Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:15:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the financial gain for Mike and Gavin coming from ?  (Read 1634 times)
rscholey (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:33:08 PM

Just from what I read it would appear that many people consider Mike and Gavin are forking bitcoin not for the benefit of bitcoin but for their own personal benefit. All this leads me to wonder how Mike and Gavin will benefit from the XT fork. Would love to hear some of the experts here give their opinions because up until now I have really not heard anyone supporting the fork.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Eastfist

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 03:36:02 PM

Government grants. Hearn is also the son of a wealthy Google investor, so a lot of his ego-tripping is daddy issues. Gavin gets a salary is administrator and also getting paid via grants for research and such. It's A LOT OF MONEY.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:46:00 PM

Government grants. Hearn is also the son of a wealthy Google investor, so a lot of his ego-tripping is daddy issues. Gavin gets a salary is administrator and also getting paid via grants for research and such. It's A LOT OF MONEY.

So, you believe that a government and a Google shareholder are behind their push for a higher maximum block size?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Eastfist

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 03:50:06 PM

So, you believe that a government and a Google shareholder are behind their push for a higher maximum block size?

I only know from the past. I don't know how it's changed since though. But that's how Gavin was paying us (and himself) back then, with grant money. So I'm going to assume it's still their main source of funding.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:51:00 PM

not to mention being one of the early bitcoin instaminers Gavin scored atleast one $25 million USD windfall i know of Shocked as well as gaining 260k + a year from the bitcoin foundation of awhile......so yeah good to see we've got an alternative to those greedy bankers  Huh

well thats the past but too the future

ummm cough gemini  Wink
rscholey (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:51:46 PM

Anyone care to estimate what percentage of core developers are for this move and what percentage are against this move?
Eastfist

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 03:52:49 PM

not to mention being one of the early bitcoin instaminers Gavin scored atleast one $25 million USD windfall i know of Shocked as well as gaining 260k + a year from the bitcoin foundation of awhile......so yeah good to see we've got an alternative to those greedy bankers  Huh

And technically it's not illegal because it's govt grant money. He and Jon Matonis know all the legal loopholes and stuff so they fully exploit that to stuff their pockets. That's why they are so overzealous about the project.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 03:54:37 PM

The financial gain is that bitcoin can live up to its promise  Smiley

a free and open blockchain. a blockchain everyone has access to, world wide, small and big transactions, every usecase you can imagine, uncensored, nearly free transaction costs for everyone in the world! and for that we need bigger blocks.

i guess everyone should support bigger blocks  Smiley

@rscholey

2vs4 or something like that. most agree about an increase but they dont find consensus.

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:00:58 PM

I only know from the past. I don't know how it's changed since though. But that's how Gavin was paying us (and himself) back then, with grant money. So I'm going to assume it's still their main source of funding.

Gavin gets paid by the Bitcoin Foundation who in turn got paid by their sponsors. What grant are you talking about? first time I ever heard of it, can I get one too?

Mike Hearn was a senior engineer at Google and co-owns a number of anti-spam patents with Google. Google lets certain employee's spend 20% of their time working on any project they want, Mike choose Bitcoin as his project in 2011. He quit his job in 2012/2013 to work on Bitcoin fulltime and is now paid by the Bitcoin Foundation, significantly less than what he was paid at Google.

Thats not to say there isn't a financial gain. This change could have impacts on mining revenue, it's hard to know for sure whether they have a financial reason for doing it. I think their reason is probably desperation but also a grab for more control over Bitcoin, the blocksizelimit does need to be changed but not via the insanely dangerous way they are attempting.

Eastfist

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 04:03:13 PM

Gavin gets paid by the Bitcoin Foundation who in turn got paid by their sponsors. What grant are you talking about? first time I ever heard of it, can I get one too?

Mike Hearn was a senior engineer at Google and co-owns a number of anti-spam patents with Google. Google lets certain employee's spend 20% of their time working on any project they want, Mike choose Bitcoin as his project in 2011. He quit his job in 2012/2013 to work on Bitcoin fulltime and is now paid by the Bitcoin Foundation, significantly less than what he was paid at Google.

Thats not to say there isn't a financial gain. This change could have impacts on mining revenue, it's hard to know for sure whether they have a financial reason for doing it. I think their reason is probably desperation but also a grab for more control over Bitcoin, the blocksizelimit does need to be changed but not via the insanely dangerous way they are attempting.

I recall him mentioning something about computer science research grants. That's why he had to annoint himself as "Chief Scientist" at Bitcoin Foundation, otherwise wouldn't qualify for it.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 04:04:47 PM

...most agree about an increase but they dont find consensus.

Agree, it seems like most are in agreement that the block sizes has to increase but as you mention, the problem is to find some consensus on how this should be done.

Would like to see a dynamic solution that will adapt to actual usage instead of just a scale based on where 'we' think bitcoin transactions are heading or where they will be in x years
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:09:38 PM

I recall him mentioning something about computer science research grants. That's why he had to annoint himself as "Chief Scientist" at Bitcoin Foundation, otherwise wouldn't qualify for it.

He became "Chief Bitcoin Scientist" after he handed his old role of "Lead developer" of Bitcoin Core over to Wladimir Van Der Laan.  Though it's possible the bitcoin foundation gets some grants, I searched and couldn't find any info.

Eastfist

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 04:12:22 PM

He became "Chief Bitcoin Scientist" after he handed his old role of "Lead developer" of Bitcoin Core over to Wladimir Van Der Laan.  Though it's possible the bitcoin foundation gets some grants, I searched and couldn't find any info.

It was mainly funded by grants and donations in the very beginning. Matonis had his connections too.
balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 12:57:15 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 01:11:04 AM by balu2

Anyone care to estimate what percentage of core developers are for this move and what percentage are against this move?

Only Mike and Gavin support it. Some core devs could compromise with the sockpuppet-duo while around 50% of core devs don't like the proposal at all. Because the Gavincoin proposal has so small support and no consensus they need to release their XT shitcoin outside of core in the first place. Do you think we would be subject to such a populist social media opinion-manipulation-campaign if Gavincoin was the goood shit or something? Gavincoin is an attack on bitcoin core for a hostile takeover, nothing more and nothing less. And everyone actually knows this including Mike and Gavin. Why do you think Gavin would submit no BIP until like only some weeks ago?

This is not the "blocksize debate" this is "the ego and penis size debate" for bitcoin...

meono

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 01:03:13 AM

OP hopefully by reading this thread you will see the BS from these anti-XT retards  Roll Eyes
TheMage

Activity: 812

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 01:27:15 AM

As far as I know, the Bitcoin Foundation no longer pays for core development. However, MIT does (if I remember correctly) pay for 3 salaries, one of which includes Gavin.

I've never heard anything about government grants, if someone has information on it I would love to know.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 03:25:31 AM

a free and open blockchain. a blockchain everyone has access to, world wide, small and big transactions, every usecase you can imagine, uncensored, nearly free transaction costs for everyone in the world! and for that we need bigger blocks.

@rscholey

2vs4 or something like that. most agree about an increase but they dont find consensus.
I think most of us support bigger blocks, though not by forking.
This should be added to core.

TheMage

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 03:57:17 AM

@rscholey

I think most of us support bigger blocks, though not by forking.
This should be added to core.

Bigger block, regardless of how it happens or what size, will need to happen via a fork.

And let me be very frank here. Coming from someone who has organized not just one, but multiple forks logistically with Litecoin and Dogecoin I can tell you its not all doom and gloom as people have claimed it to be. It's a pain in the ass, but not the end of the world. I'm one of a few people within cryptos who have experience in doing this.

Hell I'll state right now that I will personally help with the fork when it happens for Bitcoin.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:23:56 AM

Bigger block, regardless of how it happens or what size, will need to happen via a fork.

And let me be very frank here. Coming from someone who has organized not just one, but multiple forks logistically with Litecoin and Dogecoin I can tell you its not all doom and gloom as people have claimed it to be. It's a pain in the ass, but not the end of the world. I'm one of a few people within cryptos who have experience in doing this.

Hell I'll state right now that I will personally help with the fork when it happens for Bitcoin.

Nice to have someone with experience.
Can you tell us a bit about the issues you faced? Particularly what can go badly wrong.
TheMage

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:12:02 AM

Nice to have someone with experience.
Can you tell us a bit about the issues you faced? Particularly what can go badly wrong.

The largest issue I have personally have run into is communication. Specifically,either conformation from entities that they agree to the confirm to the new protocol or language issues. Language issues can be resolved with the addition of translators if available (which in Bitcoins case I cant imagine is that hard). In terms of the agreement is a little more difficult, and usually involves more "harassment" of said entity. Finding email addresses of entities is also a large pain point as well.

In any case, I would imagine it would be easier to upgrade bitcoin to a fork, but only if certain entities are supportive of it. For example, if BIP100 were to be the one that gets forked, it would be easier to send emails and CC TBF so those who receive the message know its serious. In cryptos, those who hold leadership positions in the ecosystem are the ones who influence the fork (yes I know its counter to decentralization, but thats another discussion) .

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: