Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:27:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WEBSITE OWNERS: NEW BROWSER MINER! HAVE YOUR WEBSITE GENERATE BITCOINS FOR YOU!  (Read 40293 times)
pharno

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:16:13 AM

"i hope your project dies out fast."

You, sir, are an asshole. This Guy worked long on this project, probably between 20 and 40 hours. Just because you dont like it the way it is, doesnt mean it is bad. Oh an "power get drained in no time", flash does that.

I will try it out, sadly I dont have a large website (yet).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:11:35 AM

I will try it out.
Then you, sir, are an asshole and a leech. Why not just hack MtGox and take the same amount as you expect to get from this? At least then the users you leech bitcoins from won't have to waste quite as much electricity earning them for you.
pharno

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:21:08 AM

you know, if I would hack mtgox, I wouldnt take only 10 or 20 bitcoins. I probably would empty their account, which is how many? 500k?

oh right, 500k BTC takes less electricity than 20, sry I've forgotten that.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:45:12 AM

Guess I underestimated your lack of moral standards, then.
LeFBI

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 11:13:27 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2011, 11:38:58 AM by LeFBI

Zephyre:
thank you very much for your work and for making it open source!

Could you please(pretty please! Smiley ) integrate a nonce range splitting in the applet?
The thing is....your applet is currently looping through the complete 32bit nonce range, which takes a single user "ages" compared to the time they stay on my site. They mostly leave before the applet can even finish a single round. The JSMiner guys at bitp.it fixed this by distributing the same getwork() data&target to multiple users, but with a given nonce range. This way a single user will only loop through a snippet of the range. If the client can't finish the snippet nonce range within 30s the client reports back to the server, telling the server how far he got. server updates nonce range on his side, sends new range and/or new getwork back to client.

With the parallelized work on the same getwork() you can greatly increase the number shares and users who don't stay long enough on a site to loop through the whole 32bit range wouldn't do useless mining.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:27:37 PM

To the owners of BitJam --

I'm having serious issues.

Looking at my stats, it's been holding at "228 shares" for SOME TIME now. About 3 days to be exact.

And it says "-28 shares" until payout -- where's my .01 BTC?

Those are the two important issues I have. I expect an answer or I'm going to spread the word that you're scamming people (and I'm obviously going to take the code down from my sites!)

Matthew
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:08:45 AM

I don't appreciate being ignored.

If you don't speak up -- either return my e-mail, or respond to this thread -- it's going to be plain to all that this is just a big, elaborate scheme for you to get some free BTC, and the whole "big top" will come crashing down.

The choice is yours.
xjosx

Activity: 33

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 12:01:00 PM

I don't appreciate being ignored.

If you don't speak up -- either return my e-mail, or respond to this thread -- it's going to be plain to all that this is just a big, elaborate scheme for you to get some free BTC, and the whole "big top" will come crashing down.

The choice is yours.

:|
Have you checked his forum profile? "Last Active: June 21, 2011, 09:17:08 am"
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 02:20:41 PM

Yes, but I sent and e-mail as well, and was totally ignored.

Considering the quick pace of development up till now, yet nothing has changed on the website in days -- I'm a bit concerned.
Getting 0 response to e-mails/forum posts makes it all the worse.

You know, even programmers' brains get tired. I speak from experience. Sometimes you need a break from coding; that's when you do things like go outside, do household chores, or even do something "mindless" on the PC, like visit these forums.

Why hasn't he been here in days?
tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:36:11 PM

I do not advocate this unless the following is mentioned on pages that use this:

1. tell the user what you're going to do if they go further into your site
2. don't have the script for the home page, in case someone is there by accident, or doesn't wish to go further (see 1)
3. possibly have an "opt-out" if you're running a site that has paying subscribers... have the paying subscribers not have this, or perhaps an "opt-in" for them, otherwise off by default

If you want to piss of the rest of the world against bitcoins, this is the way to do it.

This is why I run crap like AdBlock, disable Javascript unless I *really* want to use those features on a site, block flash, etc, etc.
Eri

Activity: 264

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:00:41 PM

**06/06/2011 9:30am -- UPDATE: Official launch of the BitJAM website. www.bitjam.com**

guy hasn't logged in since June 21, 2011, 09:17:08 am and his domain is now /for sale/ and website /gone/... votes for scam?
LeFBI

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:00:29 PM

**06/06/2011 9:30am -- UPDATE: Official launch of the BitJAM website. www.bitjam.com**

guy hasn't logged in since June 21, 2011, 09:17:08 am and his domain is now /for sale/ and website /gone/... votes for scam?
where did you get that dot com from? he never wrote that in the first [ DO NOT POST SESC LINKS ]post[/url], it's dot org Smiley
http://www.bitjam.org
Capitan

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:11:24 PM

This is an idiotic idea. It is unethical to use the compute power of a website's viewer's without their knowledge. That sysadmin guy in Australia got nabbed for putting this type of software on their servers, having their website's viewers mine bitcoins.

People who use this type of software in this way attract the wrong kind of attention towards Bitcoin. They are the scum of the internet, and by association Bitcoin's reputation is tainted.

In theory there could be ethical uses for web browser based mining, but I don't see why anyone would want to use it. If they had access to a computer on which they had permission to mine, most likely they could just install a non-browser miner on it. Running it on a website and mining on people's browsers without their knowledge is just as bad as botnets mining on unsuspecting peoples' PC's. Unethical use would also include logging into a site with browser based miner at a public place like a library, or computer lab, with the intention of mining bitcoins at the expense of the person operating the lab (without their permission).

Eri

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:45:20 PM

rofl, your right it is '.org' ... But.. check the 5th post which is made by the same guy, he wrote '.com'.
LeFBI

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 08:26:30 AM

Running it on a website and mining on people's browsers without their knowledge is just as bad as botnets mining on unsuspecting peoples' PC's.
As already said a thousand times in this and other threads about website miners.....it's up to the webmasters to tell people! Don't blame the developers of these tools, blame the webmasters who don't announce it to their users. The usage of webminers is perfectly fine if you use them as ad replacement (not worth it yet) and tell the users why there are no ads or you create a button "Donate CPU time" (GPU time in future, hopefully)
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 06:48:08 PM

So is it official?  BitJam was a big scam?

We haven't heard from the lead developer since the 21st... even on the weekend...where did he go?
Eri

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 05:37:52 AM

The one thing i really don't like about these, and this one in particular. is that it starts using your CPU almost as soon as you open the page (take time for it to start up) and doesn't even tell you its doing this. you would expect any Legit software and website that likes having users come back would maybe have a landing page(for first visit?) with something like "we here at blablabla.com would like to try generating a small bit of income for our website, (at current exchange rates, far less then what ads provide) by simply having your CPU run some calculations for us when its not being used and while your still at our website." then have 2 buttons, "sure, use my CPU!" and "what are you crazy? hells no!~" at which point it could set a cookie so it would know to run each time they visit. possibly opening a new window instead of being embedding in the current one so it doesn't have to waste time reloading each time they click a link. And because your nice.. you will have the page close itself if they close the window/tab with your website in it. At least that is how i would do it.

You have to look at it this way, if 50% of the people that reply to your thread don't like the idea of having their CPU used for this without their knowledge, what makes you think that *everyone* that visits Every site that uses this is going to Love the idea of having their CPU used without their permission? if only *one* person hates it, and their is something you can do about it, you should do your best to fix it. in this case you have probably around 50% that don't approve, most of the ones that do approve want to install it on their website, so they are biased. that is a HUGE amount of people that will not be happy with you using their CPU without their permission. i could go on, but i think I've made my point.

Best solution, Ask them before using it.
tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:09:04 PM

Like I said before, it's the reason I run NoScript, AdBlock, etc, etc, and then massage out the crap that I'll permit the websites to allow to my computer.

I can *guarantee* you that if a website pulled this crap on me and didn't let me know or let me opt out, I would *never* visit that site again.  I have a CPU usage gadget thingy running on my computer (for other reasons), but it is a nice way to discover run-away processes.  So if I start up a huge game and it spikes, I know what's going on, but if I open up a webpage and see it spike, I know something's amiss and leave there immediately.
Zephyre (OP)

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 09:29:06 PM

Looking at my stats, it's been holding at "228 shares" for SOME TIME now. About 3 days to be exact.

There were issues with the server the backend is running on, so the backend was down for a few days. During that time, any miner applets embedded in any pages shut themselves off (since they're designed to do so when they can't reach the server) and no shares were generated. During that time some major issues came up in my life so I unfortunately didn't have time to fix the problem. The server is back up and running again.

And it says "-28 shares" until payout -- where's my .01 BTC?

The payout system isn't fully automated at this point. I've written out the code so that it could be fully automated, but I'm running the payout script manually at this point so that I can keep an eye on it to make sure that it's doing the right thing, just to be safe.

Anyway, your 0.01btc should be sent later on tonight.

In case you hadn't noticed, this project is open source, you're free to run it on your own server. In fact, you'd probably generate more that way, since the lack of bandwidth congestion would likely reduce the number of stale shares by a substantial amount. The only real advantage of running through our server at this point is that you don't have to set a backend up on your own server, so it's convenient.

Unfortunately, we're really not making much of any profit on this at all. We've personally made about 0.012btc (about 17 cents at the current conversion rate) total during the 3 weeks or whatever since we started this project. Basically, it's barely enough to provide a buffer space for payouts. A couple people have made a somewhat substantial amount, considering how little bandwidth our server has at this point and how badly it's getting slammed, anyway. Hopefully this will be profitable for us in the future somehow or other, but at this point, it's just an experiment.
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 10:31:22 PM

I understand you had some issues in your life -- I just wish you had said something -- anything -- on here, even if it was just a few words.

When people get absolute silence, they begin to get worried and assume the worst. I hope you understand.

Obviously I didn't mean to accuse you of anything you're not guilty of -- I just didn't know what to think.

Matthew
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: