Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:36:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs is going to give lifetime warranty  (Read 7538 times)
Jack1Rip1BurnIt (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:27:24 PM

The title says it all. Our favorite magazine talks about it here
http://bitcoinmagazine.net/butterfly-labs-offers-lifetime-warranty-asic-competition-surges-on/

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:32:07 PM

The title says it all. Our favorite magazine talks about it here
http://bitcoinmagazine.net/butterfly-labs-offers-lifetime-warranty-asic-competition-surges-on/

Why wouldnt they announce this sooner?  Why wait until now to tell customers they will be getting a warranty?  Did BFL doubt that they could offer this warranty at some point?
Jack1Rip1BurnIt (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:34:20 PM

It's all about the hype. You can't spend it all at once. You have to give in doses to keep people medicated.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:35:16 PM

I will believe when I hear it from official BFL representative.
d3c0n808

Activity: 434
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:55:08 PM

Good to know they intend to stand by their product.  Hopefully this rumor turns out to be true. 
reeses
Donator

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

Assholier-than-thou retard magnet

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 07:09:46 PM

I do not think 'diaspora' means what you think it means.
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:25:09 PM

I heard about it from the Announcements area in the customers portal. I think that's where the magazine picked it from.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
KIDC

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:43:33 PM

Confirmed: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content.php/121-ASIC-Products-will-carry-a-lifetime-warranty

"He who controls the past commands the future. He who commands the future, conquers the past."
ice_chill

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:47:00 PM

I imagine if it fails in 5 years time, then they will more likely replace the unit of a newer model of similar speed than repair the old one ?
superfastkyle

Activity: 437

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 10:50:38 PM

A reputable company that offers a lifetime warranty, does it because the benefits outweigh the costs. It prevents any unaccounted for loss by making as many loopholes in warranty terms needed, ie not transferable, mandatory registration, warranty seals etc. That's just the way business works. If you have been mining for a while you are likely to outweigh cost/benefit all the time. Some people pick newer 7000 cards for warranty. Others will pay less for a 4 year old 5800 card. Reference designs often take a premium as they seem more reliable. BFL has no way of estimated said costs yet, no way of making any educated guesses the product doesn't exist. Another BFL lie
BFL_Josh

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 11:18:25 PM

There is no loophole.  The warranty follows the board, so you can sell it and the warranty is still intact.  Thus you don't need to register it... because we aren't warrantying the fan (at least not past 6 months or a year), there aren't really any seals we are going to be placing on the unit, either. 

superfastkyle

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 11:38:28 PM

My point was is no company can be expected to fulfill a warranty service they have not done a risk calculation on. The only computer hardware company I have ever heard of selling a lifetime warranty is xfx, and this year they decided it was not sustainable without having a non-transferable clause. You think you can make a device more reliably than xfx? Or maybe you don't and you think oh well asic devices only cost us a few dollars to make. I remember another famous company that went this route, Oakley with their sunglasses. They also have discontinued their lifetime warranty.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 11:40:57 PM

It does provide a use for all the trade-ins, maybe.

If they are going to get stuck with a bunch of old versions as people upgrade, they could use the traded in ones as replacement units for people who ship in an old model on warranty.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
YokoToriyama

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 11:43:47 PM

sounds to good to be true
ice_chill

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 11:52:51 PM

All good memory makers give lifetime warranty.
superfastkyle

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 12:12:00 AM

Maybe I'm missing something but these are my thoughts. I'm not a chip manufacturer or a electrical engineer, but I have built computer systems for almost 15 years. Your 3d model doesn't look right to me, it looks overly complicated. Here are my concerns, I would love you to prove me wrong.

It seems that each of the 8 asic chips has their own 3 or 4 phase vrm. Why would this be necessary? or even preferred? it seems like it would cut down on reliability and raise cost. If a 4 phase vrm can handle a 5870 chip at 150 watts why can't it handle all 8 asic chips at less than 100w

Why doesn't it look more like a video card anyways? Shouldn't the majority of the difference be less RAM, a usb port added and maybe a microprocessor to split the work among the 8 chips

what are the square blocks in the upper right? someone suggested capacitors. if so, why are there so many and such a big size. Its not like we are starting a big motor here.
superfastkyle

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 12:14:28 AM

have you ever had memory fail? I thought I did once but it was incorrectly inserted, lol.

All good memory makers give lifetime warranty.
Jack1Rip1BurnIt (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 12:20:04 AM

Wait, are there people mad now that they have found out if they buy an ASIC from BFL the product will be covered for life? I'm asking this question before I jump to conclusions. Oh btw Visiontek also has lifetime warranties... although I have never owned a product from that company. XFX is the shit! Just sayin'

P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 12:28:16 AM

Maybe I'm missing something but these are my thoughts. I'm not a chip manufacturer or a electrical engineer, but I have built computer systems for almost 15 years. Your 3d model doesn't look right to me, it looks overly complicated. Here are my concerns, I would love you to prove me wrong.

It seems that each of the 8 asic chips has their own 3 or 4 phase vrm. Why would this be necessary? or even preferred? it seems like it would cut down on reliability and raise cost. If a 4 phase vrm can handle a 5870 chip at 150 watts why can't it handle all 8 asic chips at less than 100w

Why doesn't it look more like a video card anyways? Shouldn't the majority of the difference be less RAM, a usb port added and maybe a microprocessor to split the work among the 8 chips

what are the square blocks in the upper right? someone suggested capacitors. if so, why are there so many and such a big size. Its not like we are starting a big motor here.

Please put the rendering down and step away.
superfastkyle

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 12:38:20 AM

Please put the rendering down and step away.

I want someone to answer my questions seriously, I'm not afraid to learn. I don't have as big of a ego as some people on here. Someone who has experience or someone at BFL labs explain what we are looking at?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: