi all of this years has never leave this community and i am very sure that he is still here with his alt account.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:27:34 PM

It has no logic for a hacker to use this email only to take part in a blockchain debate with bitcoin developers.. Tongue come on guys why are you so blind?

You haven't noticed the insane amount of trolling on here? Impersonating Satoshi is the ultimate angle for someone who wants to stir things up for whatever reason.
chek2fire
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:37:49 PM

You haven't noticed the insane amount of trolling on here? Impersonating Satoshi is the ultimate angle for someone who wants to stir things up for whatever reason.

i am not trolling and this is my opinion. If you think that everyone that has other opinion than you is a troll then you are a facist.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:49:31 PM

i am not trolling and this is my opinion. If you think that everyone that has other opinion than you is a troll then you are a facist.

I'm not calling you a troll. I'm saying that a nefarious player's ultimate weapon in Bitcoinland would be to impersonate Satoshi. That's far, far more likely than Satoshi turning up after years of silence. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: