Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:46:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Bitcoin XT  (Read 21847 times)
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 02:42:17 PM

As far as I can see the argument is already over if the anti-XT crowd feels it is so certain to lose any fair contest that it will resort to tactics like this.

If these tactics affect the contest, the contest didn't have fairness built in.  Back to the drawing board for the mercantile mercenaries.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:00:58 PM

Please tell me guys this XT crap will go away and die.

I dont want to see my money evaporating because some morons that want to divide & conquer , sabotage, bitcoin.

I hope the rest of the devs and supporters figure it out that this XT will just destroy bitcoin.

MbccompanyX

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:34:18 PM

I dont want to see my money evaporating because some morons that want to divide & conquer , sabotage, bitcoin.

I hope the rest of the devs and supporters figure it out that this XT will just destroy bitcoin.

Maybe XT wasn't created to help bitcoin but to destroy it? If Coinmarketcap data is correct, on 7 days bitcoin lost 15% of the value... Somebody needs to stop this fight before all the altcoins and bitcoin itself will be considered dead or with zero value!

RealBitcoin

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:36:23 PM

Maybe XT wasn't created to help bitcoin but to destroy it? If Coinmarketcap data is correct, on 7 days bitcoin lost 15% of the value... Somebody needs to stop this fight before all the altcoins and bitcoin itself will be considered dead or with zero value!

Indeed, bitcoin might have been infiltrated by dark forces, who use the good old D & C tactics to sabotage it.

And since the community is not very united in it's goal, it is likely to succeed. People are always following their own incentives and cannot unite, not even in front of danger.

MbccompanyX

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:42:07 PM

Indeed, bitcoin might have been infiltrated by dark forces, who use the good old D & C tactics to sabotage it.

And since the community is not very united in it's goal, it is likely to succeed. People are always following their own incentives and cannot unite, not even in front of danger.

But anyway, i think that who is running all this is for sure somebody that hates bitcoin because if wanted to made something good it could made another bubble and not this non stop drop that i still have problems to see how actually happens, anyway i noticed that not only bitcoin got the XT version but even litecoin, if you go to altcoincalendar is visible that a coin called Litecoin XT was launched (Maybe same dev, group or some random guy who wants to join the demolition of bitcoin)

Bagatell

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:51:34 PM

What interesting times we live in.

https://www.altcoincalendar.info/coins/1816-LXT
MbccompanyX

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:57:21 PM

Yeah, if the crisis made from Bitcoin XT continues, even more people will start making XT version of every altcoin that exist only to made more price drops. Is possible that both dev teams doesn't try to find something in common? if it continues who knows what will happen... For now i don't know what to do about my original bitcoins, maybe i will invest them on some coin that are still green (for Coinmarketcap there are almost 50 that are on positive). Anyway the fact of Litecoin XT is that only 200 coins are public, for sure is just a random guy that wanted his\her piece of cake on this disaster.

RealBitcoin

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:59:01 PM

But anyway, i think that who is running all this is for sure somebody that hates bitcoin because if wanted to made something good it could made another bubble and not this non stop drop that i still have problems to see how actually happens, anyway i noticed that not only bitcoin got the XT version but even litecoin, if you go to altcoincalendar is visible that a coin called Litecoin XT was launched (Maybe same dev, group or some random guy who wants to join the demolition of bitcoin)

Well I`m not a tech person, but even I can tell that if a new altchain is created that needs mining, will split the mining eventually.

A more friendly solution with internal paying like XAPO, Coinbase, Bitpay, etc could be achieved for small TX. Yet they insist with forking the protocol which is bullshit.

I also think that increasing the block size is also much better.

RealBitcoin

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 08:00:49 PM

Yeah, if the crisis made from Bitcoin XT continues, even more people will start making XT version of every altcoin that exist only to made more price drops. Is possible that both dev teams doesn't try to find something in common? if it continues who knows what will happen... For now i don't know what to do about my original bitcoins, maybe i will invest them on some coin that are still green (for Coinmarketcap there are almost 50 that are on positive). Anyway the fact of Litecoin XT is that only 200 coins are public, for sure is just a random guy that wanted his\her piece of cake on this disaster.

I dont know there is about at 80% correlation between all altcoins vs bitcoin.

So if bitcoin goes to 0 then all altcoins will more or less follow. Although I already know a few safe and innovative altcoins that dont need XT, i dont really want to lose Bitcoin, as i consider it the only real currency so far.

basil00

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 03:22:39 AM

Currently at least ~20% of XT nodes are PseudoNodes.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 03:36:22 AM

Angry  As far as I can see the argument is already over if the anti-XT crowd feels it is so certain to lose any fair contest that it will resort to tactics like this.   Cry

If these tactics affect the contest, the contest didn't have fairness built in.  Back to the drawing board for the mercantile mercenaries.

CRYddit knows that, he's just ATM too butthurt to concede such a fair (and obvious) point of fact.   Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 03:38:05 AM

This XT crap will go away and die.  It's already dead (or, thanks to NotXT, in a Schroedinger superposition of dead-alive) but hasn't stopped moving yet.  Enjoy the lulz this zombie fork provides while it lasts.  We'll look back and laugh at the XT Menace, someday.   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:24:44 AM

If we reach the point with Bitcoin Core where we have small blocks that are all full, the price of bitcoin is also going to drop. At least XT has an actual, working solution for moving forward.
MbccompanyX

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:54:39 AM

Wait, i can't follow you now, 20% of the XT nodes aren't real or are from the same pc? in this case XT is full of people on despair....

RealBitcoin

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 06:36:41 AM

If we reach the point with Bitcoin Core where we have small blocks that are all full, the price of bitcoin is also going to drop. At least XT has an actual, working solution for moving forward.

Why would the price drop if the blockssize increases (or even if it becomes full).

A high velocity of money (tons of transactions) is indicative of high demand for money, thus the price increase is correlated with the transaction volume.

Bitcoin`s price has no way but to rise longterm.

basil00

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 08:28:19 AM

Wait, i can't follow you now, 20% of the XT nodes aren't real or are from the same pc?

Yep, for a short time 20% (peaked at ~30%) of all XT nodes were really PseudoNodes.  These nodes were controlled by one person, who has since switched them off.  See the link for more details.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 08:42:51 AM

Wait, i can't follow you now, 20% of the XT nodes aren't real or are from the same pc?

Yep, for a short time 20% (peaked at ~30%) of all XT nodes were really PseudoNodes.  These nodes were controlled by one person, who has since switched them off.  See the link for more details.

Thanks for this, you found a combination of words I've been looking for.

P2P means that the network should only get stronger as long as people are using contributing nodes.

Some people believe the last stage of Access-Verify-Amplify is "better left to the so called power user."   Roll Eyes

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 09:09:53 AM

The whining conspiracy fudsters and sidecoiners need new arguments, because there is choice now:

"This XT patch is literally and only BIP101 integrated in Core. It already exist and you are free to run it as we speak."
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1159727.msg12216801#msg12216801
painlord2k

Activity: 453
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 02:08:22 PM

But then what happens if a lot of xt miners are also producing blocks to the point that the forked chain had enough halshpower to survive?
That's the point.

You can't REALLY know how much power is in each side BEFORE the fork, only AFTER the fork.

What will happen if we get that 75% of blocks were mined with those bits setted but, in reality, the hashpower is 49.3% and 50.7%. Goodbye Bitcoin.

This fork COULD BE a mess, maybe not, but could be in the scenario that I'm describing. This is REALLY necessary?, it is too much risk mate. We should stay with Bitcoin Core and make a new version of it, not building ANOTHER client to fork the blockchain.

In fact not.

If the network split in half the hashpower over the two branches,  the confirmation times double for both.
The transactions would be the same (apart for the new coins mined) on both chains.
The problem would be for the 1MB, because if the mean blocksize was 500KB before the fork, it now would be > 1 MB after. For both.
Larger the mean block size before the fork, worse the effect on the 1MB branch.

Now, one chain would be able to confirm all transactions anyway. The other would not.
Immediately there would be a backlog of transactions in the 1MB branch but not in the 8 MB branch.
This would last about 4 weeks before resetting the difficulty.

I assume, due to uncertainty, exchanges and payment processors would not process any coin not present in both branches.
So you would have miners starving for 2 or more weeks at least or until one brach die out and all are mining on the surviving branch.

The asymmetry would force payment processors and exchanges to rely more and more to the 8 MB branch, because it confirm valid transactions faster.
Not only, they would need to pay less fees for transactions on the fastest and more on the slower (I assume they would be forced, for compatibility, to try to spend the same amount on both).

If a SPAM attack (or "stress test") happened at the time, the 1 MB chain will choke under an enormous backlog and increasing fee to have a transaction confirmed in a short time.
Effectively, an attacker could have a large transaction (to itself) confirmed in the 8MB branch but not in the 1MB branch (use a really small or no fee at all). Then send out a large quantity of transactions on the 1MB branch (they would be invalid in the 8MB branch and dropped immediately) clogging the 1MB nodes and forcing 1MB users to pay more to have their transactions confirmed faster.

This scenario explain the reasons waiting to implement the BIP 101 or any other increase of the blocksize or any WORKING method to increase the transactions volume will end making a stronger case for implementing the BIP 101 or some other increase.
As the mean block size increase approaching 800 KB,  payment processors and exchanges will increasingly pressure miners to support a block increase and will reduce their requirements to support the winning branch. They could start pricing the coins from blocks supporting BIP 101 (or whatever) differently than the default blocks.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 03:01:17 PM

But then what happens if a lot of xt miners are also producing blocks to the point that the forked chain had enough halshpower to survive?
That's the point.

You can't REALLY know how much power is in each side BEFORE the fork, only AFTER the fork.

What will happen if we get that 75% of blocks were mined with those bits setted but, in reality, the hashpower is 49.3% and 50.7%. Goodbye Bitcoin.

This fork COULD BE a mess, maybe not, but could be in the scenario that I'm describing. This is REALLY necessary?, it is too much risk mate. We should stay with Bitcoin Core and make a new version of it, not building ANOTHER client to fork the blockchain.

In fact not.

If the network split in half the hashpower over the two branches,  the confirmation times double for both.
The transactions would be the same (apart for the new coins mined) on both chains.
The problem would be for the 1MB, because if the mean blocksize was 500KB before the fork, it now would be > 1 MB after. For both.
Larger the mean block size before the fork, worse the effect on the 1MB branch.

Now, one chain would be able to confirm all transactions anyway. The other would not.
Immediately there would be a backlog of transactions in the 1MB branch but not in the 8 MB branch.
This would last about 4 weeks before resetting the difficulty.

This is where a good dynamic scheme, implemented in Core to the XT fork schedule, could provide a solution.

Your scenario would play out oppositely, the 8 MB chain could end up overwhelmed with all sorts of attacks, while the dynamically sized chain would scale above 8 MB to handle it.

Vires in numeris
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: