Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 05:26:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft is allowing itself to detect pirated games on your Windows 10 PC  (Read 4098 times)
ObscureBean (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 03:27:25 PM

Just stumbled upon this article published today. I know a lot of you guys play computer games so I thought I'd make this heads-up post.  I don't have any pirated games on my Win 10 PC but I have on a few occasions in the past tried cracked PC games (I'm mostly a console gamer (non-pirated) ) . It is not clear whether Microsoft intends to forward the data it collects to the authorities.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/08/17/microsoft-is-allowing-itself-to-detect-pirated-games-on-your-windows-10-pc/
bimasena25

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

https://bitcointester.com/

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 04:34:18 PM

whether it is as if recording the personal data of users, my friends?

Bitcoin Tester

*Image Removed*
RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:45:30 PM

Microsoft literally screwed up this time in my honest opinion , none of their previous like that . their latest windows release may be fast and have a lot of new features however for what comes to privacy .. It's fucked up. This what happens when you become NSA's bitch

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:40:58 PM

Just stumbled upon this article published today. I know a lot of you guys play computer games so I thought I'd make this heads-up post.  I don't have any pirated games on my Win 10 PC but I have on a few occasions in the past tried cracked PC games (I'm mostly a console gamer (non-pirated) ) . It is not clear whether Microsoft intends to forward the data it collects to the authorities.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/08/17/microsoft-is-allowing-itself-to-detect-pirated-games-on-your-windows-10-pc/

Why do you think they wouldn't forward it to the authorities? They already have it in their terms that if the authorities ask, they will receive without needing a warrant as far as it reads.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
    protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
    operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
    protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement. "
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 06:03:40 PM

Microsoft literally screwed up this time in my honest opinion , none of their previous like that . their latest windows release may be fast and have a lot of new features however for what comes to privacy .. It's fucked up. This what happens when you become NSA's bitch

This particular thing is nothing to do with the NSA, it's the copyright lobbyists who go around threatening these software creators into doing something about filesharing, too bad for them people always find a way to reverse engineer this stuff or they simply won't stick with any later versions of Windows anymore.

You see it happen with google and other games publishers, torrentfreak is a very good source for this kind of news.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:01:21 PM

Meh its not good im staying well clear of windows 10, i like to pirate stream sports matches and movies way too often Grin
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:55:57 PM

Just stumbled upon this article published today. I know a lot of you guys play computer games so I thought I'd make this heads-up post.  I don't have any pirated games on my Win 10 PC but I have on a few occasions in the past tried cracked PC games (I'm mostly a console gamer (non-pirated) ) . It is not clear whether Microsoft intends to forward the data it collects to the authorities.

Meh its not good im staying well clear of windows 10, i like to pirate stream sports matches and movies way too often Grin

Ubuntu....??

What if you want to play SC2??

Installing stuff on Ubuntu makes me want to punch myself in the face...

This is really bad.. stuck between a rock and a hard place I am...

I wish there was an inperson ubuntu course...
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:42:21 PM

What about old ROMs?
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:57:36 PM

http://minionvilla.com/2014/03/microsoft-charges-the-fbi-for-user-information/

... "So the issue is not that Microsoft copper to give this information, but it is striking that there are so many “suspects” whom the FBI demanding information."

I guess they don't call him "Bill" Gates for nothing.

panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:57:09 AM

Another reason to avoid Windows 10.
This is out in the open. Who knows what else information they collect from your computer?
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:04:09 AM

Maybe I will be the only voice against you all guys but me seems correct is windows 10 and Microsft is allowing itself to detect pirates games on its operative system. There are tons of work behind every game and it is not right that those not be bought to give the owners their money and their sweat. Simple: it is not right to steal the authors.
ObscureBean (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 06:11:24 AM

Why do you think they wouldn't forward it to the authorities? They already have it in their terms that if the authorities ask, they will receive without needing a warrant as far as it reads.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
    protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
    operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
    protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement. "

Not sure what you're getting at here, your highlighted text merely confirms the last line of my comment. They said "we may refer..." and not "we will refer..." which means they may or may not do it. They have not clearly defined a situation where enforcing the law would be inevitable.

Maybe I will be the only voice against you all guys but me seems correct is windows 10 and Microsft is allowing itself to detect pirates games on its operative system. There are tons of work behind every game and it is not right that those not be bought to give the owners their money and their sweat. Simple: it is not right to steal the authors.

I respect that and that's exactly the way it should be in an ideal world. However this world is neither ideal nor is it fair. Most people can only ever truly understand one side of the story, their side. The fear of losing themselves, of losing their identities prevents them from truly walking in the other side's shoes. Extremism in defense of one's side is borne of this very fear.
Pugsly

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 08:52:50 AM

To be honest this is probably them trying to protect their income more than anything, but this sort of stuff is just going to push people more towards open source operating systems as we're being spied on from almost everything we do on a computer and online and it needs to stop. I hope most things become decentralized eventually.
RappelzReborn

Activity: 686

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:04:34 AM

To be honest this is probably them trying to protect their income more than anything, but this sort of stuff is just going to push people more towards open source operating systems as we're being spied on from almost everything we do on a computer and online and it needs to stop. I hope most things become decentralized eventually.

I know man , but the only problem with Windows is that the whole world is using it . most of the games dosen't work on other Operating systems etc ...
So even if someone wants to switch he can't because he will need something else on his PC that he can't get unless he have Windows installed and I don't Virtual machines are the solution because everyboody prefer having their softwares , games etc .. on their main OS.

Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 04:58:09 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/17/9167203/windows-10-privacy-scare-cloud-privacy

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:05:28 PM

"But while software has changed, the world has been changing around it. Corporate clouds aren't as secure as they once were, and we've seen them compromised by government spies and Redditors alike. Last year, Microsoft chased down an in-house leaker by peeking into a private blogger's Hotmail account, offering profuse apologies after the fact."

"In the weeks after its release, Windows 10 users have noticed something strange — it's always phoning home. Last week, an Ars Technica investigation found Windows computers sending data back to Microsoft servers even after services like Cortana and OneDrive had been disabled, in one case even sending back a message as soon as users hit the Start button."

Like privacy? Don't upgrade, instead switch to a new computer OS, or keep your hands off your computer altogether.
21coin

Activity: 493

Sarthak's a dumb girl

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:12:41 PM

Heard microsoft was giving free upgrade to windows 10, now I know the reason why. You just made me never want to switch to windows 10.

Eodguy149

Activity: 578
Merit: 554

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 09:20:09 AM

I think one of the most interesting things I ever learned was in a marketing class. My professor stated that no product is given for free, and if it is then you are the product. This statement falls perfectly in line with Windows 10 and the massive amounts of data that it detects.

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
andysbizz

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:41:21 AM

Another reason to avoid Windows 10.
This is out in the open. Who knows what else information they collect from your computer?

Totally agree with you, because I think about this version as you. Windows 10 is freely available and it is suspect. Who knows how vulnerable will be information about you after this installation?
MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 03:30:49 PM

Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny - Great interview with Katherine about Windows 10 security.

Would You Pay Micro-soft to spy on you? Windows 10 is an update that is being used to spy on you through malware. It is placed on your computer through the update and then leaves you helpless against spying through keystrokes, your camera and websites you visit.

Join Pete and Dr. Katherine Albrecht to learn why you should be very concerned about Micro-Softs new software. Do not upgrade to Windows10 until you listen to this important message!

About Katherine Albrecht - Dr. Katherine Albrecht is a privacy expert and outspoken opponent of RFID [ the RFID LADY "], implantable microchips, search engine data collection, and retail customer surveillance. Katherine has authored pro-privacy legislation, testified before lawmakers around the globe, written for numerous publications including Scientific American, and granted over 2,000 media interviews. She was appointed by New Hampshire Governor John Lynch to serve as an expert member of that state's two-year study commission.

Katherine is also a syndicated radio host, bestselling author, and helped to develop www.Startpage.com, the world's most private search engine and private alternative to Google.

Katherine holds a Doctorate in Consumer Education from Harvard University.

-Website URL
www.KatherineAlbrecht.com kmashow.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: