Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:02:06 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Core developers: we want bigger blocks  (Read 4181 times)
fryarminer (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:05:57 AM

Every once in a while a good topic comes up for debate in the Bitcoin world.
Then since they are few, we beat them into the ground.
Then they degenerate.

Core developers, we want bigger blocks. Give us bigger blocks. Put this fork headache to rest.

Ok. That being said, I'm done on this topic. I'm going to hodl and see where the cards fall. After the dust settles, Bitcoin will continue.
fryarminer (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:10:27 AM

I don't want bigger blocks. The consensus does not want bigger blocks.

As block rewards drop to zero transaction fees will be the only thing left to pay miners to secure and run the network. Increasing block size jeopardizes this important mechanism.

Let the miners decide their fees. Block size and miners accepting transactions for a fee are two different topics.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:30:01 AM

What the hack consensus you are talking about?

There is NO consensus right now. There is no consensus to raise the block size. There is no consensus not to raise the block size

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:30:43 AM

As block rewards drop to zero transaction fees will be the only thing left to pay miners to secure and run the network. Increasing block size jeopardizes this important mechanism.

You are one of a very select few group of people that do not believe larger block size increases are needed.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 04:36:25 AM

That's 100 years away. If bitcoin is still a thing in 100 years, transaction fees for a block would probably worth more than a block reward today.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:45:11 AM

That's 100 years away. If bitcoin is still a thing in 100 years, transaction fees for a block would probably worth more than a block reward today.

That was my understanding and I assumed everyone's understanding.
In theory, if everything goes according to original concept,
when fees need to take over, btc value should easily cover all mining costs.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:55:49 AM

It is pure speculation, we can't imagine what will be cost of a bitcoin in the future. And in case of prediction future linked to a computers and technology people are very bad.
Only 20 years ago we did not even dream of computers we have today. Same goes with cryptocurrency and its tech.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:01:55 AM

It is pure speculation, we can't imagine what will be cost of a bitcoin in the future. And in case of prediction future linked to a computers and technology people are very bad.
Only 20 years ago we did not even dream of computers we have today. Same goes with cryptocurrency and its tech.
Satoshi's speculation is what created Bitcoin/bitcoin and it is ours that gives it its value.

So you are saying that Bitcoin has failed based on the whitepaper so soon,
and we need to manipulate a fixed market (fee market) to give higher fees to the miners immediately,
and the miners aren't requesting a fixed market or a raise in fees yet?

I understand this conversation in the future, say 10-20 years maybe, but now?

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:06:42 AM

C'mon most of them do. Even Luke-jr (who wanted smaller blocks now) said ok to bigger blocks in 2017 in bip103.
The question is only 'when'.
No argument there, but again the time is important. Worrying about that now seems premature. When we have some adoption maybe...
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:20:47 AM

C'mon most of them do. Even Luke-jr (who wanted smaller blocks now) said ok to bigger blocks in 2017 in bip103.
The question is only 'when'.
No argument there, but again the time is important. Worrying about that now seems premature. When we have some adoption maybe...

Right i'm guessing some people fear that the transactions fee will drops since there will be so much room left, but to be honest its not much of a big deal right now. But if bitcoin is to go bigger, bigger block size is simply needed. Maybe it could be just a little more gradually, retargeted as need arise..

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
The Bitcoin Co-op
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 05:26:49 AM

We're going to hit the max capacity of 7 transactions per second long before the block reward dries up...

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:38:52 AM

The consensus does not want bigger blocks.
Like jl2012 says: currently there IS no concensus. This ongoing debate is an attempt to get it. It would be great if all Bitcoiners (or at least a vast majority) can find some common ground.

1. This is not an issue until many decades.

2. If you want Bitcoin to survive that long, we will need way more than 7 tps.

3. How the hell would increasing the block size limit (note: the limit is increased, not the block size itself per se) jeopardize miner's income? It will only allow them to mine more txs per block (thus more profit from fees), at the same cost, thus the incentive for miners to continue securing the network will persist.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:55:24 AM

I made various payments for 0.0001 fee and they went through without a problem. Until now I don't need bigger blocks.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:05:50 AM

I made various payments for 0.0001 fee and they went through without a problem. Until now I don't need bigger blocks.
Do you seriously not see the potential issue at hand?

Of course, nobody needs bigger blocks now. But if when we're hitting that 1MB limit, and suddenly transactions are stacking up, and backlog gets bigger and bigger, then all of a sudden we need a higher limit, so in case of peak volume Bitcoin can still handle it.

This is all about being more future-proof. Why not take action now, while it will have no practical influence (most if not all blocks will still be smaller than 1MB for quite a while) and we can robustly, consistently roll out this patch through the network.

Doing so in a hurry, when it's actually necessary right then and there, it will create chaos, tumult, confusion, panic, with exchanges who have updated and miner's who haven't (or reverse), blockchain forks, and other misery.

Let's not wait until it's too late! And waiting until this gets really urgent, is too late.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
TheMage

Activity: 812

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:14:43 AM

This is a very simplistic view of whats going on right now  Undecided.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:14:52 AM

Or not.. The idea now is to have very cheap transactions. If bitcoin value increases, that means transactions will be cheaper in satoshis than currently somewhere in the future. The ONLY way to get more bitcoin as miner reward is to have more transactions at a low transaction cost to keep transactions cheap.. For that, we need bigger blocks.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:22:34 AM

1. This is not an issue until many decades.

No, it isn't so far away. Have you looked at how the subsidy will look like in 2025? It will probably be a little higher than 3 BTC, and that's a strong incentive to include some transactions in your blocks (unless the price skyrockets a bit, but that's speculation). The subsidy will become insignificant a lot of years before it goes to zero.
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:38:13 AM

Op if you think ppl should stick with bitcoin core if the core team agree to give us bigger block , you really ditch the people that gave you that option in the first place.

Who think of bitcoin future and scalabilty? Not the core team that you're begging. They only do it so they can still be in authority and thats an insult to our intelligence.

Think of this as price matching, i support the business that gave us the best price thus i refuse to pricematch and go to the original business who give us the best price. Vote with my wallet.

meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:41:27 AM

Average is less than 0.4 mb per block, it's ridiculous so many people want a hard fork right now. It's pure ignorance, they haven't done any research.

The same quality research that you had to conclude Gavin was behind the spam attack?

No thanks i dont feel like pulling shit out of my ass.
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:44:47 AM

no, man.
unless you could prove that "XT is still qualifying the bitcoin core protocol", otherwise, bitcoin would not be able to stay for a long time due to the blockchain matter.
i could only support for up to 128mb or 256mb per block, you know, sustainable developments.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: