Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:22:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 1500 times)
Wexlike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:43:43 PM

Was moved to the altcoin section.

Discuss.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68655.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:51:55 PM

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the OP of that thread moved it. I don't see a redirect link by a moderator and it is pretty rare for such long standing threads to be moved like that (unless a new board was created), even if it might be more appropriate to be filed somewhere else.

Edit: reported the thread to be moved back to economics >> speculation

Edit2: He was/is probably trolling
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 02:13:03 PM

The thread shouldn't have been hijacked in the first place, what a mess. The thread is mostly about XT now, and the only graphs posted are XT related.

It would be a lot of work to split or delete all the XT posts. Splitting is not easy to do in SMF, especially with large threads, and many posts to be split. So that isn't an option.

It could stay in speculation since the majority of the thread is relevant, but all XT chat from here on out to be moderated.

Might be better to just lock the thread since it's so far off track at this point.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:28:20 PM

The thread shouldn't have been hijacked in the first place, what a mess. The thread is mostly about XT now, and the only graphs posted are XT related.

It would be a lot of work to split or delete all the XT posts. Splitting is not easy to do in SMF, especially with large threads, and many posts to be split. So that isn't an option.

It could stay in speculation since the majority of the thread is relevant, but all XT chat from here on out to be moderated.

Might be better to just lock the thread since it's so far off track at this point.

according to you it's a mess.  the thread has always been multi-dimensional and you know that.  and the "only" graphs posted are XT?  lol.  first off, that's not even true.  second, you know that any graphs presented vary with the controversy of the day, XT being only a small slice of what the thread is all about over it's 4 y timeframe.

"all XT chat is to be moderated"?  by who's decision, theymos or you? 

and like you really cared about it ever being on track before XT came along.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:43:00 PM

Bitcoin is apparently censorship resistant, thus the amount of censorship currently happening is baffling. No greater shame happened on this community historically.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:47:18 PM

if your motives were strictly topic related, then why didn't you leave the customary "(MOVED)" notice behind in Speculation redirecting confused readers where to go to find the moved thread?

and why did you just remove my new topic thread in Speculation attempting to remedy your deficiency? 
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:53:36 PM

the thread has been forked!
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 04:08:23 PM

if your motives were strictly topic related, then why didn't you leave the customary "(MOVED)" notice behind in Speculation redirecting confused readers where to go to find the moved thread?

and why did you just remove my new topic thread in Speculation attempting to remedy your deficiency? 

Oh this is just too funny.  I can't even!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:14:53 PM

Looking at the last 10 pages or so of that thread, it appears that the last 3-4ish pages are discussing the moderation of that thread (and the forum) and are off topic (I reported 10 or so of the posts however there are more that I didn't report). A large portion of the rest of the posts in the last 10 pages of that thread are in some way discussing Bitcoin (and bitcoin), and some posts discuss XT in some way.

My understanding is that as long as Bitcoin (or bitcoin) is somehow a part of the topic then the thread belongs in the main section, and that threads should be in the altcoin section if they are discussing alts exclusively. I think it would be a bit extreme to move the thread simply because an altcoin is being discussed.

One other thing to note is that out of all the posts that I read in the last 10 pages of that thread, I saw exactly zero posts that had anything to do with the original topic.

I would agree that the thread should probably be locked after it is moved back to the speculation section. I would also say that the economics (and speculation) section needs more moderators to keep discussions from getting off topic as this thread appears to have been (probably a long time ago)
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:22:08 PM

Oh this is just too funny.  I can't even!

[img]-snip-[img]

You stink fear all over the place. Please stop with your childish attitude.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 04:27:00 PM

XT chat from here on out to be moderated.

the thread has always been multi-dimensional and you know that.  and the "only" graphs posted are XT?  lol.  first off, that's not even true.  second, you know that any graphs presented vary with the controversy of the day, XT being only a small slice of what the thread is all about over it's 4 y timeframe.

"all XT chat is to be moderated"?  by who's decision, theymos or you? 

XT is an altcoin, and thus off-topic in the Main (IE Bitcoin) forum:

Activating a hardfork based on what miners do is really bad. You could easily have a situation where 75% of miners support XT but none of the big Bitcoin exchanges or businesses do. Then miners would start mining coins that they couldn't spend anywhere useful, and SPV users would find that they can't transact with the businesses they want to deal with. The currency would be split, and in this case XT would be in a far weaker position than Bitcoin.

The possibility of this sort of network/currency split is what makes XT not a "legitimate hardfork", but rather the programmed creation of an altcoin. A consensus hardfork can only go forward once it has been determined that it's nearly impossible for the Bitcoin economy to split in any significant way. Not every Bitcoin user on Earth has to agree, but enough that there won't be a noticeable split.

Did you somehow miss ^that^ very important message from our sponsor?   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:35:06 PM

XT chat from here on out to be moderated.

the thread has always been multi-dimensional and you know that.  and the "only" graphs posted are XT?  lol.  first off, that's not even true.  second, you know that any graphs presented vary with the controversy of the day, XT being only a small slice of what the thread is all about over it's 4 y timeframe.

"all XT chat is to be moderated"?  by who's decision, theymos or you?  

XT is an altcoin, and thus off-topic in the Main (IE Bitcoin) forum:

Activating a hardfork based on what miners do is really bad. You could easily have a situation where 75% of miners support XT but none of the big Bitcoin exchanges or businesses do. Then miners would start mining coins that they couldn't spend anywhere useful, and SPV users would find that they can't transact with the businesses they want to deal with. The currency would be split, and in this case XT would be in a far weaker position than Bitcoin.

The possibility of this sort of network/currency split is what makes XT not a "legitimate hardfork", but rather the programmed creation of an altcoin. A consensus hardfork can only go forward once it has been determined that it's nearly impossible for the Bitcoin economy to split in any significant way. Not every Bitcoin user on Earth has to agree, but enough that there won't be a noticeable split.

Did you somehow miss ^that^ very important message from our sponsor?   Grin

Considering XT as an altcoin is an outright lie. Neither the developers nor its supporters have the intention to use XT as such or even use it if a consensus isn't ultimately reached.  

sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 04:40:05 PM

Its a shame. You don't even sound that convinced by your own arguments.  Smiley

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 05:31:03 PM

I moved it back to speculation, but I've locked the thread for now.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 05:49:07 PM

I do think the founders of Blockstream (mostly gmaxwell and adam3us; the perspectives of the others are somewhat less apparent) have (and, importantly, had; see next paragraph) a different vision for how Bitcoin is supposed to work. Different, that is, from most of the community and also from satoshi's public writings (including the white paper).

You already know adam3us's HashCash is One of the Eight Blessed References in Satoshi's Holy Whitepaper.

Do the authors of all eight of those references, plus the whitepaper itself, agree on everything 100%?

I only know it would be churlish to presume Merkle, Dai, or Back need to be told by reddit's drooling masses stakeholders "how Bitcoin is supposed to work."

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:49:15 PM

Bitcoin is apparently censorship resistant, thus the amount of censorship currently happening is baffling. No greater shame happened on this community historically.

Whether or not I approve of the moderation efforts happening here, I don't really understand this point of view (although I keep seeing it). This is a (private as in ownership) forum for discussing Bitcoin, it has nothing to do with actual Bitcoin technology (which is censorship-proof).

If this forum were somehow built on a distributed block chain, then your observation would be valid.

If anything, this clearly points out why we need Bitcoin in the first place.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:50:24 PM

I moved it back to speculation, but I've locked the thread for now.

Thanks.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:00:41 PM

Whether or not I approve of the moderation efforts happening here, I don't really understand this point of view (although I keep seeing it). This is a (private as in ownership) forum for discussing Bitcoin, it has nothing to do with actual Bitcoin technology (which is censorship-proof).

If this forum were somehow built on a distributed block chain, then your observation would be valid.

If anything, this clearly points out why we need Bitcoin in the first place.

I understand this forum is private and that's not the point. The point is bitcoin goes further than the technology itself as it is also a network of users agreeing to run a specific protocol through an economic consensus. If you stop the users from achieving an informed consensus by censoring one side of a debate than we can say that the technology itself have failed to achieve that consensus of a real free market. One can only conclude that the system is rigged and so is the technology behind it.

In fact, it is very unfortunate that any debate over a free market based system runs over proprietary monopolistic platforms. Which is, I think and as we are witnessing, the weakest link in the system.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:18:13 PM

I want to abandon bitcointalk, but it is difficult if everybody is spread thin all over internet. So where to?
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1352

Cashback 15%

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:37:00 PM

Haven't checked the thread thoroughly, but all I see on the last two pages are off-topic posts (which happens from time to time on that thread.)

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: