Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:32:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential obstacles for mass adoption of BTC  (Read 3892 times)
Evolvex

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:32:27 PM

i already thought of rebranding bitcoin.. but it still wont stop hackers, frauds and illegal drugs/ fake Id transactions from tainting the views of the normal world of business and consumers when seeing bitcoin.

u can rename a spade a shovel.. but its still gonna look dirty if u use it..

thus a different crypto would be the only solution to a full rebrand for mass adoption.

rebranding and switching to a different crypto are non-starters. Even if you made it an exact clone (to tap into existing hardware) you'd never get adoption and the two would just fight each other. Not to mention losing all bitcoin's name recognition and momentum.

We need to make a bulletproof hardware device that's so easy anyone can use it (aka it won't confuse iphone users). I would be best if it were sleek, stylish and well designed. And it should require proof of life as a second factor, so nobody can steal it shoot you and still use it.

I can see why switching to a different crypto is a none starter - but not rebranding, maybe we need to loose the bitcoin name recognition!

The momentum wouldnt stop, people who know about it and use it now will know the new name and thus continue to use it, the general public who haven't heard of it yet (but more than likely heard something about some funny internet money that got hacked, this stuff sits in peoples consciousness, there, but not enough to recall) will learn it by the new brand, something that doesnt confuse the hell of them. How many times are you met with utter confusion when you try and explain bitcoin "but how do computers make money" "who gives it the value" - calling something a coin that is not actually a coin, it just the first mental trip wire that goes on in peoples heads (in my opinion, based on nothing but my own view point,observations and life experiences)

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet"

Also, I think a rebranding project might actually run better than a lot of big companies do, I mean, its open source, shit gets done when everyone chips in.
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 12:56:57 AM

I can see why switching to a different crypto is a none starter - but not rebranding, maybe we need to loose the bitcoin name recognition!

The momentum wouldnt stop, people who know about it and use it now will know the new name and thus continue to use it, the general public who haven't heard of it yet (but more than likely heard something about some funny internet money that got hacked, this stuff sits in peoples consciousness, there, but not enough to recall) will learn it by the new brand, something that doesnt confuse the hell of them. How many times are you met with utter confusion when you try and explain bitcoin "but how do computers make money" "who gives it the value" - calling something a coin that is not actually a coin, it just the first mental trip wire that goes on in peoples heads (in my opinion, based on nothing but my own view point,observations and life experiences)

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet"

Also, I think a rebranding project might actually run better than a lot of big companies do, I mean, its open source, shit gets done when everyone chips in.

I think any publicity is good at this point... the time table for mainstream adoption isn't quick. We're talking at the very least a couple of years (more likely 5 or 10). So while publicity from sr and ponzi schemes seems bad right now... if a few year or 5 or 10... then it becomes an asset to bitcoin, because the network and the community survived it. just my opinion tho.

If you do start a rebranding campaign - that's an epic undertaking, you've have to get pretty much everyone on-board with that or it wouldn't stick.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: