Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:17:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Core developers: we want bigger blocks  (Read 4181 times)
The Bitcoin Co-op
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 07:20:16 AM

It's going to have to fork to allow bigger blocks, eventually. That's pretty much inevitable. What is the value in delaying it? Wouldn't the fork be more damaging in the future, when there are more nodes and investors on the line?

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:29:15 AM

It's going to have to fork to allow bigger blocks, eventually. That's pretty much inevitable. What is the value in delaying it? Wouldn't the fork be more damaging in the future, when there are more nodes and investors on the line?

they think they can find a better solution in a few months time-frame, i believe that if this is the case they should've worked for those solution long way before, now it's too late we need to build immedaitely a solution

or maybe some of them want that those changes are implemented directly in bitcoin core and not in an "alternative client"
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:10:54 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to hardcode a minimum fee of 0.0001 to avoid spamming, rather than dividing the Bitcoin community with a fork?

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
agath

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:20:32 AM

I support large blocks. There should not be any limit, miners choose which transactions to include in their mined blocks with the fees they like more. This is free market, and healthy competition. Bitcoin must not be controlled by a small group of developers. I am switching to XT until Bitcoin Core will support larger blocks. Keep up the great work, Gavin & c.

Fiat money is already controlled by a small selected group of people, if you like fiat money stick to 1 Mb blocks. If you like bitcoin, you should all upgrade to XT.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:26:25 AM

I support large blocks. There should not be any limit, miners choose which transactions to include in their mined blocks with the fees they like more. This is free market, and healthy competition. Bitcoin must not be controlled by a small group of developers. I am switching to XT until Bitcoin Core will support larger blocks. Keep up the great work, Gavin & c.

Fiat money is already controlled by a small selected group of people, if you like fiat money stick to 1 Mb blocks. If you like bitcoin, you should all upgrade to XT.

Uhm.. I support bigger blocks too. But what you are saying doesn't add up: XT has a single commiter, while Core has at least five.

agath

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:28:06 AM

Uhm.. I support bigger blocks too. But what you are saying doesn't add up: XT has a single commiter, while Core has at least five.

XT is Core with larger blocks.

Core has 5 committers, XT 6.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 10:36:21 AM

+1 :-)

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
coinpr0n

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:40:47 AM

Haha. Uhm... you're joking right? Firstly, XT is Core plus a a series of patches (not just larger blocks). Secondly, they cannot co-exist they are incompatible with eachother.

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:44:28 AM

I don't want bigger blocks. The consensus does not want bigger blocks.

As block rewards drop to zero transaction fees will be the only thing left to pay miners to secure and run the network. Increasing block size jeopardizes this important mechanism.

Sorry but which consenses do you mean?
No decision has been made so far.

The lack of ability to execute according to one's vision within the bitcoin-core dev process has made forking to XT inevitable. If not now, I could have seen another dev creating an 8M fork within the next year given the lack of progress within the group of core devs.

Most of bitcoin-dev don't seem too be interested in what end users want. This disconnect between devs and users is a big big reason that XT has such a groundswell of support. Ignoring what the end user wants will almost always lead to revolt in one way or another

That is the whole situation.

I'm for bigger blocks as well. But it would be great to have more options than just XT.
I hope core devs realize that
agath

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:56:31 AM

Haha. Uhm... you're joking right? Firstly, XT is Core plus a a series of patches (not just larger blocks). Secondly, they cannot co-exist they are incompatible with eachother.

I will accept the other patches (some of which are useful, like the DNS seed update, others are harmless, like the UTXO querying and DS relaying), because the support of larger blocks is really needed.

By the way why don't you stick to bitcoin core v0.4 for example? v0.11 is the v0.4 plus a series of patches on it.

They are not incompatible, XT is a drop-in replacement, totally interoperable. Increasing the max block size doesn't imply that automatically all mined blocks will be large. They will grow proportionally to bitcoin usage in the world. And when the largest part of miners will mine larger blocks, the new improved chain will take over. Simple, neat.
coinpr0n

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 11:00:56 AM

I will accept the other patches (some of which are useful, like the DNS seed update, others are harmless, like the UTXO querying and DS relaying), because the support of larger blocks is really needed.

By the way why don't you stick to bitcoin core v0.4 for example? v0.11 is the v0.4 plus a series of patches on it.

They are not incompatible, XT is a drop-in replacement, totally interoperable. Increasing the max block size doesn't imply that automatically all mined blocks will be large. They will grow proportionally to bitcoin usage in the world. And when the largest part of miners will mine larger blocks, the new improved chain will take over. Simple, neat.

My point is about the number of commiters. If XT takes over there will be no Core commiters, so your 6 minus 5 equals 1 commiter.

agath

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 11:14:48 AM

My point is about the number of commiters. If XT takes over there will be no Core commiters, so your 6 minus 5 equals 1 commiter.

I would not bet on it. And after all, if the Core developers leave, it means they would have been useless anyway. The world is big, someone else will take their place.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 12:23:18 PM

I would not bet on it. And after all, if the Core developers leave, it means they would have been useless anyway. The world is big, someone else will take their place.

+1

The experiment doesn't depend on any single dev.

Considering the concerted effort to suppress debate about the fork, xt, blockstream and core devs, we are sailing in dangerous waters.

Hedge accordingly.

Personally I will not abandon bitcoin for BlockstreamCoin.
fryarminer (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 12:29:32 PM

Op if you think ppl should stick with bitcoin core if the core team agree to give us bigger block , you really ditch the people that gave you that option in the first place.

Who think of bitcoin future and scalabilty? Not the core team that you're begging. They only do it so they can still be in authority and thats an insult to our intelligence.

Think of this as price matching, i support the business that gave us the best price thus i refuse to pricematch and go to the original business who give us the best price. Vote with my wallet.

I actually had my reasons:

1) so that the post wouldn't be moved to the "altcoin" section, since this is a Bitcoin discussion

2) because the danger is that core developers will harden in their intention and not raise the limit, based on the position of the XT team. There are many people who want and need larger blocks but don't want to "split" the network by adopting XT. By Core increasing the block size, both these and the XT users will get what they want without a split.

This being said, from what I'm reading the so-called "Lightning" network will cause more damage to Bitcoin than the XT fork will cause. It will require new wallets etc. So in the end, if Core does not increase the size, the path to lesser damage is to go with XT. The only danger with XT are the freshly mined coins on the Core chain after the split, which technically could be zero, if people simply upgrade.
balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 12:43:09 PM

As block rewards drop to zero transaction fees will be the only thing left to pay miners to secure and run the network. Increasing block size jeopardizes this important mechanism.

You are one of a very select few group of people that do not believe larger block size increases are needed.

We aren't only 'a select few' ... could be easily be a majority.

All of the people who think "don't fix what isn't broken" (which is wisdom) are against an increase at this point in time.

I think the discussion is manipulated by the xt shills who try to appear like a majority when they are a minority that just posts a lot more. Probably some of these xt shills are on some bank or governments payroll.
meono

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 01:13:20 PM

Op if you think ppl should stick with bitcoin core if the core team agree to give us bigger block , you really ditch the people that gave you that option in the first place.

Who think of bitcoin future and scalabilty? Not the core team that you're begging. They only do it so they can still be in authority and thats an insult to our intelligence.

Think of this as price matching, i support the business that gave us the best price thus i refuse to pricematch and go to the original business who give us the best price. Vote with my wallet.

I actually had my reasons:

1) so that the post wouldn't be moved to the "altcoin" section, since this is a Bitcoin discussion

2) because the danger is that core developers will harden in their intention and not raise the limit, based on the position of the XT team. There are many people who want and need larger blocks but don't want to "split" the network by adopting XT. By Core increasing the block size, both these and the XT users will get what they want without a split.

This being said, from what I'm reading the so-called "Lightning" network will cause more damage to Bitcoin than the XT fork will cause. It will require new wallets etc. So in the end, if Core does not increase the size, the path to lesser damage is to go with XT. The only danger with XT are the freshly mined coins on the Core chain after the split, which technically could be zero, if people simply upgrade.

Its not that dangerous. Dont listen to those idiots who like drama.

Since Gavin is already planning to fork only with majority of bitcoin economy, most if not all miner will choose the client version as soon as the result shows. (They got two weeks)

The rest of miners who still refuse to switch, will just cause a larger number of orphan blocks than normal. As i said it would be their losses. I dont  believe miners care as much as their return on investment.

Only idiots would actually think it will fork with 75% of miners

If anyone wants to mine coins that are not listed on global exchanges, they should look into altcoins. And belive me bitcoin exchanges dont like plan that undercut their revenue stream ( LightingNetwork and sidechains).
meono

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 01:15:15 PM

You are one of a very select few group of people that do not believe larger block size increases are needed.

All of the people who think "don't fix what isn't broken" (which is wisdom) are against an increase at this point in time.

I think the discussion is manipulated by the xt shills who try to appear like a majority when they are a minority that just posts a lot more. Probably some of these xt shills are on some bank or governments payroll.

Unless you think majority of bitcoiners are retards with conspiracy, then yes.

Ghostface

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 01:18:09 PM

As block rewards drop to zero transaction fees will be the only thing left to pay miners to secure and run the network.
Increasing block size jeopardizes this important mechanism.

We'll all be dead long before this happens so not sure why it should concern us right now. Eventually the block size will have to be increased so why not now? I think the only question is how big should the size be.
meono

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 01:20:54 PM

As block rewards drop to zero transaction fees will be the only thing left to pay miners to secure and run the network.
Increasing block size jeopardizes this important mechanism.

We'll all be dead long before this happens so not sure why it should concern us right now. Eventually the block size will have to be increased so why not now? I think the only question is how big should the size be.

That retard couldnt even calculate the fees to begin with. As if he does not know what tx volume means
TheMage

Activity: 812

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:11:47 AM

I hope you arent calling me an XT shill.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: