Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 11:08:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not just raise the tx fees?  (Read 521 times)
Envrin (OP)

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:58:36 AM

Wouldn't that almost instantly stop this whole blocksize debate, while allowing blocksize to increase without much worry of spam transactions?

A 0.0001 BTC (~$0.026 USD) fee to send an unlimited amount is great and all, and I can only speak for myself, but I'd be just as happy with a 0.001 BTC (~$0.26 USD) fee. Bitcoin isn't designed for 100s of 1000s of micro payments of $0.03 here and there, so people can buy their crappy alt-coins.

I'm sorry, but sending $0.015 is not a financial transaction. That's just a waste. So why not just raise the tx fees to 0.001 per 1000 bytes, which would cut out the spam transactions, and allow blocksize to increase. Isn't that the simplest solution?

I guess it might wipe out a dice site or three, but hardly the end of the world.  It's still only going to be say $0.30 USD to send funds, which is still quite a bit cheaper than say a $25 wire transfer, no?
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:05:38 AM

Wouldn't that almost instantly stop this whole blocksize debate, while allowing blocksize to increase without much worry of spam transactions?

A 0.0001 BTC (~$0.026 USD) fee to send an unlimited amount is great and all, and I can only speak for myself, but I'd be just as happy with a 0.001 BTC (~$0.26 USD) fee. Bitcoin isn't designed for 100s of 1000s of micro payments of $0.03 here and there, so people can buy their crappy alt-coins.

I'm sorry, but sending $0.015 is not a financial transaction. That's just a waste. So why not just raise the tx fees to 0.001 per 1000 bytes, which would cut out the spam transactions, and allow blocksize to increase. Isn't that the simplest solution?

I guess it might wipe out a dice site or three, but hardly the end of the world.  It's still only going to be say $0.30 USD to send funds, which is still quite a bit cheaper than say a $25 wire transfer, no?

However, 0.001 BTC per tx is way too expensive for faucet users (like I did) and for some poor countries (the international poverty line was at $1 per day, though now increased, however sending few txs will cost a whole day of work for them).

Also, cash transactions are also free of charge, and paying even 1 satoshi for a tx is an extra cost.

About the spam, we can raise the minimum send (it was 5460 satoshi before, now decreased to 546). Also, blockchain.info are blocking txs with small output and paying less than 20000 satoshi as fee.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:25:35 AM

because bitcoin is about lower fees, if you begin to remove the few advantages that bitcoin have over fiat, than what's the point of using bitcoin at all, only because it's decentralized?

i'm sure this isn't enough for 90% of the people
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 08:27:50 AM

The fee is optional. If you want to pay more, go ahead and your transactions will get priority. If you don't want to pay a fee, go ahead and other transactions will get confirmed before yours. It is completely up to you. There is no need to enforce a minimum fee, higher or lower.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:55:52 AM

No the fees should stay as low as possible. This is one of Bitcoin's key advantages in my opionion. If you are willing to pay more there will nobody hinder you from doing it.
agath

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 12:28:07 PM

The size of the fee is up to miners. The can and will decide. Low fees are guaranteed by unlimited block size and competition.
Poolie

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 12:41:17 PM

We really shouldn't be making fees higher at this point and this isn't really a solution. People should still be able to send micropayments. I think the block should be made bigger as do most but this whole bitcoinxt thing isn't the way to go.

because bitcoin is about lower fees, if you begin to remove the few advantages that bitcoin have over fiat, than what's the point of using bitcoin at all, only because it's decentralized?

i'm sure this isn't enough for 90% of the people

Exactly. We should keep the fees as low as possible as this is one of the big benefits of bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: