Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:55:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My doubt about signing bitcoin sign message.  (Read 2953 times)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 01:03:15 PM

If you ever get your account hacked or if you want to sell it then you need to prove that you are the real owner of that account and you are no hacker. Otherwise it would be hard to reclaim your account.

If you sign a message you post publicly then make sure that you include event details. Not that someone takes your general signature and makes trouble.

1st thing , I am not gonna sell my one and only one account which helps me to earn my pocket money.  I am dreaming to be a legendary member on bitcointalk forum. And as you said about the security issue of my account , I will set the secret question and answers with a strong password for my account safety.

This is good thing to set up the password strongly and use different pass for every site.

But i think stake your address is good backup to your account, if someday you haven't being active om this forum, and bad thing happen to your account. because you can easily sign message with your account.
letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 01:34:11 PM

If you ever get your account hacked or if you want to sell it then you need to prove that you are the real owner of that account and you are no hacker. Otherwise it would be hard to reclaim your account.

If you sign a message you post publicly then make sure that you include event details. Not that someone takes your general signature and makes trouble.

1st thing , I am not gonna sell my one and only one account which helps me to earn my pocket money.  I am dreaming to be a legendary member on bitcointalk forum. And as you said about the security issue of my account , I will set the secret question and answers with a strong password for my account safety.

This is good thing to set up the password strongly and use different pass for every site.

But i think stake your address is good backup to your account, if someday you haven't being active om this forum, and bad thing happen to your account. because you can easily sign message with your account.

May i know, what is the procedure of staking my old address. Do i have to just submit the old address or i have to provide the private key along with it too which i don't have it now .?

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
███████████████████████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
..CPLAY - IDO.████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
   O N E   E C O S Y S T E M   F O R   A L L 
Y O U R   C R Y P T O   N E E D S
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 10:20:42 PM

You should not use the secret question since the encryption of the answer is not that strong. The forum will warn you about that too.

Yes, you can create a strong password. But that is not the only way to hack an account. I think not a few accounts get hacked because the email address attached gets hacked. At least it sounds to me after reading not a few stories about hacked accounts whose password were reset by email.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 10:24:22 PM

May i know, what is the procedure of staking my old address. Do i have to just submit the old address or i have to provide the private key along with it too which i don't have it now .?

No, never ever post your private key. If you do then everyone can control your address that private key belongs to.

You can use this thread to stake your address. Simply post a bitcoin address that you control, that you won't lose and backed up and from which you can get the private key: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.new#new

About how signing a message works. Here is a good explaination: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345

letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 01:34:03 AM

You should not use the secret question since the encryption of the answer is not that strong. The forum will warn you about that too.

Yes, you can create a strong password. But that is not the only way to hack an account. I think not a few accounts get hacked because the email address attached gets hacked. At least it sounds to me after reading not a few stories about hacked accounts whose password were reset by email.

Buddy ,  my email account cannot be hacked in anyway. Bcoz,  2nd factor  authentication is activated on it. If I gave you my email account login details too , you need my mobile phone and mobile number to use the verification code to get my account access.

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
Ceizer54

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 01:40:01 AM

Simple
Export the address with its private key from your wallet(the one you forget password)
Import the private key in new wallet
That's it
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 12:38:15 PM

For stake your addres here, you can find a thread on meta section.
don't provide your private key, just your old wallet which you can sign message with.

Hacker nowadays is became more smart.
letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 01:12:19 PM

don't provide your private key, just your old wallet which you can sign message with.

I cannot sign my old btc address which I lost recently.

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2015, 03:38:01 PM

Buddy ,  my email account cannot be hacked in anyway. Bcoz,  2nd factor  authentication is activated on it. If I gave you my email account login details too , you need my mobile phone and mobile number to use the verification code to get my account access.

That is actually a good email provider then. Though you should not feel too safe with 2FA. It might be hard to hack it but with a poor implementation it might be possible for a hacker to circumvent your account. Hacking doesn't always mean knowing the password. It might mean not needing such things too.

At the end... i don't see a reason why NOT adding another layer of security. It surely can't hurt when you are cautious and back up your private keys.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2015, 03:39:49 PM

Did you post that old address? If not then it doesn't matter. A posted bitcoin address only would help you when it was posted some months ago in an unedited post. The older the better since it raises the chance that the account was not hacked because the real owner would have found out about that most probably in the meanwhile.

letyouearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

That is actually a good email provider then. Though you should not feel too safe with 2FA. It might be hard to hack it but with a poor implementation it might be possible for a hacker to circumvent your account. Hacking doesn't always mean knowing the password. It might mean not needing such things too.

At the end... i don't see a reason why NOT adding another layer of security. It surely can't hurt when you are cautious and back up your private keys.

Buddy, whenever someone will tries to sign in to my gmail account. I will receive the verification call everytime on my Mobile number which is owned by me only. If the hacker don't have my mobile phone, how he will get the verification code and will enter to my account ? its not possible.

░░▄▄███▄▄
██████████
████
█████░░░░
██████████▄▄██████▄▄
████
█████████▀▀███████
██████████████░░░░░████
████
█████████▄▄███████
█████
█████████████████
█▀▀
████
███▀▀███████▀▀
████
░░░░░████▀
███████▄▄▄▀▀

░░▀▀███▀▀
A P P   S T O R E
W A L L E T
A D S T A T I O N
2 F A   S H I E L D
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:04:54 AM

No need old btc address, you just need an address which you used now, and for the future if your account got bad thing. you just sign message which have been stake.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 01:31:49 PM

Buddy, whenever someone will tries to sign in to my gmail account. I will receive the verification call everytime on my Mobile number which is owned by me only. If the hacker don't have my mobile phone, how he will get the verification code and will enter to my account ? its not possible.

The notification email is a good thing that adds additional security.

Regarding the 2FA. You feel safe because no one can get the codes. But what i wanted to tell you is that hackers might not need the code. Only a part of hacks happen because the details are known to be able to login. Many hacks happen because of serverissues, errors in code and so on. Then it might not matter if the hacker does not have the code. He does not need it to check out your emails. Maybe he got a direct database access or something. Then you trusting on 2FA would be a hollow trust.

It might be unlikely that this happens with gmail but still. Things like that happen all the time. You should not feel too safe only because your 2FA.

I think i will leave it now at this. Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: