Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 12:36:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin, the NSA and XT...  (Read 1693 times)
mikewirth (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:56:05 PM

Do you think the NSA had a little say via Gavin in preparing the new code being introduced as XT?  Maybe this is their way of getting the core devs who can't be 'turned' out of the way.  Mike has been in favor of 'blacklisting' - another tool popular with NSA.  I suspect there is a little sneaky bit of code slipped into the XT package that doesn't raise red flags.  Maybe that is what this blocksize thing is really about.
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:59:06 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2015, 05:47:03 PM by meono

Do you think the NSA had a little say via Gavin in preparing the new code being introduced as XT?  Maybe this is their way of getting the core devs who can't be 'turned' out of the way.  Mike has been in favor of 'blacklisting' - another tool popular with NSA.  I suspect there is a little sneaky bit of code slipped into the XT package that doesn't raise red flags.  Maybe that is what this blocksize thing is really about.

Excellent way to show the world the IQ sample of bitcoin XT bashers.

Thanks for proving my point.
mikewirth (OP)

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:01:08 PM

Do you think the NSA had a little say via Gavin in preparing the new code being introduced as XT?  Maybe this is their way of getting the core devs who can't be 'turned' out of the way.  Mike has been in favor of 'blacklisting' - another tool popular with NSA.  I suspect there is a little sneaky bit of code slipped into the XT package that doesn't raise red flags.  Maybe that is what this blocksize thing is really about.

Excellent way to show the word the IQ sample of bitcoin XT bashers.

You can't deny Gavin has warmed up to these G men guys before.  If you think the NSA is not good at doing operations undetected, then you don't understand their work. I think XT = NSA
forevernoob

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:01:25 PM

What is your response to the criticism that Mike is anti-privacy?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 04:02:31 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2015, 06:43:23 PM by LaudaM

Well this is just a theory, but there is nothing wrong with discussing it (I will not comment it though).

The block size debate is about taking over control. It's about either putting the trust into the hands of the Core developers or Gavin and Hearn. The question is who do you trust?

Update: I was referring to lead development roles. I was not talking about the trust-less system that Bitcoin is.

At this point I'm pretty sure this runs even deeper than the NSA.  Aliens are trying to take over Bitcoin!  Yes, that's right.  Illegal immigrants.  Taking over Bitcoin.  Shifty fuckers, I always knew we couldn't trust them...
Do you need a tin foil hat with that?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 04:08:22 PM

Well this is just a theory, but there is nothing wrong with discussing it (I will not comment it though).

The block size debate is about taking over control. It's about either putting the trust into the hands of the Core developers or Gavin and Hearn. The question is who do you trust?

And that is the major problem. We should not have to place our trust in anybody when it comes to bitcoin or at least that is how I feel about it. The main thing about bitcoin which convinced me to get involved in the first place was the fact that you could be your own bank and the fact that it operated in a trustless and decentralised manner.
Dissonance

Activity: 167

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:09:49 PM

You can't deny Gavin has warmed up to these G men guys before.  If you think the NSA is not good at doing operations undetected, then you don't understand their work. I think XT = NSA

XT is open sourced, it really doesn't matter who did the coding.  It also doesn't matter is gavin warms up to the G man or is one himself.  The protocol stays the same.

meono

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:12:12 PM

You dont have to trust anyone because this is not your president election.

How many times do i have to repeat this so your brain can digest?

If the fork happens, its because the economic majority's decision. Bitcoin is governed by economic incentives. Or else we would  not have bitcoin today.

If you're not happy with the way bitcoin goes, you can switch to any altcoins as you pleased.

I urge any noobs to remember, what is Bitcoin's "intrinsic" value ?

Hint: there is no such thing as intrinsic value of bitcoin!
Dissonance

Activity: 167

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:32:53 PM

If the fork happens, its because the economic majority's decision. Bitcoin is governed by economic incentives. Or else we would  not have bitcoin today.

If you're not happy with the way bitcoin goes, you can switch to any altcoins as you pleased.

Intrinsic value is a buzz word that nobody seems to understand.  People say gold has intrinsic value because it can be used for things but does anyone beleive that if everyone in the world decided to stop using gold except for industrial purposes that its current price would still be supported.  ofcourse not because the price of gold would crash to almost nothing. Intrisic value doesn't save you from price declines.All  instrinsic value  means is  the asset's value won't goto 0 because it has a use. 

With bitcoin the instrinsic value is again its use case.  If people use bitcoin to transact it has value just like paper currency has value because people transact with it.  The backing of a government does not create the value of currency its the adoption by the public.  If you don;t believe me look at the zimbabwe dollar for proof of a government backed currency that has no value because its citizens did not transact in it.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:17:42 PM

I really wish Satoshi is back now. I think his opinion would end this discussion about XT vs Core once and for all.
I liked Satoshi's deistic approach before, but in times of crisis and when you need to chose democracy is not that good.
And the only thing I trust is Bitcoin Price - and this bullshit debate is taking its toll on it.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 05:19:12 PM

trollmaster  Smiley

meono

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:20:34 PM

Intrinsic value is a buzz word that nobody seems to understand.  People say gold has intrinsic value because it can be used for things but does anyone beleive that if everyone in the world decided to stop using gold except for industrial purposes that its current price would still be supported.  ofcourse not because the price of gold would crash to almost nothing. Intrisic value doesn't save you from price declines.All  instrinsic value  means is  the asset's value won't goto 0 because it has a use. 

With bitcoin the instrinsic value is again its use case.  If people use bitcoin to transact it has value just like paper currency has value because people transact with it.  The backing of a government does not create the value of currency its the adoption by the public.  If you don;t believe me look at the zimbabwe dollar for proof of a government backed currency that has no value because its citizens did not transact in it.

Ding ding ding! and when the economic majority speaks up , open your ears wide open!
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:26:08 PM

Do you think the NSA had a little say via Gavin in preparing the new code being introduced as XT?  Maybe this is their way of getting the core devs who can't be 'turned' out of the way.  Mike has been in favor of 'blacklisting' - another tool popular with NSA.  I suspect there is a little sneaky bit of code slipped into the XT package that doesn't raise red flags.  Maybe that is what this blocksize thing is really about.

trollmaster  Smiley

At this point I'm pretty sure this runs even deeper than the NSA.  Aliens are trying to take over Bitcoin!  Yes, that's right.  Illegal immigrants.  Taking over Bitcoin.  Shifty fuckers, I always knew we couldn't trust them...
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 05:46:41 PM

trollmaster  Smiley

that could be true.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:25:31 PM

- snip -
I suspect there is a little sneaky bit of code slipped into the XT package that doesn't raise red flags.
- snip -

Until you can demonstrate any proficiency in creating or understanding programming, your "suspicions" carry about as much water as a bucket with no bottom.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:39:20 PM

What is raised my eyebrows is 'bctd'  (presumably for 'bitcoin daemon' as the string bitcoind was taken by Satoshi.)  This should not be confused with 'bitcoin dark' which is easy to do.

Anyway, 'btcd' is implemented in the programming language 'go' who's development was significantly sponsored by Google.  One of the things it touts is a clean and well documented implementation which is a widely admitted deficiency in the Satoshi-based C code.

What I find interesting it that it seems to be a well funded effort undertaken by necessarily talented developers, but they are relatively unknown it seems.

Another interesting thing is that it is highly promoted by certain 'old timers' or people who's positions have been puffed up over the last few years through media attention and accolades.  justusranvier comes to mind.

I will be interested to see if it 'makes sense' to switch the reference implementation of XT over to a btcd codebase if/when the takeover by XT from a (none-)fork of the Satoshi codebase gets traction.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6150

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 08:51:47 PM

I don't see where is the problem here to be honest , if youthink NSA = XT and the BitcoinXT is just another open-source software program like Bitcoin Core ..; sooner or later we will know if there is backdoors or whatever so this aint a problem .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 08:56:40 PM

I don't see where is the problem here to be honest , if youthink NSA = XT and the BitcoinXT is just another open-source software program like Bitcoin Core ..; sooner or later we will know if there is backdoors or whatever so this aint a problem .

It would take years for a well place backdoor to be detected, and may never be.  If you are comfortable sacrificing years worth of records of your financial transactions, fine.  Not everyone is.  Even people who don't have a lot to hide.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:11:16 PM

Well, no-one seems to mention about the hardcoded Tor exit nodes in the XT source much, but it's hardly a backdoor; the code couldn't be any more overt, Mike wrote notes explicitly describing it, and that he intends to change it to a file based system, which I still don't think is sensible (and has yet to be committed to the XT source repo). To be continued IMO.

Vires in numeris
sniveling

Activity: 719

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:24:23 PM

I really wish Satoshi is back now. I think his opinion would end this discussion about XT vs Core once and for all.
I liked Satoshi's deistic approach before, but in times of crisis and when you need to chose democracy is not that good.
And the only thing I trust is Bitcoin Price - and this bullshit debate is taking its toll on it.

Sometimes a benevolent dictator system works better than consensus. Linus Torvalds has the final say on what goes into the Linux kernel and it's worked out OK. If anyone wants to try something different they start up a fork, and if it's any good he eventually includes their work in the main Linux kernel. Satoshi would do a good job as a benevolent dictator and sort out this XT mess fast,
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: