Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 10:14:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox and Intersango no longer accepting UK bank transfers  (Read 2546 times)
Lukasdag (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 09:42:45 AM

Hi guys just looking for an alternative that is relatively cheap. Depositing into Mt.Gox's Japan account would cost me around £25 in fees, this isn't ideal I don't tend to buy BTC in large amounts.
SuperHakka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:35:14 AM

Best for you is to open up Blockchain wallet and use their PingIt service (mobile app for Barclays/Lloyds). They charge 0.97% fees total and prices are usually closely connected with best price at Mt Gox at the time. There is a maximum limit of £250 per week. I have used it a couple of times and it's fine.

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:05:14 PM

Best for you is to open up Blockchain wallet and use their PingIt service (mobile app for Barclays/Lloyds). They charge 0.97% fees total and prices are usually closely connected with best price at Mt Gox at the time. There is a maximum limit of £250 per week. I have used it a couple of times and it's fine.

In a couple days it will be fine again, but BlockChain.info depleted funds and is waiting for the services's operator to return from vacation:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113388.msg1242299#msg1242299
 - https://blockchain.info/wallet/deposit-pingit

You can also send cash (GBP) in the mail to Bitcoin Nordic (in Denmark):
 - http://www.BitcoinNordic.com

And, or course, there may be a chance for a local trade:
 - http://www.LocalBitcoins.com

Also, BitInstant now has a method:

For Bitcoin in the UK, BitInstant just released an online bank transfer system. This has not been publicly announced yet, but it works, and is very fast.  

On BitInstant.com, select your UK flag (You can see many other countries are available for this as well), then select Online Bank Transfer and go through the process. You can have the funds converted automatically into BTC and sent to your Bitcoin account, so you don't even need to bother with any exchanges. Fee is 3.49% if over $100 worth, and 3.99% if under.

EDIT: note that these bank transfer payments are nearly instant (matter of minutes). It does not take 1-3 days like most bank transfers. It's pretty baller, actually Wink

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Lukasdag (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 01:24:36 PM

Thanks for the replies I think I'll wait for BlockChain to sort itself out then.

I did try the new bitinstant method but it requested banking login details and passwords, I'm not comfortable giving any company, no matter how reputable that kind of information.

I'm really hoping Mt Gox's UK account comes back on-line. Does anyone know any more information on why it has gone down, their site just says their account has been frozen. It looked like Intersango went down at around the same time (I'm not sure which bank they used), do we think there's some sort of banking policy/politics reason for it. From what I've read banks don't seem to be too support of the currency.

SuperHakka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 04:31:01 PM

Intersango used Metro Bank and Mt Gox used Barclays. By the way, people should know that even though there are quite a few ways to convert GBP to BTC, you should always keep an eye on the spread these methods charge you as well as bank transfer charges. BitInstant charge like nearly 4% for converting your cash for you while Blockchain only charge you 0.97%. The cheapest I've ever done it is 0.6% at Mt Gox but that was when they had a UK bank account open (into which GBP transfer was free).

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 02:59:48 PM

You can also use - https://www.bitinstant.com/# - in the UK now.

beergut100

Activity: 8

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 11:48:48 AM

You can also use - https://www.bitinstant.com/# - in the UK now.
BitInstant is not working for UK deposits ATM.
trebornay27

Activity: 18

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:40:56 PM

What about SEPA transfers for intersango - do these take a lot longer than UK transfers?
davout
Legendary

Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 03:02:02 PM

Bitcoin-Central.net has now opened a GBP market.

GBP deposits are absolutely free, you wire 100 GBP, you get credited 100 GBP.
GBP withdrawals incur a 0.99 GBP fee.

The trade fee is 0.498% which is cheaper than *any* other alternative.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 03:03:51 PM

Except for the massive spread.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 03:06:45 PM

We can't do anything about this chicken and egg problem, the free market will take care of that.
The spread will automatically reduce when people start submitting orders and doing arbitrage.

We offer lower fees, and, I believe, a much more professionnal service, so IMHO there is no really no reason that some GBP trading volume moves our way.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 03:09:14 PM

Do you like the spread better now ? Smiley

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 03:12:38 PM

Sure it's not your fault.

I will give it a shot when I have some free time.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 03:14:28 PM

Please do. If you contribute to providing liquidity and give us some volume we'll definitely cut you a nice deal on the trading fee.

xifer

Activity: 23

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 03:17:34 PM

Also looking to buy bitcoins in the UK.  Irritating not being able to messageon here yet.  be nice to get a message from alwaysmining
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 09:28:00 PM

Please do. If you contribute to providing liquidity and give us some volume we'll definitely cut you a nice deal on the trading fee.

Just tried now, and my bank charges a fee of 10GBP for international payments (your bank is in France, not in the UK).

I think I'm going to pass.

bennett211085

Activity: 29

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 12:33:39 PM

Also looking to buy bitcoins in the UK.  Irritating not being able to messageon here yet.  be nice to get a message from alwaysmining

Same reason I joined... Wink
xifer

Activity: 23

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 12:57:26 PM

lot of it about.

Does anyone have any insight into the exact nature of the problems intersango and mtgox etc have with UK bank accounts?

Is it pressure from the authorities re bitcoins in particular or AML in general?  Or technical?
mintcoin

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 07:10:40 AM

lot of it about.

Does anyone have any insight into the exact nature of the problems intersango and mtgox etc have with UK bank accounts?

Is it pressure from the authorities re bitcoins in particular or AML in general?  Or technical?

Probably lots of transactions to a few accounts in a short period of time would lead to a block by the heuristics.

Might be the authorities as well - Silk etc etc.
WH401

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:25:27 PM

lot of it about.

Probably lots of transactions to a few accounts in a short period of time would lead to a block by the heuristics.

Might be the authorities as well - Silk etc etc.

Sucks that this is effecting all of the UK btc users, pretty damn unfair
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: