Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:20:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Classifying Bitcoin As a Financial Asset  (Read 560 times)
Paleus (OP)

Activity: 284
Merit: 122

www.diginomics.com

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 05:24:54 PM

IT’S A CURRENCY… IT’S A COMMODITY… NO, IT’S CRYPTOCURRENCY

Cryptocurrency is a financial asset in a class of its own. In truth, it is a combination of all the aforementioned traditional assets: currency, commodity, and stock.

Cryptocurrency is not exclusively a currency because, as is with the bitcoin payment system, it represents a paradigm shift in our concept of money – one where there is no division between currency and the system which it flows through. Furthermore, the current rate of volatility of bitcoin makes it unsuitable as a sound form of money, although it has the potential to act as an remarkable monetary tool as stabilization continues to take effect.

Cryptocurrency is also not exclusively a commodity. In comparison to gold, bitcoin shares many characteristics of scarcity and indestructibility. However, it gains the potent attributes of perfect divisibility and high portability. Bitcoin may accurately be considered a form of digital gold.

Read the Full Article on Diginomics

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:46:44 PM

Bitcoin can be anything yo want.
Do you want a currency? it is a currency, you can exchange it for good and services.
An asset? you can treat it as a stock.
A savings fund? you can hold big term like gold.
Etc..
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 05:54:48 PM

And this is the reason why its so confusing for many.

Many want to put bitcoin into a certain 'box' but bitcoin is not to be placed inside a specific box.

DaddyMonsi
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 05:57:18 PM

well at least bitcoin can help me boost my financial assets
but then again this is why bitcoin is unique in its own way
its unregulated yet one can purchase using it
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:01:39 PM

I don't agree with the article that bitcoin is a stock, a share of ownership in this decentrailsed autonomous corporation. A real stock is a share of a company who has a business model and pays dividend. Bitcoin has no business model, do not make profits, and pays no dividend. Bitcoin is a very liquid commodity which functions like a currency.
Paleus (OP)

Activity: 284
Merit: 122

www.diginomics.com

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 07:26:02 PM

I don't agree with the article that bitcoin is a stock, a share of ownership in this decentrailsed autonomous corporation. A real stock is a share of a company who has a business model and pays dividend. Bitcoin has no business model, do not make profits, and pays no dividend. Bitcoin is a very liquid commodity which functions like a currency.

Bitcoin pays dividends in the capital gains of each unit of currency.

The business model is a trustless, electronic payment system.

PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 09:24:41 PM

Capital gains are not dividends. Dividends are shares of profits from the company. Capital gains are profit or loss only from the sale of the shares.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 09:59:14 PM

I think I share your opinion. The problem with Bitcoin is that it purpose is evolving, therefore we can call it many things. In the future in the world of mass adoption we will call it currency, now it is still asset and capital investment.
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:52:16 AM

Capital gains are not dividends. Dividends are shares of profits from the company. Capital gains are profit or loss only from the sale of the shares.

business model:
capital gain = profit = price (now) - price(when i bought it)
dividend = d/dt (price)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: