Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:09:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which innovation in Bitcoin do you REALLY want?
More transactions per second - 18 (64.3%)
Bigger blocks - 8 (28.6%)
Bitcoin XT - 2 (7.1%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which innovation in Bitcoin do you REALLY want?  (Read 1739 times)
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:52:36 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 06:35:09 PM by Carlton Banks

It seems to me like the issues in this debate are heavily conflated. What is everyone actually arguing about? What do you really want, a brand name product, more storage space on the ledger, or higher transaction rates? If you have to choose only one, which?

Vires in numeris
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 05:54:50 PM

Bigger blocks. But without consensus, there is only XT. Same old problem. I would be okay with BIP 100 / 101 too...

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:58:49 PM

Bigger blocks of course however they aint doing that without BitcoinXT and this shit is increasing here http://xtnodes.com/ in last week from 0 to 500 nodes (not even sure if they are legit numbers or just some automatic counter lol)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:00:16 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 06:15:14 PM by Carlton Banks

Bigger blocks. But without consensus, there is only XT. Same old problem. I would be okay with BIP 100 / 101 too...

I'm not totally against BIP 100, but I would prefer BIP 101. I think we all know I won't be switching to XT though.

Bigger blocks of course however they aint doing that without BitcoinXT and this shit is increasing here http://xtnodes.com/ in last week from 0 to 500 nodes (not even sure if they are legit numbers or just some automatic counter lol)

Relax, those nodes are probably all running from the same server box that was doing the transaction flooding attacks a few weeks back. I could run 500 XT nodes myself on my computer, as long as I didn't want to use it for anything else  Cheesy

Vires in numeris
mixan
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

TRUMP IS DOING THE BEST! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:02:13 PM

I want to see InstantX feature in bitcoin in future to confirm the transaction fast.sometime transaction confirmation time is too long then normal.

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:04:34 PM

I want to see InstantX feature in bitcoin in future to confirm the transaction fast.sometime transaction confirmation time is too long then normal.

Unfortunately no-one is addressing that issue right now (it's not easy to solve if you use the bigger blocks model, but really that's a separate debate). Can't add an option for that in the poll, but if anyone can think of another option that fits, I'll add it on.

Vires in numeris
Corenin
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:07:49 PM

I want to see bitcoin to turn into POS when block rewards change to 12.5 next year
TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:23:43 PM

Not fussed about any of them, truth be told.

I want to see things like smaller on-disk block chain. Distributed block chain etc.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:31:19 PM

I voted for bigger blocks as well. I would be fine with BIP100 or 101.
I'm not quite sure about XT to be honest but right now it is the only option we have.

I hope we can fix this never ending story.Getting headache and the press already started writing about it. That we're tearing each other apart over this whole thing.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:35:43 PM

i want that bitcoin reaches mainstream status, so anything that is preventing this must be solved, if bigger block is needed for this then we need bigger block, if faster confirmation time is needed for this, then it must be fixed
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:41:34 PM

Not fussed about any of them, truth be told.

I want to see things like smaller on-disk block chain. Distributed block chain etc.

Unfortunately, smaller blockchain is logically a little difficult. You could find a more space efficient way to re-encode the transactions already in the blockchain, but that might affect confidence in the system (it amounts to a form of re-writing history, which would be a difficult sell to the users)

Distributed blockchain? Um, we have that feature already...

Vires in numeris
Denker
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:43:11 PM

@ OP
With more transactions per second I guess you mean sidechains or lightning network, i.e. off mainchain solutions right?

Because more transactions per second will be available with bigger blocks as well.
This is a bit confusing imo.
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:48:11 PM

@ OP
With more transactions per second I guess you mean sidechains or lightning network, i.e. off mainchain solutions right?

Because more transactions per second will be available with bigger blocks as well.

No. I mean exactly what I say; you have three carefully worded, carefully chosen options. Choose one. Or none.

It's probably confusing because you're finding difficult to choose. I intended to provoke that response, so I think my choice of options was good.

Vires in numeris
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:51:55 PM

Bigger blocks but ideally agreed on by everyone. The fee market thing would stifle adoption before it had even got started.
Denker
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:31:37 PM

@ OP

No. I mean exactly what I say; you have three carefully worded, carefully chosen options. Choose one. Or none.

It's probably confusing because you're finding difficult to choose. I intended to provoke that response, so I think my choice of options was good.

I've choosen before. I voted for bigger blocks because we need more space for more transactions per second in the future!!
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:34:56 PM

I've choosen before. I voted for bigger blocks because we need more space for more transactions per second in the future!!

Quoted for posterity

Vires in numeris
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 08:01:37 PM

Bigger blocks definitely. If we want Bitcoin to grow in the future, we must increase blocks. But after reading a lot last few days, I came to a conclusion that achieving bigger blocks withe the XT fork is not a way to go.

So I am voting for bigger blocks in the Bitcoin Core and I am also voting explicitly against the XT.
ashour

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 08:02:48 PM

I think that more transactions per second would be a more useful innovation. With more transactions per second developers will be able to build unique applications using bitcoin.
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:23:52 AM

Bump for those who weren't here yesterday. Place your vote...

Vires in numeris
forlackofabettername

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:41:22 AM

Please add two options:
1) no Mike and no Gavin
2) better decentralisation

"If you see fraud and don't shout fraud, you are a fraud"
  -- Nassim Taleb
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All