Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 08:02:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shall we start selling all of our Bitcoins fast?  (Read 2748 times)
BeastBTC (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

I'm A Beast!

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 04:47:12 PM

Could this be a sign that we should sell? Apparently Bitcoin-Core transactions are not compatible with BitcoinXT, and this means you will pretty much lose all your coins:

http://thebtcpool.com/chief-scientist-launches-alternative-proposal-for-the-currency/
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:49:47 PM

If there is a fork, any private keys you hold prior to the fork will exist on both sides. You can then taint them with post-fork coins and separate them entirely (holding both, selling one or the other, selling them both).

If you want to make sure you don't have a vote (the only kind of vote that counts) in the matter, sell before the fork.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
BeastBTC (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

I'm A Beast!

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 04:51:23 PM

If there is a fork, any private keys you hold prior to the fork will exist on both sides. You can then taint them with post-fork coins and separate them entirely (holding both, selling one or the other, selling them both).

If you want to make sure you don't have a vote (the only kind of vote that counts) in the matter, sell before the fork.

Taken from the article:
"But even if the change goes through relatively quickly, some inattentive users could find themselves out of pocket. Once the block sizes increase (which won’t happen until January 2016, and then only if 75% of the miners have switched to Bitcoin XT), the two versions of bitcoin will be incompatible. Transactions made on one version of bitcoin would not be reflected on the other, essentially rendering null any attempts to spend bitcoin on the “losing” fork after that date."

Do you mean you will still be able to sell after 2016 any coins that were on Core?
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:53:04 PM

Taken from the article:
"But even if the change goes through relatively quickly, some inattentive users could find themselves out of pocket. Once the block sizes increase (which won’t happen until January 2016, and then only if 75% of the miners have switched to Bitcoin XT), the two versions of bitcoin will be incompatible. Transactions made on one version of bitcoin would not be reflected on the other, essentially rendering null any attempts to spend bitcoin on the “losing” fork after that date."

Do you mean you will still be able to sell after 2016 any coins that were on Core?

If there is demand for transactions (mining) on both sides of the fork, that demand will obviously be met.

Clearly, since there is no consensus, there will be demand.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:16:02 PM

Yes, demand for Litecoin Smiley
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 05:20:37 PM

Yes, demand for Litecoin Smiley

well...a good move  Tongue

but honestly: no you wont lose your bitcoins OP.

lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:31:19 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 06:07:20 PM by lite

Could this be a sign that we should sell? Apparently Bitcoin-Core transactions are not compatible with BitcoinXT, and this means you will pretty much lose all your coins:

http://thebtcpool.com/chief-scientist-launches-alternative-proposal-for-the-currency/
Just chill you won't lose any of your Bitcoins. Bitcoin XT is not going to happen i think, only ~524 people running XT client/node.
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:00:02 PM

it's gonna be messy before dust settles

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
Zawamiya

Activity: 526

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:14:06 PM

I don't think its a good reason to sell your bitcoins for cheap price just because someone created a fork of bitcoin with bigger block size, the backbone of bitcoin is bitcoin core, any application poping out like this will disapear very soon from market.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 08:02:50 PM

Where can one see and check what percent of consensus is reached in favor of XT? Only asking because if I see it reaching closer to 75% then I might sell all my bitcoins and move on with my life because I wouldn't want to switch to BitcoinXT which is just another altcoin.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 08:34:07 PM

http://xtnodes.com/

https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 09:53:18 PM

Taken from the article:

What? I was told that it wouldn't even be noticable.
MF Doom

Activity: 560

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 09:59:09 PM

you might not lose your coins, but short term you might lose some purchasing power.  I sold some this morn, will be getting back in if we drop back to the 200-220 level, which I htink we will SHORT term
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:05:52 PM

You probably should.
forlackofabettername

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:52:18 PM

Taken from the article:

What? I was told that it wouldn't even be noticable.

And i was told Santa Claus is living with  the elves in his workshop at the northpole where he crafts all the presents for the children during the year.

"If you see fraud and don't shout fraud, you are a fraud"
  -- Nassim Taleb
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 11:18:17 PM

XT will only be accepting bigger blocks when 75% of the network agrees, now this can still be a bit dramatic, but i'm glad to see the XT devs took some precautions to attempt not to lay the entire bitcoin ecosystem in ruins.
I know i've been dramatic in the past week or so about this hard fork, but it seems the implications of just hard forking were well considered by the xt-devs.

We need bigger blocks that's for sure, how to go about it is another discussion and we need to aim for consensus and a future proof system before big changes are applied.

So maybe it's not the end of bitcoin yet Cheesy

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
solitude

Activity: 674

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:46:08 AM

Enjoy your panic buys when the price inevitably rises again

The majority of you are emo fags that think like women.

Try growing a pair of balls and holding your coins.

Hardly anyone speaks English on this forum.
everaja

Activity: 490

~ScapeGoat~

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:50:33 AM

If you wanted to sell the BTC , why didnt you sold them when it was 300+ , and making a wave now .
I don't find any interest now as BTC will surely again touch 300 in near future.
Who knows even it may cross 500 $.

Dilla

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:01:34 AM

Why are we doing this shit?
forlackofabettername

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:16:45 AM

Why are we doing this shit?

Because Gavin has an issue with his penis size.

"If you see fraud and don't shout fraud, you are a fraud"
  -- Nassim Taleb
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: